WAKE UP with BWW 4/2/2015 - SKYLIGHT, LuPone Carries a TORCH, 'RIGHT NOW' and Lucille Lortel Noms!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: SKYLIGHT opens on Broadway, Patti LuPone returns to 54 Below, 'RIGHT NOW' opens off-Broadway, and the Lucille Lortel nominations will be unveiled today!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- SKYLIGHT, starring Carey Mulligan and Bill Nighy, opens on Broadway tonight!
- MY NAME IS RACHEL CORRIE returns Off-Broadway, and THE UNDENIABLE SOUND OF RIGHT NOW opens tonight at Rattlestick.
- Patti LuPone comes back to 54 Below this evening in THE LADY WITH THE TORCH...
- And the 2015 Lucille Lortel Award nominations will be announced today!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Kenny Leon is adapting Tavis Smiley's Maya Angelou memoir for the stage...
- Lindsay Mendez will star in Roundabout's world premiere of SIGNIFICANT OTHER.
- We got a first look (right) at THE VISIT on Broadway; plus photos and footage from SKYLIGHT!
- GROUNDED, starring Anne Hathaway, has moved its opening night.
- An electrical fire caused the cancellation of several West End shows last night...
- On a lighter note, MAMMA MIA! will celebrate its 16th Anniversary in the West End this month, and the BEAUTIFUL, HERE LIES LOVE and more will perform at the 2015 Olivier Awards!
- And Anna Kendrick has signed on for the movie MIKE AND DAVE NEED WEDDING DATES.
Broadway Weather Forecast: High of 62 degrees and mostly sunny! Spring is finally here!
Quote of the Day: A word from SKYLIGHT star Carey Mulligan...
"It doesn't matter what you feel - ultimately, it's what the audience feels. You can finish a scene and think to yourself, 'Oh, God. I was so deep in that moment,' and find it just didn't play. I don't know if I have very good radar about that or not."
-- Carey Mulligan (via BrainyQuote)
Video of the Day: Watch Vanessa Hudgens talk about Broadway's GIGI and perform 'I Never Want to Go Home Again' on LIVE WITH KELLY AND MICHAEL!
And a Happy Birthday shout-out to Clark Gregg, who turns 53 today!
Gregg made his Broadway debut in A Few Good Men. He also appeared off-Broadway in the Atlantic's Happy Hour in 2011; Gregg was a founding member and former artistic director of the company. Among his other NY stage credits are Unidentified Human Remains and The Old Boy at Playwrights Horizons. He has also directed several theatre productions, including Distant Fires in NY and LA, Edmond off-Broadway and the serialized play, The Big Empty. He is well known as 'Phil Coulson' in the Iron Man movies, Thor and Marvel's The Avengers, as well as the TV series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Among his other TV credits are The New Adventures of Old Christine, The West Wing and Will & Grace. Gregg made his screenwriting debut with the film What Lies Beneath and his directing debut with Choke.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!