WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - April 29, 2014 - It's Tony Tuesday! 2014 Nominations and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
Think of the prestige... Think of the respect... Think of... the Tony! Tony...Tony...Tony...Tony...Tony!
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- It's Tony Tuesday! Broadway vets Jonathan Groff and Lucy Liu are poised to announce this year's Tony Award nominations in half an hour. Tune in LIVE here!
- The company of Encores! IRMA LA DOUCE meets the press today, so stay tuned for photos and video...
- Plus, there are two off-Broadway galas tonight - TACT will honor A.R. Gurney (info here) and The Wooster Group is hosting its 2014 spring benefit, featuring Steve Buscemi and more...
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- Tony news first, of course. Yesterday we learned that New York's Signature Theatre will receive this year's regional Tony Award; plus, Carnegie Mellon has been selected as the Tony Awards first higher education partner - they're teaming up to honor K-12 theatre educators!
- Speaking of Signature Theatre, the cast for their new musical PIECE OF MY HEART has been announced...
- And in more awards season news, Andrea Martin, Billy Porter, Victoria Clark and more have signed on as presenters for the 2014 Outer Critics Circle Awards next month.
- This headline struck like lightning, and we are so excited - FOX will present a live broadcast of the musical GREASE!
- To everyone's delight, FROZEN queen Idina Menzel said she would "absolutely" star in a Broadway adaptation of the Disney animated film.
- Broadway's CINDERELLA is heading out on tour in October (when pumpkins are in season). Check out the list of dates here! Also in tour news, the LA-based Actors' Gang will take A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM on an international tour this summer.
- Off-Broadway's Vineyard Theatre has extended TOO MUCH SUN, starring Linda Lavin, through June!
- Also in June, The Public Theater will honor Marvin Hamlisch as part of its 2014 gala, ONE THRILLING COMBINATION; and Irish Rep will host its own 2014 gala, with Joel Grey, Melissa Errico, Max von Essen and more...
- Alice Ripley, Colin Donnell, Matt Doyle and more will star in a concert version of BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY at 54 Below next month!
- Vassar has announced its 30th anniversary Powerhouse Theater season, with four workshops featuring Michael Greif, Beth Henley and more!
- Nicholas Rodriguez will star as TARZAN at The Muny in St. Louis this summer, and we can't wait to learn the casting lineup for the rest of the season...
- And finally, we got a first look at THE THREEPENNY OPERA at D.C.'s Signature Theatre (here) and THE SOUND OF MUSIC at the Lyric Opera of Chicago (here)!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Cloudy with scattered rain showers. High of 49. Icky weather, but who cares? TONY NOMS, RAIN OR SHINE!
Quote of the Day: A flashback to the 2013 Tonys ceremony, when Cicely Tyson won for THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL...
"'Please wrap it up,' it says. Well, that's exactly what you did with me: You wrapped me up in your arms after 30 years."
-- Cicely Tyson (2013 Tony Awards acceptance speech)
What we're watching (or will be soon!): Just released today, THE RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN COLLECTION on Blu-ray, featuring film adaptations of the duo's musicals SOUTH PACIFIC, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, OKLAHOMA!, CAROUSEL, THE KING AND I and more!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Jerry Seinfeld, who hits 60 today!
Seinfeld directed and produced Colin Quinn's one-man show LONG STORY SHORT on Broadway in 2010 and starred in Jerry Seinfeld: LIVE ON BROADWAY in 1998. The comedian recently created the web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, as well as the TV series The Marriage Ref. He is best known for starring in the cult TV show Seinfeld and has also appeared in Curb Your Enthusiasm and more. Seinfeld is currently developing a Broadway play with Seinfeld creator Larry David, and we hope to welcome him back to the Great White Way sooner rather than later!
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!