Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Actors who revived their starring roles on Broadway?

David10086 Profile PhotoDavid10086 Profile Photo
David10086
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Aside from Carol Channing in Hello Dolly , and Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard , have any other leading actors who debuted their characters in the original run, ever revived their characters on Broadway? If so, who would hold the record for longest span? I would guess Channing for debuting Dolly in 1964, and reviving the character in 1994?
Hot Pants Profile PhotoHot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Both Joel Grey and Alan Cumming as The Emcee.
imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

It's probably Yul Brynner, who played the King of Siam for the first time on Broadway in 1951 and for the last time in 1985. 34 years apart, 4 more than Channing's first and last outing as Dolly

Updated On: 7/16/20 at 11:08 PM
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yul Brynner returned to Broadway in The King and I twice, first in 1977 and then again in 1985.

Rex Harrison was in the short-lived revival of My Fair Lady in 1981.

Ethel Merman starred in a revival of Annie Get Your Gun in 1966.

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Also, Alvin Ing played the Shogun's Mother both in the original Broadway production of Pacific Overtures (1976) and the revival (2004). But that's the only role he played in both, since in the original production he also played the Observer, the Merchant and the American Admiral, while in the revival he was the Old Man, in addition to singing Chrysanthemum Tea. Not a leading role, but a pretty memorable one.

Updated On: 7/16/20 at 11:16 PM
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Cathy Rigby did several engagements of Peter Pan on Broadway.

rattleNwoolypenguin
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Wow the fact they still let Yul Brenner play the King again in the 80s....cringey.
Elfuhbuh Profile PhotoElfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 80’s weren’t as woke as people like to pretend. Minstrel shows were still popular in the 90’s, to add some perspective here.
"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
LarryD2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

John Cameron Mitchell - Hedwig (original was Off-Broadway, but same idea)

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not a record but didn’t Lansbury revive Mame?
"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
carnzee
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
Wow the fact they still let Yul Brenner play the King again in the 80s....cringey. "

Well, considering this was before Miss Saigon with Johnathan Price...

Scarywarhol Profile PhotoScarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Stephanie Mills in The Wiz

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

qolbinau said: "Not a record but didn’t Lansbury revive Mame?"

Yes she did, at the now Gershwin.  I was at the first preview, which was mayhem with Mame and Lansbury devotees.  Alas, there were not enough of them.

Also, Zero Mostel revived Fiddler at the Winter Garden, for a limited engagement of (I think) 20 weeks.  Since that could not have returned its investment, I assume that it was part of a national tour.  I remember that the top price was $20, which I seem to recall was about 30% more than anything else at the time.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
toottoot
Understudy
Understudy

Richard Kiley returned to Man of La Mancha several times after the original Broadway production.

Not really a starring role, nor did she originate it, but Lonette McKee would appear as Julie LaVerne in both revivals of Show Boat that occurred in the late 20th century. It seems to follow a pattern as a great many actors from the original production subsequently appeared in a revival several years later, including Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan.

Does Ann Reinking count? She was a replacement in the original run of Chicago and would go to star in the opening night cast for the revival. 

LarryD2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

toottoot said: "Richard Kiley returned to Man of La Mancha several times after the original Broadway production.

Joan Diener also replaced Sheena Easton as Aldonza over the course of the early '90s revival.

George in DC Profile PhotoGeorge in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
Understudy
Understudy

Hal Holbrook did his "Mark Twain Tonight" 3 times on Broadway.

While Maureen Stapleton didn't originate the part of Amanda in "The Glass Menagerie" she did revivals in  1965 and in 1976.

Updated On: 7/17/20 at 04:20 PM
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Seeing Yul B as The King of Siam in the 80's, was one of the most memorable theatre experiences I've ever had.  It was not cringey at all.  Not at all.  

He was a legend.  

Updated On: 7/17/20 at 05:46 PM
cliffordbradshaw2
Understudy
Understudy

Ron Moody was the original Fagin in "Oliver!" when it premiered in London in 1960.  He played Fagin again in the short-lived Broadway revival of 1984 (with Patti LuPone).

John Cullum recreated his Tony-winning lead in "Shenandoah" on Broadway in 1989.

Richard Burton was Arthur in the original 1960 Broadway "Camelot."  He played the role again 20 years later, at the New York State Theatre, which probably doesn't qualify as Broadway.  Likewise, Hershel Bernardi was the third Tevye in the original "Fiddler," and headed up his own revival at the New York State Theater in '81.

Updated On: 7/17/20 at 06:29 PM
David10086 Profile PhotoDavid10086 Profile Photo
David10086
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thanks for all the replies! I didn’t realize there were so many. I thought Channing and Close were two of the very few. I was wrong!!
gypsy101 Profile Photogypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

nealb1 said: "Seeing Yul B as The King of Siam in the 80's, was oneof the most memorable theatre experiences I've ever had. It was not cringey at all. Not at all.

He was a legend.
"

wasn’t it a little odd that a non-asian played the king of Siam?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

gypsy101 said: "nealb1 said: "Seeing Yul B as The King of Siam in the 80's, was oneof the most memorable theatre experiences I've ever had. It was not cringey at all. Not at all.

He was a legend.
"

wasn’t it a little odd that a non-asian played the king of Siam?
"

Not in 1951 or among the other non-Asian principals in the cast.  Only a few of the children in the cast had Asian heritage.  

henrikegerman Profile Photohenrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

nealb1 said: "Seeing Yul B as The King of Siam in the 80's, was oneof the most memorable theatre experiences I've ever had. It was not cringey at all. Not at all.

He was a legend.
"

Also, the King has no age frame in the libretto.  He can be 30 or 70.  And Yul certainly had the appeal in the 80s, as I recall he looked great. 

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
John Raitt starred in the revival of CAROUSEL at Lincoln Center
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

toottoot: "Not really a starring role, nor did she originate it, but Lonette McKee would appear as Julie LaVerne in both revivals of Show Boat that occurred in the late 20th century. It seems to follow a pattern as a great many actors from the original production subsequently appeared in a revival several years later, including Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan."

Paul Robeson was not in the original Broadway production of Show Boat. That was Jules Bledsoe as Joe.

Elfuhbuh:"Minstrel shows were still popular in the 90’s, to add some perspective here."

You're going to have to prove that.