Page: 1

David Mamet's BITTER WHEAT to premiere in London with Malkovich

The Distinctive Baritone Profile PhotoThe Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.playbill.com/article/john-malkovich-to-star-in-new-david-mamet-play-bitter-wheat

So...how do we feel about this? My preliminary thoughts:

What is a David Mamet play inspired by the Harvey Weinstein accusations going to look like? Mamet is known for being a hardcore conservative who has been accused of misogyny in many of his plays. In Oleanna, also written as a response to sexual misconduct accusations (in that case, those against Clarence Thomas), he clearly sides with the accused. Granted, that play premiered 27 years ago, but has he changed his tune?

Also, what the F is up with the title? I know he likes absurd titles, but come on.

Updated On: 1/29/19 at 02:37 PM
Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I was really interested in this until you mentioned the playwright having a history of mischony and defending assaulters. Would be interesting if they try and turn this guy into a hero lol.

In all seriousness, I'd assume this will be quite a graphic play correct? Intrigued is where I'm at with this right now but nothing more.
Kad Profile PhotoKad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This is probably the last writer I'd want to approach this- other than Neil LaBute, I suppose. 

I assume he'll delight in taking down what was once a major liberal figure. But who knows? Pretty much everything he's written in the last decade has been downright bad, produced only because he's Mamet.

The press release plot summary is bizarre and self-important. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Fordham2015
Stand-by
Stand-by

Malkovich has been a bit snotty in interviews about this, and it's definitely a loaded subject. But that's Mamet's bread and butter- he literally wrote a play called Race.

As one of the only people who liked China Doll (it's no Glengarry, but also not the trainwreck it was made out to be) I'm cautiously optimistic about this piece. Wonder if there'll be a U.S production if British reviews are positive.

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Let's hope Malkovich doesn't suffer the fate of Pacino.  I'm not persuaded Mamet is the best director of his writing.

TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Iím much more interested in the rumored revival of The Anarchist starring Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham.
Niles Silvers
Stand-by
Stand-by

I tired of listening to old white men ranting quite a few years ago. 

zainmax
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

Wonder why it's being done in the UK and not U.S?

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

zainmax said: "Wonder why it's being done in the UK and not U.S?"

Glengarry Glen Ross originally debuted in the UK