DT Research Rugged Tablet Awarded C1D2 Certification for Safe Operation in Potentially Hazardous Environments
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - FDIC International 2017, April 25, 2017 - DT Research, the leading designer and manufacturer of purpose-built computing solutions for vertical markets, today announced that its DT301 Rugged Tablet has been tested and Class 1 Division 2 Certified to operate safely in hazardous areas where flammable gases, vapors or liquids may be present within sufficient quantities to be explosive or ignitable. The C1D2 certification is recognized as the most widely accepted non-incendive standard in North America for products used in hazardous environments.
As mobile electronic devices become ubiquitous in workplaces across industries, C1D2 certification has become increasingly important to ensure the safety of all workers. Many work environments have both hazardous and non-hazardous areas. In these situations, despite policy and warning signs, there is a high potential that workers may accidentally carry a non-compliant mobile electronic device into a hazardous environment.
With the C1D2 certification, companies in many industries can be confident that the DT301 Rugged Tablet can be used safely in environments where ignitable concentrations of flammable gases, vapors or liquids might exist, such as aircraft hangers, chemical and gas handling areas, dry cleaning facilities, food processing, paint manufacturing and spraying facilities, petroleum and gas processing plants, military environments and textile mills.
"As a company specializing in purpose-built solutions for vertical markets, we strive to adhere to the highest standards required in a broad set of industries," said Daw Tsai Sc.D., president of DT Research. "We are proud to add the C1D2 certification to the robust features of the DT301 rugged tablet, making it a viable solution in many more environments."
As part of the certification, actual explosion tests were performed on the DT301 tablet where hazardous material not normally present in an explosive concentration may accidentally exist through rupture, breakage or unusual faulty operation.
CID2 certification ensures the DT301 Rugged Tablets have the following safety features:
- Hermetically Sealed: Fusion sealed to bar against the entrance of external atmosphere.
- Non-incendive Circuit: Circuits that are not capable of igniting flammable gas-air or vapor-air through an arc or thermal effect produced under the intended operating conditions of the equipment.
- Non-incendive Component: The contacting mechanism for the component is constructed so that the component is incapable of igniting the specified flammable gas-air or vapor-air mixture.
- Non-incendive Equipment: The electrical/electronic circuitry is incapable, under normal operating conditions, of causing ignition of a specified flammable gas-air, vapor-air mixture due to arcing or thermal means.
- Non-sparking Apparatus: Apparatus that has no normally arcing parts or thermal effects capable of ignition.
- Purged and Pressurized: The DT301 Rugged Tablets are purged with a protective gas at a sufficient flow and positive pressure to reduce the concentration of any flammable gas or vapor initially present to an acceptable level and pressurized with a protective gas at sufficient pressure to prevent the entrance of a flammable gas or vapor.
The DT301 Rugged Tablets will be showcased at the FDIC International conference the Lucas Oil Stadium exhibit hall booth 9745 April 27-29, 2017.<