ShopRite to Host 'Grand Tasting' Event at the Food Network New York City Wine & Food Festival
Now in its sixth year as a presenting sponsor, ShopRite will once again host The Grand Tasting Presented by ShopRite at the Food Network New York City Wine & Food Festival. The Festival is officially open to the public on Saturday, October 19th and Sunday, October 20th.
This year's Festival is Bigger, Better and Grander, having relocated to a Pier 92/94, at 55th Street and the West Side Highway. Proceeds from the event will once again benefit hunger relief initiatives through the Food Bank for New York City and Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign. The New York City Wine & Food Festival is hosted by The Food Network, Food &Wine and Travel and Leisure magazines. To date, the Festival has raised more than $5 million to help fight hunger.
As one of the Festival's most popular attractions, The Grand Tasting not only showcases ShopRite's premier line of limited edition specialty products, but also offers attendees signature dishes from the city's most respected restaurants and world-renowned wine and spirit makers in a deliciously designed two-day gastronomic experience.
ShopRite customers receive a 10% discount on The Grand Tasting tickets when they present their Price Plus Club Card at checkout. Tickets can be ordered at http://www.nycwff.org.
The Grand Tasting also offers ticket-holders the opportunity to meet members of ShopRite's Potluck blogger panel, who will be blogging live from the event and exchanging cooking tips and recipes with attendees. Hailing from the six states in which ShopRites operates (NY, NJ, CT, PA, DE and MD), Potluck is a community of writers on ShopRite.com who post recipes, reviews and cooking demonstrations using ShopRite Private Label products. Potluck bloggers share their unique perspectives on new products, food, cooking and shopping with their fellow ShopRite customers.
Attendees will also sample recipes created by Lynn Logg, ShopRite's Corporate Executive Chef and head of ShopRite's Culinary Workshop. Chef Lynn will be cooking up the following exclusive recipes at the New York City Wine & Food Festival, featuring ShopRite's own Black Bear brand of European-style hot dogs, meats and cheeses:
- Prime Rib Slider featuring Clayton's Organic Beef, which is sold exclusively at ShopRite stores
- Tricolor quinoa salad, featuring ShopRite's newest addition to its line of grains
- Two Panettone bread pudding desserts, featuring ShopRite's legendary Imported from Italy Panettone. Attendees can choose from a bread pudding with rum soaked raisins and a whiskey Créme Anglaise or carmelized bananas and walnuts topped with a caramel sauce or both. See photo and recipe below.
With more and more people discovering the joys of cooking at home, Chef Lynn's recipes feature a selection of ShopRite Private Label specialty and limited edition ingredients that can make meals a masterpiece at a fraction of the cost of gourmet shops.
Panettone Bread Pudding with Caramelized Bananas & Pecans Served with Caramel Sauce
Serves 15 portions
Bread and Custard
10 cups ShopRite Imported from Italy Panettone (about 2 loaves)
4 large eggs
¾ cups ShopRite brown sugar
1 ½ ShopRite vanilla extract
2 tsp ShopRite cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 cup light cream
2 cups less heavy cream
2 each large bananana, cut into ½" thick pieces
¼ cup ShopRite brown sugar
1-2 Tbs ShopRite butter
½ cup toasted pecans
2 Tbs rum for deglazing
1. Preheat the oven to 300º. Oil a 9x 13" pan and set aside. Cut the Panettone into bite sized pieces and place into the 9x13 pan. Boil a pot of water in preparation for the bain marie. (The bread pudding will bake in a water bath.)
2. For the custard, in a large bowl beat the eggs with the 3/4 cups oF Brown sugar. Add milk, both creams, vanilla, cinnamon, and rum.
3. Heat 2 tbs. butter over medium heat in sauté pan until bubbling. Add sliced bananas. Sauté in butter until they begin to brown. Sprinkle with approx. ¼ cup brown sugar. Continue to caramelize until they are browned and soft, layer on top of bread. Pour custard over. Press cubes down to submerge in the custard.
4. Place 9x13 pan inside larger roasting pan so that it sits completely flat inside the large pan. Add enough hot water so that it comes halfway up the side of the pudding pan. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. If serving later, reheat pan in the oven on low for 30 minutes. Sprinkle bread pudding with confectioner's sugar and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative, based in Keasbey, NJ and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With more than 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than six million customers each week. A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated $30 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. As a title sponsor of the LPGA's ShopRite Classic, ShopRite has raised more than $24 million for local schools, hospitals and community groups. Progressive Grocer named ShopRite its 2011 Retailer of the Year and Supermarket News awarded ShopRite its 2011 Retail Excellence Award. For more information, please visit http://www.ShopRite.com.
About the Food Network New York City Wine & Food Festival presented by FOOD & WINE
The Food Network New York City Wine & Food Festival is hosted by and benefits the Food Bank For New York City and Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign, 100% of the Festival's net proceeds go toward helping these community based organizations fight hunger. Southern Wine & Spirits of New York is the exclusive provider of wine and spirits at the Festival. More information about the Festival can be found at http://www.nycwff.org.