Broadway Casting Director Fired for Sexual Misconduct

Kad Profile PhotoKad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

leefowler said: "Is it wrong for a Broadway director to invite cute chorus boys to his Fire Island house? It seems like that would be the best part of being a Broadway director."

No.

But it's wrong to force yourself on them or coerce them into having sex in exchange for the promise of employment.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
WhizzerMarvin Profile PhotoWhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Kad said: "leefowler said: "Is it wrong for a Broadway director to invite cute chorus boys to his Fire Island house? It seems like that would be the best part of being a Broadway director."

No.

But it's wrong to force yourself on them or coerce them into having sex in exchange forthe promise ofemployment.
"

It also can create a lot of pressure for those wanting roles to go to these parties. If you see that the ten people who went out to The Pines party all ended up getting hired, even if they all went consensually and even happily, then you might feel the only way to land a role is to go out to one of these parties too. It can create a culture where people feel like sex is just part of the bargain- even if they’re attracted and into it- to get cast in a show. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

And let's face it- this person we are alluding to has done a lot in his career to form expectations for what modern chorus boys look like (like underwear models).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
newintown Profile Photonewintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"It can create a culture where people feel like sex is just part of the bargain- even if they’re attracted and into it- to get cast in a show."

What's all this "CAN" create stuff?

Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Those more concerned about the fate of their favorite show or director should be ashamed. We, as a society, have entered a new era. We're finally confronting and believing and pursuing, rather than denying and shaming. Don't be on the wrong side of history. Support the victims and focus on their recovery. We're talking about human beings here. A musical on Broadway pales in comparison. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile PhotoMayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

Here here, Liza. As Lea Salonga mentioned on Twitter: "Broadway will survive." There is a pervasive culture in the theater world, where men promise all sorts of things to actors in exchange for sex. I've experienced it as well as many other performers I know. Its always a very pressured situation, and if the coming exposures start the much needed progress towards changing this environment then I'm all for it. 

Also: does anyone else find it weird that Playbill is the only major Broadway outlet reporting this? BroadwayWorld, Theatermania, Broadway.com are all radio silence. They'll only be able to avoid mentioning it for so long (aka Monday) before they will look silly.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Also: does anyone else find it weird that Playbill is the only major Broadway outlet reporting this? BroadwayWorld, Theatermania, Broadway.com are all radio silence. They'll only be able to avoid mentioning it for so long (aka Monday) before they will look silly."

BWW has a story on it, paraphrasing Variety.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Broadway-Casting-Director-Terminated-Over-Sexual-Misconduct-Allegations-20171130

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
phan24 Profile Photophan24 Profile Photo
phan24
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

wssinsider said: "Also the producers of the “My fair Lady” have also let go Telsey and company. They are not longer Casting the show.
So far Hello Dolly and My Fair lady have switched casting directors.
"

Telsey & Co have been let go from Carousel as well.

haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "My only hope is that child actors aren’t among victims."

Should we really start making up worst case scenarios? 

Clyde15
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I have very few connections directly to New York theatre so I am fascinated to see who is exposed on Monday. I can only imagine this will just be the beginning.
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

haterobics said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "My only hope is that child actors aren’t among victims."

Should we really start makingup worst case scenarios?
"

Anthony Edwards

Anthony Rapp

https://twitter.com/JennyHatch/status/936579915213705216

IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

phan24 said: "wssinsider said: "Also the producers of the “My fair Lady” have also let go Telsey and company. They are not longer Casting the show.
"

Telsey & Co have been let go fromCarousel as well.
"

Sounds like all Rudin productions will move from Telsey.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Anakela said: "haterobics said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "My only hope is that child actors aren’t among victims."

Should we really start makingup worst case scenarios?
"

Anthony Edwards

Anthony Rapp

https://twitter.com/JennyHatch/status/936579915213705216

"

That woman also seems very wrapped up in Pizzagate, so I wouldn't take her to be a serious journalist.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Also: does anyone else find it weird that Playbill is the only major Broadway outlet reporting this? BroadwayWorld, Theatermania, Broadway.com are all radio silence. They'll only be able to avoid mentioning it for so long (aka Monday) before they will look silly

Um...BroadwayWorld and Variety posted articles on it YESTERDAY. Also NJ.com, the Daily News and NewNowNext.

GoogleNews is your friend.

Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That twitter account is BONKERS.

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

phan24 said: "wssinsider said: "Also the producers of the “My fair Lady” have also let go Telsey and company. They are not longer Casting the show.
"

Telsey & Co have been let go fromCarousel as well.
"

Good.   

And I whole-heartedly agree with Liza's Handbag's last post.  100%

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Why is everyone so happy about Telsey being fired from shows, when they fired their accused employee? Am I missing something? Is the entire organization forever tainted by just having once had such an employee?

Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

No one seems particularly happy about it.

The implication from earlier in this thread was that there's more to this than Huff being let go.

JudyDenmark Profile PhotoJudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

newintown said: "Why is everyone so happy about Telsey being fired from shows, when they fired their accused employee? Am I missing something? Is the entire organization forever tainted by just having once had such an employee?"

This is what I'm not understanding either. Is this a notoriously pervasive issue with the entire Telsey company? Seems weird to remove the whole agency's involvement from a show because of the actions of one director who's been fired. 

newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"No one seems particularly happy about it."

Well, dramamama611 just wrote "Good" in response to Telsey being let go from My Fair Lady and Carousel... That sounds "happy," doesn't it?

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just like Weinstein....there is NO way they didn't know about it, and looked the other way.    And it's unlikely that he's the only one.  There was talk...someone here even confirmed it.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 12/1/17 at 03:08 PM
Feste Profile PhotoFeste Profile Photo
Feste
Stand-by
Stand-by

Elsewhere in this thread, it is mentioned as a being a part of the prevailing culture at that office. 

I don't know, I'm no longer an actor and have never auditioned for them. But things have been said in this thread alone. 

JSquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

newintown said: "Why is everyone so happy about Telsey being fired from shows, when they fired their accused employee? Am I missing something? Is the entire organization forever tainted by just having once had such an employee?"

Thank you.  Although I'm not at all surprised by it, I really don't get the lynch mob mentality of many in this thread.  So much joy with each new ALLEGATION and gleeful grabbing of pitchforks and torches.  The east and west coast liberal factions are now so focused on turning on their own in these sex scandals, and the media is practically ignoring the important things --- like the republican tax bill and health care --- which is exactly what the repugs want. 

newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I guess "guilty by rumor until proven innocent" is the new normal.