NEW YEAR'S EVE Debuts at Number 1 at U.S. Box Office
NEW YEAR'S EVE beat THE SITTER at the box office this weekend, taking in $13.7 in its debut weekend. The romantic comedy boasts an all-star cast including Ashton Kutcher, Zac Efron, Lea Michele, Jessica Biel, Robert De Niro and Jon Bon Jovi.
Despite the film's successful weekend overall, it proved to be the worst box office weekend since the weekend after Labor Day in 2008, according to Hollywood.com. The news did not bode well for the beginning of the Holiday movie season.
The US box office top ten in full (studio estimates):
1. (-) New Year's Eve - $13,705,000
2. (-) The Sitter - $10,000,000
3. (1) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - $7,900,000
4. (2) The Muppets - $7,070,000
5. (4) Arthur Christmas - $6,600,000
6. (3) Hugo - $6,125,000
7. (7) The Descendants - $4,385,000
8. (5) Happy Feet Two - $3,750,000
9. (6) Jack and Jill - $3,200,000
10. (8) Immortals - $2,442,000
More On: Ashton Kutcher, Zac Efron, Lea Michele, Jessica Biel, , Robert De Niro, Jon Bon Jovi.