Dance/NYC Presents 2017 Symposium, 3/5
Dance/NYC is pleased to invite you to its 2017 Symposium. Join us for our morning session: Designing a Future for Dance Education led by Paul L. King, Executive Director, Office of Arts and Special Projects, NYC Department of Education, and Shirley Levy, Chief of Staff, Department of Cultural Affairs. Research will be presented by Melanie Lorek, Cultural Policy Research Fellow, The Graduate Center, CUNY.
This session seeks to advance the goal of cultural planning underway by New York City of "increasing arts education and cultural activities in the schools of the city school district" (Local Law 46). It takes as its starting point a presentation of new research findings on arts education activities made available to public school students, both in and out of school time, through the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs and Department of Education, and invites respondents and participants to consider, what is next for dance? What will it take to advance excellence and equity in dance instruction, and what should the dance field recommend for the cultural plan? How can the schools and dance and culture groups work together to achieve shared goals?
- John-Mario Sevilla, Director, 92Y Harkness Dance Center (Moderator)
- Jody Gottfried Arnhold, Founder, Dance Education Laboratory (DEL) 92Y
- Zazel-Chavah O'Garra, Artistic Director, ZCO/DANCEPROJECT
- Cathryn Williams, Director, Arts in Education & Community Programs, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- Ana Nery Fragoso, Director of Dance, Office of Arts and Special Projects, NYC Department of Education