WAKE UP with BWW 6/10/14 - Equity Awards, 'BIKE', 'NIGHT', 'NEW GIRL' Off-Broadway, LaBelle AFTER MIDNIGHT and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: Actors' Equity doles out awards, off-Broadway is teaming with new shows, Patti LaBelle struts into the guest-starring role in AFTER MIDNIGHT and more!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- OUTSIDE MULLINGAR's Peter Maloney and CASA VALENTINA's Mare Winningham will receive the Richard Seff Award from Actors' Equity this afternoon!
- It's a busy night off-Broadway! Opening this evening are MCC Theater's THE VILLAGE BIKE, FLY BY NIGHT at Playwrights Horizons, and Atantic Theater's OUR NEW GIRL.
- Patti LaBelle joins AFTER MIDNIGHT tonight as the first of the show's summer guest stars! Be sure to check back later for photos.
- Stage and screen actress Emily Bergl debuts TIL I GET IT RIGHT at 54 Below tonight, and Telly Leung and more will appear at the 'WE'LL TAKE MANHATTAN' benefit for Operation Smile at New World Stages!
- The movie adaptation of the musical KISMET is out on Blu-ray today...
- And finally, Cheyenne Jackson, Alexandra Silber and more star in San Francisco Symphony's new live recording of WEST SIDE STORY, which hits the shelvs today!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- We got a look at the 'In Memoriam' segment that didn't air during the Tonys broadcast Sunday night! Plus, check out photo highlights from the ceremony and the Tony Awards gala (here). Oh, and if you're still wondering why the heck host Hugh Jackman hopped through the opening number, we have the answer!
- Tony winner Bryan Cranston is teaming with Steven Spielberg on an ALL THE WAY TV mini-series!
- The Public released first photos of Lily Rabe, Hamish Linklater, Brian Stokes Mitchell and more in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING at the Park!
- We found out that Judy Craymer is in development with the MAMMA MIA! team on a new musical...
- Taylor Swift and Alicia Keys might be joinining Jennifer Hudson on a FINDING NEVERLAND concept album.
- We saw new photos of Norm Lewis and Sierra Boggess in PHANTOM!
- The JERSEY BOYS movie unveiled one of its final scenes, featuring the tune "Who Loves You?"
- The TV series YOUNGER, starring Sutton Foster, revealed its first promo.
- President Obama called director Ryan Murphy to personally congratulate him for his work on HBO's THE NORMAL HEART...
- And OF MICE AND MEN recouped its investment on Broadway!
Broadway Weather Forecast: High of 82 with showers in the morning and scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Quote of the Day: Wise words from Patti LaBelle...
What we're reading: KILLER JOE, which launched the career of Pulitzer Prize- and Tony Award-winner Tracy Letts. It's out now via TCG Books, and we can't put it down (at least not until we can see another stage production...)
Black wrote '8', a staged reenactment of the federal trial that led to the overturn of California's Proposition 8. A reading was originally presented as a fundraiser to benefit American Foundation for Equal Rights, for which Black is a founding board member. It was held at Broadway's Eugene O'Neill Theatre in 2011, and featured a slew of stars, including Ellen Barkin, Matt Bomer, Morgan Freeman, Cheyenne Jackson, Jay Armstrong Johnson, Larry Kramer, Christine Lahti, John Lithgow, Rory O'Malley, Rob Reiner, and Bradley Whitford. Black wrote the screenplay for Milk, for which he received an Academy Award in 2008; he also penned several episodes of the HBO drama series Big Love.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!