Jason Robert Brown, Anika Larsen and More Set for LaGuardia Arts High School's PEACE, LOVE & THE POWER OF SONG Benefit, 5/19
On May 19th in Manhattan, LaGuardia Arts High School Parents Association will celebrate "Peace, Love & The Power of Song" with a tribute to alumnus and folk legend Peter Yarrow.
Mr. Yarrow will be the recipient of the LaGuardia High School Hall of Fame Award. As part of the group Peter, Paul And Mary, Mr. Yarrow is best known for the hit songs "Puff the Magic Dragon," "Blowin' in the Wind," "If I Had a Hammer " and "Leaving on a Jet Plane."
Peter Yarrow has recieved countless awards for his humanitarian efforts including the prestigious Allard K. Lowenstein Award for advancing causes of human rights, peace and freedom and a 2003 Congressional Resolution recognizing his achievements and those of Operation Respect, an organization he founded to promote the infusion of social and emotional learning principles into school curricula, which currently operates in over 20,000 schools.
- Jason Robert Brown: Tony-winning composer, lyricist, playwright, Bridges of Madison County
- Milton Glaser: Iconic artist, graphic designer, alum
- Andrew Keenan-Bolger: Actor, director, author, filmmaker
- Don Roy King: Emmy-award-winning director of Saturday Night Live, LaG parent
- Anika Larsen: B'way actor, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, Drama Desk, Tony nominee
- Jessica Molaskey: Jazz and Cabaret Entertainer, Broadway Veteran, LaG parent
- Ruben Santiago-Hudson: Tony winner for Seven Guitars, Emmy nominee, LaG parent
- Ally Sheedy: Award-winning actress of stage, screen and television; author
- Jay Ungar & Molly Mason: Emmy-nominated acoustic duo, LaG alum
- AND OUR LaGUARDIA STUDENTS!
The "FAME" school enjoys an international reputation as the first and foremost public high school dedicated to nurturing students gifted in the arts. LaGuardia students receive pre-conservatory training in Art, Dance, Drama, Instrumental and Vocal Music, and Technical Theater. As a specialized high school, LaGuardia accepts approximately 600 students per year from over 10,000 applicants. LaGuardia Arts alumni roster reads like a Who's Who of the Arts including Adrien Brody, Omar Epps, Adrian Grenier, and Nicki Minaj. Last year's Hall of Fame award went to showLOSE SPACE: THIS SHOULD BE ONE WORD biz legend Ben Vereen.
The LaGuardia Arts Gala is the Parents Association's premier fundraiser. For more information and to purchase tickets or sponsorships, visit http://bit.ly/lagala14. The event is set for May 19th, 7:30 p.m. at the LaGuardia Arts Concert Hall, 100 Amsterdam Avenue, NYC. Tickets: $120 and $250 (which includes Gala VIP After-Party).