Top Pop-Up Shops of 2012 Named
Racked compiled an awesome list of the top pop-up shops of the year. Not surprisingly absent is the Target x Neiman Marcus holiday collaboration pop-up shop. Ones that did make the list? Favorites like Sephora and Warby Parker, plus homemade items from Etsy and charitable causes from 2(X)ist.
Here's a look at Racked's full list:
10. The NFL Pop-Up: For football fans and those who enjoy being around them, the NFL pop-up near Bryant Park was a sports haven, complete with player jerseys, athletic gear, and some weird paraphernalia, like a toaster that would brand your bread with your favorite team's logo.
9. 2(X)IST: This pop-up gets a spot on our list for one very deserving reason: It sprung up a few weeks after Hurricane Sandy and donated 100% of the proceeds of all body-hugging briefs and tees to relief efforts.
8. Horses Cut Shop: The Horses Cut Shop inside of Treasure & Bond was the place this year to get legit graphic tees from local businesses throughout the U.S. So, instead of buying some phony Urban Outfitters tee for a pretend hot dog stand in Tennessee, you could buy a tee from an actual hot dog stand in Tennessee, with a portion of sales going toward those businesses.
7. #Nyancatcity: Yes, the #Nyancity pop-up on Bowery this year was completely dedicated to the Nyan Cat meme. Inside, there were stickers, hoodies, and other Nyan Cat-branded items which, for some reason, included shot glasses.
6. The Etsy Holiday Shop: For the holidays, Etsy set up a a pop-up in Soho and enlisted a string of curators to stock it. Martha Stewart and Tavi were among them, along with NPR contributor Starlee Kine and Advanced Style maven Ilona Smithkin.