WICKED to Celebrate 10th Anniversary on Broadway with 10th Anniversary Event on 10/30, Deluxe CD & More
On Wednesday, October 30th, the blockbuster musical, WICKED, will celebrate its 10th Anniversary on Broadway, a milestone achieved by only ten other Broadway productions in history. The creative team and many of the musical's previous cast members will celebrate Wicked's first decade with a special performance, followed by a company party, on October 30th at 7:00pm. In addition, special promotions and appearances will be scheduled throughout the month of October, in celebration of the show's enduring worldwide popularity.
WICKED currently has nine productions around the world, in New York, London, Japan (Tokyo), Australia/New Zealand (Auckland), South Korea (Seoul), Latin America (Mexico City), a U.K. Tour (Manchester), and two concurrent North American National Tours. Since its New York premiere a decade ago, the WICKED has grossed over $3.1 billion worldwide and has been seen by over 38 million across the globe. By the end of 2013, the global phenomenon will have been performed in over 100 cities in 13 countries around the world (U.S., Canada, England, Ireland, Japan, Germany, Holland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, The Philippines, and Mexico) and has thus far been translated into five languages: Japanese, German, Dutch, Spanish, and Korean.
WICKED is currently represented in North America with two concurrent national tours as well as the open-ended Broadway production. In its 10-year history, the musical has also enjoyed extended, record-breaking sit-down engagements in Chicago, where it ran for 3 ½ years; Los Angeles, where it ran for 2 years; and San Francisco, where it ran for 1 ½ years. WICKED has grossed a combined total of nearly $2.3 billion for its North American companies alone.
In honor of its 10th Anniversary, WICKED will be celebrated throughout October and beyond with several promotions and fan opportunities.
- On November 19th, VerveUMe will release a special WICKED Deluxe Edition CD, featuring the 19-track Original Broadway Cast Recording plus bonus tracks, including the brand-new hit, "Popular Song" by MIKA (featuring Ariana Grande). The album will be available digitally on October 29th.
The 2-CD set will also include new deluxe packaging featuring the show's 10th Anniversary artwork, and a bonus booklet with new, updated essays by composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz, and Gregory Maguire, the author of Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, the novel on which the musical is based.
Additionally, a special 10th Anniversary Collector's Edition Vinyl of the Original Broadway Cast Recording will be released and available for purchase at the Gershwin Theatre and online at www.wickedthemusicalstore.com.
- The NBC Experience Store in Rockefeller Plaza will become a destination for all WICKED fans from October 20th - November 1st with a special display of WICKED costumes, memorabilia and merchandise.
- The American Airlines Terminal at JFK Airport will look a lot like Oz between October 15th and November 30th when the"World of Wicked" will be installed in the terminal, featuring a replica of Glinda's bubble and a special "Behind the Emerald Curtain" museum display.
- A special initiative for WICKED's over 1 million Facebook fans and social media followers is "30 DAYS OF FLIGHT," an opportunity for WICKED to give back to the legions of fans that have helped make the musical a global phenomenon. Each day for the first 30 days of October, one WICKED fan will be chosen and celebrated by members of the Broadway company via video, email, or social media. Plus, a handful will be selected to receive special prizes from the company, including autographed memorabilia and items from the show. Like WICKED on Facebook or follow WICKED on Twitter @WICKED_musical to see which fan is chosen each day to become part of our month-long celebration.
- A long-time fan of WICKED, celebrity and fashion manicurist Deborah Lippmann has created a nail polish collection based on the magic of Oz. This limited-edition collection celebrates the show's 10th Anniversary with a trio of shades, each named after one of the show's songs (Defying Gravity, Popular, and One Short Day). The collection is available for a limited time only and sold exclusively at Sephora stores, Sephora.com and deborahlippmann.com.