Profile for JudyDenmark

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
Member Name: JudyDenmark
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Jewish Broadway Stars  Feb 28 2020, 12:13:39 AM

There are a lot of Jews in the entertainment industry in general, because at the turn of the century it was a brand new industry in the US, and was one of the few that would hire Jewish immigrants... who were mostly living in cities where the new industry was focused. So they really helped build it (movies, Broadway, etc) from the ground up, and here we are today.

Loudest gasp you've heard in the theatre  Feb 13 2020, 10:32:19 AM

Without question the end of American Son. Still think about that gasp. 

2020-2021 Touring Season  Feb 10 2020, 11:59:21 AM

njf1003 said: "JudyDenmark said: "Anyone know when Nashville announces?"

As posted earlier in the thread. 2/23 at 10 am. But if it's like the last few years it'll leak early. And I'm assuming you've the teaser.
"

Thank you! Apologies for not noticing earlier in the thread - I was paying attention to Tampa but just started checking for a friend who lives in Nashville. I just dug through their Facebook feed and saw

Broadway Break Up Songs?  Feb 7 2020, 05:15:38 PM

"Shine Like the Sun" from 9 to 5 is great! 

2020-2021 Touring Season  Feb 7 2020, 05:14:24 PM

Anyone know when Nashville announces? 

2020-2021 Touring Season  Feb 7 2020, 08:44:19 AM

zachvandyke said: "Does anyone know what time Tampa announces their season today?"

Tampa announced:

To Kill a Mockingbird - October 6-11, 2020
Escape to Margaritaville - Oct 21 - Nov 1, 2020
Tootsie - November 17-22, 2020
Hadestown - December 1-6, 2020
The Band's Visit - Dec 29, 2020 - Jan 3, 2021
The Prom - Feb 9-14, 2021
Cats - April 27-May 2, 2021

With options:
Wicked - Jan 13-31, 2021
Dear Evan Hansen

2020-2021 Touring Season  Jan 31 2020, 04:19:30 PM

Tampa (Straz Center) is doing their preview event for subscribers on Monday 2/10, and they usually announce the season on social the day before. 

NY POPS R&H Concert with Laura Michelle Kelly and Max von Essen?  Jan 26 2020, 11:09:14 PM
Thank you so much! I was pumped when we decided the women would get to sing Dame along with the men - that one is so much fun and I was admittedly jealous, haha.

NY POPS R&H Concert with Laura Michelle Kelly and Max von Essen?  Jan 26 2020, 12:11:58 AM

I was there...singing in the chorus. :) Glad you enjoyed! Some of the best music ever written for sure.

BEST MUSICAL 2020  Jan 21 2020, 02:19:59 PM

I agree on these five:

Six
Jagged Little Pill
Moulin Rouge
Flying Over Sunset
Girl From The North Country

Flying Over Sunset is of course the big wild card, but if that doesn't wow I anticipate Girl From the North Country taking the W. It's kind of a repeat of 2018 and Band's Visit winning despite very mixed audience perception - the rave reviews set it apart, and I expect that the Bway transfer will be as well-reviewed as the Off-Bway production.

Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?  Oct 25 2019, 07:39:26 PM
Sounds good - appreciate it!

Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?  Oct 25 2019, 11:06:53 AM
Help an ignorant old(er) person out: When you’re talking about signed Playbill requests, are you sending your own Playbill with a SASE? Or just writing a letter saying how much you loved the show and asking for one?

Asking on behalf of my friend who went to Beetlejuice yesterday with her daughter who dressed as Lydia and LOVED it, but didn’t get to go to the stage door. (They were in the front row and apparently Sophia smiled at her and said “great costume” at the end of the curtain ca

Are most vocal selections pretty similar from what actual broadway musicians have to play?  Aug 26 2019, 11:52:19 AM
PiPlayer, if I’m reading correctly between the lines of your question, and you want to be learning the actual piano/keyboard orchestral part from a show, know that many of those Piano/Conductor scores ARE available to anyone. Just make sure that that’s what you’re searching for wherever you typically get your sheet music.

Favorite Show & Song From Each Composer  Aug 6 2019, 01:20:07 PM
I have a project due that I’ve been avoiding like the plague. Bless you for this, haha.

Rodgers & Hammerstein - Oklahoma, the title song

Kander & Ebb - Chicago, Cell Block Tango

Lerner & Loewe - Eh, but I guess My Fair Lady & On the Street Where You Live

Stephen Sondheim - Sweeney Todd, but Unworthy of Your Love for the song

Andrew Lloyd Webber - JCS, Everything’s Alright

Ahrens & Flaherty - Once On This Island, One Small Girl

Alan

Songs that boost your mood  Jun 20 2019, 01:39:16 PM

Shine Like the Sun from 9 to 5
Simple Joys from Pippin
Here I Am from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Romeo & Juliet from Reefer Madness
Carnaval del Barrio from In the Heights

....I mean, so many. But those just came to mind. 

Girl From The North Country - Broadway  Jun 19 2019, 02:23:59 PM

I had such mixed feelings about this at the Public, so am looking forward to giving it another try. LOVED the music, and I listen to the London recording all the time (Dylan + new vocal arrangements = happy Judy), but I think the book went over my head because I mostly had no idea what was going on. It opened a few days after I saw it, so the reviews helped clarify a few things, but I still think I need to do some digging before going back.

I did think the whole Public cast was gr

Biggest Tony upset of all time?  Jun 19 2019, 10:21:48 AM

Matilda not winning Best Score is a total travesty, for School Song, Quiet, Telly, and so many more reasons... but if you're defining an upset as a jaw-dropper for the audience, I find it hard to call it an upset when there was no way Cyndi Lauper was losing that award.

Funniest song in 2018-19 season  Jun 12 2019, 10:37:19 AM

For me it's Changing Lives or It's Not About Me from The Prom. There are so many little witty references. Really everything that Leavel/Ashmanskas/Sieber/Schworer sing.

MITB Tony's Reactions  Jun 10 2019, 05:28:12 PM

To be fair, though... whatever's being said online is being missed by an entire theatergoing demo. I like to use my 70-something parents as a gauge, since they regularly see shows and are consistent ticket-buyers, but don't spend any time reading about theatre online... and are definitely not on Twitter. And they had no clue whatsoever that the bathroom song they enjoyed at the Tonys last night was a parody of Be More Chill until I told them. (And even then I'm

Things For Tony Hosts & Presenters To Retire?  Jun 10 2019, 03:52:46 PM

evic said: "men calling other men GIRL."

God, this x1000

You must log in to view off-topic posts.