WAKE UP with BWW 8/11/14 - Transport's THE MUSIC MAN, Leavel as HELLO, DOLLY!, Patti Murin Gets Literal and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: THE MUSIC MAN sells his wares in concert tonight, HELLO, DOLLY! begins in St. Louis and Patti Murin performs at 54 Below!
Next up in our series of Broadway stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Constantine Germanacos (portrait by Walter McBride), who has appeared in EVITA and will soon be seen in the upcoming Denver production of THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. Make like Germanacos and face Monday head-on! Now, on to the news!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Laura Osnes, Santino Fontana and more will lead Transport Group's starry concert presentation of THE MUSIC MAN tonight!
- Beth Leavel takes the title role in HELLO, DOLLY!, opening tonight at the Muny in St. Louis.
- And Patti Murin takes a 'literal' approach in her show at 54 Below this evening...
NEWS YOU MISSED THIS WEEKEND:
- Noah Racey, Corey Mach, Hayley Podschun, Patti Murin and more will lead Goodspeed's IRVING BERLIN'S HOLIDAY INN world premiere this fall.
- Barrett Wilbert Weed and more joined the cast of Atlantic Theater's FOUND!
- Barrow Street Theatre announced its 2014-15 season, featuring a Yiddish version of WAITING FOR GODOT, BELFAST BLUES with Geraldine Hughes and more!
- Jennifer Tepper announced the eight theaters featured in THE UNTOLD STORIES OF BROADWAY, Volume 2!
- Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's 'Anything Goes' duet debuted at No. 1 on Billboard Jazz Chart...
- Learn more about the lives of FROZEN's Anna and Elsa in a new chapter-book series, launching this winter.
- And finally, we got a first look (right) at Kerry Ellis back in the West End as 'Elphaba' in WICKED!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Mostly sunny with a high of 83 degrees. Not bad for the start of the week!
Quote of the Day: Sound advice from THE MUSIC MAN's lead character Harold Hill...
Oh, my dear little librarian. You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering. -- Harold Hill, THE MUSIC MAN (via IMDb)
What we're looking forward to watching: The film adaptation of LUCKY STIFF, starring a trove of theatre talent, including Jason Alexander, Dominic Marsh, Nikki M. James and more. Check out the trailer below!
Video of the Day: In honor of tonight's concert, watch the opening scene from the 1962 film version of THE MUSIC MAN!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Anna Gunn, who turns 47 today!
Gunn appeared on Broadway in 1996's The Rehearsal and just starred opposite Billy Magnussen in Sex With Strangers at Second Stage. She is well known for her role as 'Skyler White' in AMC's cult series Breaking Bad, for which she won an Emmy Award last year. Among her other TV credits are The Practice, Deadwood and Gracepoint.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!