Profile for Alex Kulak2

Member Name: Alex Kulak2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Perfect Rhymes vs. Imperfect Rhymes  Jul 13 2020, 06:30:59 PM

GavestonPS said: "Someone in a Tree2 said: "Gaveston, thanks for the nod of approval, sir.
I would probably agree with you that BRIDGES remains one of my two favorite Bway scores of at least the last ten years. Wanna hear my other favorite? The gorgeous but perpetually slant-rhymed HADESTOWN.

See how open-minded I can be in the face of sheer brilliance?
"

And I own all three recordings of HADESTOWN! If I hadn't met you in RL I might th

Perfect Rhymes vs. Imperfect Rhymes  Jul 13 2020, 10:15:48 AM

I wanted to add that I think one of the best lyricists who utilizes slant rhymes, who wrote the songs for the Starkid shows The Trail to OregonThe Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals, and Black Friday. He doesn't rhyme perfectly far more often than he does, often relying on assonance and family rhyme, but with his songs (especially in the latter two shows), you never notice because of how well written the music is and how poetic the lyrics are.

Bad Lyrics  Jul 13 2020, 01:32:51 AM

Ahmy said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "What about them rhyming "power" and "Chihuahua"?"

You can't convince me that Nell Benjamin didn't come up with that rhyme while writing Legally Blonde but couldn't find a place for it in "Serious".

Bad Lyrics  Jul 11 2020, 07:20:50 PM
The really bad clunker in Mean Girls is in “Whose House is This?” when they try to rhyme marijuana with corner. Twice.

Bad Lyrics  Jul 11 2020, 02:30:09 PM
On the topic of Mean Girls:

So your best friend screwed you over
Acted nice but she not nice.

Maybe I’m hearing wrong, but there’s no reason for incorrect grammar there. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Perfect Rhymes vs. Imperfect Rhymes  Jul 11 2020, 12:13:54 PM

The recently resurrected thread on bad lyrics got me thinking about the debate between perfect and imperfect (or slant) rhymes.

I used to be a purist when it came to rhyming in lyrics. It was being exposed to the likes of Hadestown and Hamilton that my opinion became a little more nuanced. Of course, I still believe that a clever perfect rhyme is better than a clever imperfect rhyme, but both are still clever.

On the other hand, I think the

Bad Lyrics  Jul 11 2020, 12:04:56 PM

I'm just gonna say it: Tim Rice hasn't put effort into a lyric since "A Whole New World".

Cry-Baby (2008)  Jul 11 2020, 10:10:13 AM

blaxx said: "Just like Young Frankenstein after Producers, it would have never lived up to Hairspray's hype.

I didn't hate it as much as others did, but let's remember this was a stacked season of great new musicals and astonishing revivals.

I do wonder why you think the book was better than Hairspray's - it was not at all. In fact, you could hear crickets during the painfully long and calculated text scenes, which was opposite to the John Water&

Cry-Baby (2008)  Jul 10 2020, 11:18:38 PM

I recently discovered this show after the passing of composer Adam Schlesinger (who I'm convinced will go down as one of the greatest songwriters to ever live), and I'm fascinated that it's Broadway run was so short, with only 68 performances.

A lot of reviews compare it to Hairspray, which I find fascinating. While I like both shows, Cry-Baby has better songs, a better script, and it feels more like a musical based on a John Waters film.

RIP Nick Cordero  Jul 10 2020, 11:10:12 PM

Tag said: "I'm pretty sure that Amanda said in one of her Instagram live vids that he hadgreat healthcare coverage, so it isn't clear that the gofundme money is actually going toward his hospital bills."

Even with great insurance, 3 months in the ICU isn't cheap. A large portion of the money will probably go to hospital bills. I'm sure Nick would want the rest to be put toward the family's financial security and his son's education.

Carousel 2018 Cast Recording  Jul 10 2020, 11:06:11 PM

Amar Ramasar singing "The people who live inland / Are hard to understand / When you're lookin' for fun / They clap you into jail!" didn't age well.

Jokes aside, the Carousel Waltz is my favorite overture ever. You close your eyes and you can see the horses going up and down on the carousel.

What are Female Heavy Plays with a Male Lead?  Jul 9 2020, 11:40:29 PM

Women Laughing Alone Eating Salad is a play about the commodification of femininity, and it's central character is a man.

Kate Shindle is mad at Bway World  Jul 7 2020, 09:55:17 AM
Did the article mention that the production goes against health guidelines? If so, it could be a case of irresponsible journalism.

The Book (or Lack there of) in a Sung Through Musical  Jul 7 2020, 09:51:38 AM

pathman2 said: "qolbinau said: "I suppose Hamilton is a little different because it was all written by the same person..."

Someone, who should be in the know but who I won’t throw under the bus,once told me that Hamilton hada different book writer who was let go. I have no way of confirming this (and I’ve always treated it as gossip), but wonderedif anyone had heard the same. These tidbits about La Cage and Kinky Boots are so interesting. Boo

The Book (or Lack there of) in a Sung Through Musical  Jul 6 2020, 08:47:08 AM

nasty_khakis said: "Sondheim almost always asks his collaborator to write a scene or monologue with no intention of it going into the actual show, but he'll lift lines, character. and mood from it. He's always said if you say "write a torch song here" he's terrible but if you wrote him a little paragraph about a woman in a bar wearing a red dress and drinkinga grasshopper he could write something.

Another famous example is when Harvey Weinstein wrote

The Book (or Lack there of) in a Sung Through Musical  Jul 5 2020, 11:17:26 PM

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Not to mention setting descriptions, character descriptions, stage directions, etc - things which the audience won't hear spoken or sung, but that influence what they see."

A lot of the story in American Idiot is told through the stage directions. That's why most productions end up really muddled. They can't effectively tell the story through performance and subtext, as they're conditioned to use dialogue li

RIP Nick Cordero  Jul 5 2020, 09:41:57 PM

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-amanda-kloots-nick-cordero-amp-elvis

His GoFundMe is still open. I would implore anyone with the means to donate to help the family with hospital bills, funeral costs, their security, Elvis' education.

RIP Nick Cordero  Jul 5 2020, 09:23:19 PM

Heartbreaking for Amanda and Elvis. At least he's finally at peace.

An interesting take on streaming...  Jul 5 2020, 12:05:41 PM

Wasn't this the original game plan with BroadwayHD?

I know a lot of the problems with filming shows is the red tape the unions put up, but what about livestreams of shows? Do those count as well?

I think the way this could work is if it's treated like sports games: presented live with recording discouraged. The main problem is that most filmed shows have to have pickup shots, filmed without an audience in case someone flubs a line, or misses a cue, or you want to film so

4th of July poll: Favorite American History Theater That's NOT Hamilton?  Jul 4 2020, 02:52:15 PM

The Kentucky Cycle

You must log in to view off-topic posts.