WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - Tony Nominees Meet the Press, 'RED-EYE' Opens Off-Broadway and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- The 2014 Tony nominees meet the press today, so be sure to check back for our interviews and more over the next couple of days!
- New York Theatre Workshop's RED-EYE TO HAVRE DE GRACE opens tonight!
- Tony winner Swoosie Kurtz celebrates the release of her new memoir 'PART SWAN, PART GOOSE' at Barnes & Noble in NYC today.
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER leads the 2014 Tony nominations with 10. Check out the complete list here! Plus, read the nominees' reactions and go behind the scenes with photos and video from the announcement!
- Despite a Tony nomination for leading lady Estelle Parsons, THE VELOCITY OF AUTUMN announced it will close this Sunday...
- THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS will transfer to the West End this fall following its run at the Young Vic!
- Oscar nom Michael Shannon will star in Theatre for a New Audience's THE KILLER, beginning next month off-Broadway.
- Get a double-dose of diva this summer when Carol Burnett inducts Kristin Chenoweth into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame!
- It's a gala-filled time of year, and Monday's Actors Fund celebration of Disney on Broadway raised $1.6 million; plus, Playwrights Horizons announced that Bryce Pinkham, Chip Zien and more will participate in its May event, hosted by David Hyde Pierce and Mary Testa.
- Look out for a broadcast of Mel Brooks' recent one-night-only show at the Geffen...
- And finally, some inspiring news! MOTOWN's Valisia LeKae announced that she is cancer-free!
Broadway Weather Forecast: I don't feel any pain / A little fall of rain / Can hardly hurt me now... Cloudy and rainy with a high of 50 degrees.
Quote of the Day: Interesting revelations from Idina Menzel (Tony-nominated for IF/THEN)... Is majoring in theatre too limiting? What do you think?
What we're looking forward to watching: THEATRELAND. Featuring best buds and outstanding thesps, sirs Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, this documentary film goes behind the scenes of a West End production of Samuel Beckett's WAITING FOR GODOT. Get it on DVD in May!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Sheldon Harnick, who turns 90 today -- wow!
Three-time Tony-winning Broadway lyricist Sheldon Harnick's works include The Apple Tree, The Phantom Tollbooth, Fiddler on the Roof, Cyrano - The Musical, She Loves Me, The Madwoman of Central Park West, Rex, The Rothschilds, Baker Street, Man in the Moon, Tenderloin, Vintage '60, Fiorello!, Portofino, The Body Beautiful, The Littlest Revue and many more. In 1960, Harnick, Jerry Bock and book writer Jerome Weidman won the Pulitzer Prize in Drama for Fiorello!.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!