Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for PalJoey

PalJoey Profile Photo
Member Name: PalJoey
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 4 2020, 09:57:00 AM

Philippa Soo, Leslie Odom, Christopher Jackson, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Daveed Diggs. Each one giving a magnificent performance, worthy of awards. And the staging and design are as award-worthy as the writing and the performances. And for all that to happen with such a sophisticated and nuanced telling of history--and for us to be able to see it as this precise moment in history--it's really a miraculous creation.

West Side Story (1961)  Jul 4 2020, 09:35:17 AM

My gut feeling is that the Spielberg/Kushner (Tony, not Jared) version is going to be great, and I am as big a Robbins purist as they come.

RIP Larry Kramer  May 28 2020, 01:47:51 PM
This clip, from the excellent documentary about Act-Up called "How to Survive a Plague," shows Larry castigating his "children" at a difficult moment when the organization he created was being split into two.

RIP Larry Kramer  May 28 2020, 01:44:43 PM

Here's a nice remembrance of Larry by writer Adam Green, son of Adolf Green and Phyllis Newman.

Adam Green in Vogue: A Righteous Fury and a Capacious Heart: Remembering Larry Kramer

Larry would not want his memory to be sugar-coated. He could spit venom and castigate friends and foes alike with the fire and brimstone of an Old Testament prophet. But then he would turn around

Love the BWW design update!  May 18 2020, 04:15:42 PM

As an old, old, OLD timer, let me say, "It looks great!" 

And I hope the old private messages return. I have some from Lin Manuel Miranda that I treasure.

(Not to mention some from NYadgal I treasure even more!)

New York Times Dance Critic Reviews WSS  Feb 25 2020, 11:19:56 AM

ljay889 said: "PalJoey will love this review."

Finally someone understands that Jerome Robbins's staging and choreography is not just a collection of dances and steps but the primary manner of storytelling in West Side Story. The Jets are defined by the choreography of the Prologue, the Gym, and Cool; the Sharks are defined by the choreography of the Prologue and the Gym; Anita is defined by the choreography of the Gym and America.

Robbins's works

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020  Feb 20 2020, 11:03:49 PM

Anyone else looking forward to the Steven Spielberg/Tony Kushner movie?

Remdiner Universal pushed back the film adaptation of Wicked for Cats  Jan 2 2020, 11:00:55 AM

Over their respective lifespans, Wicked has made FAR more money than Cats. I believe the #1 money-making musical is Lion King, followed in descending order by Phantom, Wicked, Cats, Les Mis, and Mamma Mia.

Sondheim NY Philharmonic Concert  Jan 2 2020, 10:54:43 AM

I'm a Follies purist, but I loved Katrina Lenk's take on both songs.

SO I'm blacklisted  Dec 31 2019, 11:49:34 PM

SO I'm blacklisted  Dec 31 2019, 11:42:35 PM

SO I'm blacklisted  Dec 31 2019, 11:41:18 PM

Jason Danieley deserves love and so much more....  Dec 11 2019, 10:26:54 PM
You are loved, Jason. More than you will ever know.

Meanwhile, let's all support him by buying this.

https://www.broadwayrecords.com/cds/marin-mazzie-amp-jason-danieley-broadway-amp-beyond-live-at-feinsteins54-below

The album benefits The Actor’s Fund, Cancer Support Community and Tina’s Wish.

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread  Dec 10 2019, 06:58:05 PM
Their mistake was thinking that the Jerry Robbins choreography was just some dances someone came up with. How could they NOT have understood that Jerry Robbins was more than a choreographer in this particular case. He was one of the AUTHORS of West Side Story and his movement is every bit as integral IN THIS CASE as the words and music.

Also stupid was not understanding that the collaboration between Bernstein and Robbins on this particular show is one of the great achievements of twen

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread  Dec 10 2019, 02:34:50 PM
How long until they fire Van Hove?

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread  Dec 10 2019, 02:21:27 PM

The ghost of Jerry Robbins is smiling today.

Lenny is happy too.

John Simon 1925-2019  Nov 26 2019, 01:50:52 PM

Michael Feingold puts John Simon into the proper critical perspective:

Michael Feingold: The Tragedy of John Simon

This board in the old days  Nov 17 2019, 09:42:26 AM

What Patti Murin and Steven Pasquale failed to understand was that the message board, in its pre-Facebook heyday, was a NOT a "fetid, squalid, toxic cesspool of hate" (or whatever she called it), but a meeting place where theater fans of different generations, different tastes, different loves, different obsessions came together and shared, compared, argued, and LEARNED FROM EACH OTHER. And, in many cases, we came to respect, admire, and even love each other. That we w

How would Ivo van Hove ruin your favorite show? (Twttter thread)  Nov 14 2019, 09:50:02 PM
Thanks for the due respect, kdogg!

FOLLIES Film, Helmed by Dominic Cooke, Has Been Greenlit  Nov 14 2019, 09:44:58 PM

This will stink.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.