Profile for The Distinctive Baritone

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
Member Name: The Distinctive Baritone
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a regionally-based theatre actor, director, and educator.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Plays that would work particularly well on zoom?  Jul 10 2020, 01:40:56 AM

I have applied for the virtual streaming rights for A LOT of plays over the past couple of months. Most “famous” ones have been denied unless the author is still alive to give their blessing. The estates are almost all saying no. No Pinter, Albee, Ionesco, or Beckett - pretty much all of the absurdist stuff that would work best over Zoom. It has been really frustrating. Caryl Churchill plays are available however.

EDIT: Caryl Churchill is still alive at 81. I guess

OUR TOWN revival starring Dustin Hoffman; Bartlett Sher directs  Jul 2 2020, 12:56:06 PM

Dustin Hoffman has always been one of my favorite actors, so I'm really sad to hear about those allegations. The one involving the 16 year old is especially horrible. Part of me is like, "But it was 35 years ago! Maybe he's learned since then!" and another part of me is just like, "I never want to see anything he's in ever again." Ugh.

And yeah, he's about to turn 83. Not to be ageist, but The Stage Manager is a hard role to memorize for even younger

Young Jean Lee v/s Jeremy Harris  Jun 11 2020, 04:38:43 PM
Having been through a rigorous MFA conservatory program myself, I’m not sure Jeremy’s treatment was that unique...and I’m white. Basically, they tell you in one on one sessions why you suck, and if you don’t say “Thank you sir may I have another” you’re told you’re “difficult” and “unwilling to receive feedback.” A lot of drama schools are kind of abusive that way.

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 7 2020, 08:59:16 PM
joevitus -

I hear what you are saying, but it could also be argued that a non-black person telling a black person how to tell a black story is inherently kind of racist, isn’t it?

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 7 2020, 01:09:00 PM

A lot to digest in this interesting and important thread. I will say that although I applaud Griffin Matthews for speaking out about his experience doing Invisible Thread, after watching his video, I read some reviews for the show (which I have not seen) and they were all pretty much pans. Is this because the critics were white and the show wasn't for them in the first place? Is it because Diane Paulus and her team whitewashed a show that was originally much better? I don't know. But

Sea Wall Andrew Scott  May 18 2020, 11:35:34 PM
I thought it was very good, but having no real knowledge of it beforehand, I had no idea what I was getting into and as the father of a little girl I found it quite upsetting. Very well written, perfectly acted, but...too dark for my taste (and I normally love dark).

BTW a lot of people seem to believe that Andrew Scott recently made this in quarantine by himself. This film was actually made around 2012.

SOME LIKE IT HOT Musical to Have World Premiere in Chicago in 2021  May 15 2020, 07:46:39 PM

The new rule for producing theater is "don't depend on boomers to show up" and so now they are fast tracking THIS to Broadway? Even if it's good, who's going to go see it?

Actors being fired / replaced  May 14 2020, 10:54:15 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Wait, what was the main reason?? The reviews he got? I know his dad’s house had caught on fire that time and his fiancé just had the baby last month."

The reviews for the out of town tryout in Chicago we’re not kind to him - or the show in general. The producers panicked and replaced him with the beloved Andy Karl, whose reception proved that the problem was never Kazee’s performance, it was just a poorly writt

Concord Theatricals acquires HADESTOWN Licensing Rights  May 14 2020, 02:55:31 PM
I am sure rights won’t actually be available for some time though. Surely Hadestown will be back on Broadway, even if the tour never gets going. I remember MTI tauted the Miss Saigon and Les Miz rights for like a decade before they were no longer “restricted” (and I think they still are to a degree).

Classic threads on this forum  May 13 2020, 09:14:28 PM

These threads do give me nostalgia for back when a) Members could write whatever they wanted within reason without being policed b) This board was often filled with discussions that were well-informed, passionate, and fascinating. If things really went off the deep end, or a post was really inappropriate, it got deleted, but there were great discussions. I used to really love going to this board.

Beauty & the Beast Disney Memories  Apr 19 2020, 02:00:39 AM
I saw it during the first year of its original run. One of my first Broadway shows. Chuck Wagner, the standby, was on as the Beast. Many years later I met him and told him I saw him as the Beast when I was twelve and he said, “Thanks for making me feel old!” lol

Bootlegs during Quarantine  Apr 4 2020, 09:50:09 PM

If the show is closed, I say bootlegs are not a big deal. If the show is still running, that is a problem because the show might lose business if people can watch it for free on YouTube (or whatever their "supplier" is).

Grey Gardens Revival?  Mar 15 2020, 05:53:17 PM

IdinaBellFoster said: "It could work as a Roundabout revival. CAROLINE faced a similar financial obstacle."

It would indeed have to be a Roundabout production. The original Broadway production ended in the red and it’s a show with a pretty niche market. I loved it though.

Hadestown cast replacements  Feb 25 2020, 10:08:34 PM
The EPA role breakdowns each say, “An offer is out for this role,” which probably means all the principals have been asked to stay but have not officially signed yet.

New WICKED Cast Replacements this month and next?  Feb 13 2020, 08:00:40 PM
Yeah I was curious to see how many Elphabas have had a longer run, and according to Playbill.com, hardly any of them have ever gotten contracts longer than around nine months, and they never get renewed, although they sometimes come back later for a short stint. It’s kind of weird.

What Musicals do you think should be performed more often in High Schools?  Feb 10 2020, 08:11:56 PM

JBradshaw said: "Question to those who direct high school shows.

I know budgets are factors but how do you pick the shows?
"

I teach at a relatively small school, so I have to basically pre-cast at least the major male roles. Who we have is honestly the biggest factor.

I also teach at a pretty conservative school, so that eliminates quite a lot of shows.

It is rare that any of my students have any dance experience whatsoever, so

Anything new on Almost Famous...  Jan 29 2020, 11:34:35 PM

OuttaTowner said: "Interesting that they’re not showing the part of William as being cast. Casey Likes received near glowing reviews, so I’m sure that the producers are hoping to sign him. "

It says all roles are cast, and they are seeking only a standby for William. Seems like all of the premiere principals are transferring.

Could LOVE NEVER DIES arrive on Broadway 2020?  Jan 28 2020, 02:21:30 PM

The announcement of this "world tour" actually strikes me as further confirmation that any plans to bring it to Broadway are dead. The obvious move would have been to have brought the North American tour to Broadway for a limited engagement, and they didn't, so I guess they are focusing their money/energy elsewhere...

Phylicia Rashad Into the Woods question  Jan 26 2020, 11:08:41 PM
I stand corrected...

Was the double an understudy or anything as well, or was that their entire job? Did they get a new double just for those ninety seconds, or have a white girl go in “witch blackface?” Now I have to know...

Phylicia Rashad Into the Woods question  Jan 26 2020, 12:09:53 PM
I imagine they wore the same makeup/prosthetics, even if it was a white woman. I imagine they didn’t change it much for Rashad anyway.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.