THE AVENGERS is 2012's Highest-Earning Movie Worldwide
THE AVENGERS, Marvel, Box Office
RENTRAK CORPORATION, the leader in multi-screen media measurement serving the advertising, television and entertainment industries, today announced year-end box office figures from the movie industry's box office measurement service, Box Office Essentials and International Box Office Essentials.
"America's favorite pastime is still heading to the movies to watch the thrilling content that was available throughout 2012," said Ron Giambra , President of Theatrical Worldwide at Rentrak. "Not only was box office revenue up, but theater attendance also increased this year."
Domestic receipts were up 5.88% from $10.2 billion in 2011 to $10.8 billion in 2012. International sales grew by 3% to $23.1 billion compared to $22.4 billion the previous year. Strong movie titles brought in theater-goers increasing attendance by 2.5% compared to last year.
The top-12 titles for 2012 based on consumer spending were:
1) Marvel's The Avengers, (Disney NYSE: DIS)
2) The Dark Knight Rises, (Warner Bros. NYSE: TWX)
3) Skyfall, (Sony NYSE: SNE)
4) Ice Age: Continental Drift, (Fox NASDAQ: NWS)
5) Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2, (Summit Entertainment)
6) The Amazing Spider-Man, (Sony NYSE: SNE)
7) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, (Warner Bros. NYSE: TWX)
8) Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, (Paramount NYSE: VIA and VIA.B)
9) The Hunger Games, (Lionsgate NYSE: LGF)
10) Men In Black 3, (Sony NYSE: SNE)