Firefox Announces OS Developer Preview Phone - Worth It?
Just announced at the Firefox blog - the Firefox PHONE running Firefox OS!
Firefox OS is a new mobile operating system built entirely using open web standards. In Firefox OS, HTML5 apps can do "phone things" - they can make the phone vibrate, make a phone call or send a text message. These developer phones are being developed by Geeksphone in partnership with Telefonica and Geeksphone.
- CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 1Ghz
- UMTS 2100/1900/900 (3G HSPA)
- GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (2G EDGE)
- Screen 3.5″ HVGA Multitouch
- 3 MP Camera
- 4GB ROM, 512 MB RAM
- MicroSD, Wifi N, Light and proxmity Sensor, G-Sensor, GPS, MicroUSB
- 1580 mAh battery
- Over the air updates
- Unlocked, add your own SIM card
Developer preview phones will help make the mobile web more accessible to more people. Developers are critical to the web and to Mozilla's mission to make the web accessible to everyone. Hundreds of millions of people worldwide use Firefox to discover, experience and connect to the Web. A web based on open standards and open technologies. We couldn't have done this without web developers. Now we are working on bringing the power of the web to mobile, through Firefox OS, along with all the power of open standards and an open community, and once again, we'd like to invite web developers to join us.
Try out Firefox OS
If you're a developer interested in web technologies and mobile, now is the time to try out Firefox OS. Come learn how easy it is to create an app based on HTML that has access to all of the APIs on your device. Using the same web technologies you are used to, you can make your app give alerts by vibrating the phone, take a picture with the camera or more. Play with it, experiment, try out your website, create an app.
You can create an app for Firefox OS by making some small changes to your existing website.
You can try out Firefox OS and your app (if you created one) in several different ways:
- Install Marketplace for Android on your Android phone. (Your friends and family can also do this - it's as easy as installing an app, so they can try out your app too.)
- Use the browser-based Firefox OS Simulator to view and test your mobile app on the desktop.
- Install Firefox OS on your own hardware.
- Purchase a Firefox OS Developer Preview device! Working with Geeksphone and Telefonica we've created a Firefox OS Developer Preview phone especially for developers. Be the first to show off Firefox OS and your app! First phones will be available in February.
Why develop an app for Firefox OS?
- Keep the web open. Support the open web and help make sure the power of the web is available to everyone - even on mobile devices.
- Freedom. You're not locked in to a vendor-controlled ecosystem. You can distribute your app through the Firefox Marketplace, your own website, or any other store based on Mozilla's open app store technology.