Profile for imeldasturn

imeldasturn Profile Photo
Member Name: imeldasturn
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Kings of Broadway - YouTube Concert  May 31 2020, 02:18:47 PM

West End and Broadway actors are singing songs by Sondheim, Jerry Herman & Jule Styne in this online concert currently being streamed on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJDw-bfSn8&feature=youtu.be

A list of the stars featuring include:

Liz Callaway, Michael Colbourne, Deborah Crowe, Jordan Lee Davies, Louise Dearman, Janie Dee, Fra Fee, Rob Houchen, Damian

#blacklivesmatter and Broadwayworld  May 31 2020, 03:19:17 AM

I'm sure the Wicked team did it with the best intentions, but the cheesy, childish image and caption are condescending and reductive to say the least, there is a time and place for that kind of disneyfied crap and it's not now.

Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF  May 29 2020, 12:24:27 AM

Yes, it was absolutely gorgeous at the Menier, and Andy and Judy Kuhn were such a heavenly combination. But Andy in particular was brilliant, he redefined the role for me.

LOVE LETTERS With Bryan Cranston & Sally Field Streams Tonight 5/21  May 25 2020, 05:55:59 PM

I just finished watching it and wow this ranks among Sally Field's finest performances ever

WHO was Ethel Merman, the person?  May 25 2020, 03:37:06 PM
Arthur Laurents wrote that the try out of Gypsy overlapped with Passover and Jule Styne invited the leads to a Seder. Merman was sitting in the place of honour and as soon as she sat she took a ham sandwich out of her bag and put it on the plate.

"Jule went livid. She was his star, but it was his Seder; her ham sandwich fouling his plate could not be ignored. He picked it up, threw it on the floor, and said 'Ethel, you're insulting the waiters!'

"Then, behind her back where she

A little night music original production information  May 23 2020, 01:57:29 PM

Here's an audio clip of Len Cariou announcing the Vietnam ceasefire at the end of the first preview of the Boston try-out

It's a bit quiet but the audience's reaction is fantastic 

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 23 2020, 12:01:35 PM
Pretty much every new musical Kristin Chenoweth is attached to seems to never go further the workshop level

CONFIRMED: FUNNY GIRL REVIVAL SHUT DOWN  May 21 2020, 06:04:07 PM

The Funny Girl revival is the theatrical equivalent of the Wicked movie

What musical is said to be unpopular and obscure, but actually isn't?  May 20 2020, 09:53:40 PM

Every now and then a new thread on underrated shows pops by and I'm always amazed by some of the answers. I was looking right now at a 2018 thread on the topic and several people mentioned "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder". Now, it might not have been the new Wicked in terms of commercial success, but can a show that ran for over 900 performances and won four Tony Awards (including Best Musical) really be considered underrated? I think not.

A little night music original production information  May 20 2020, 04:53:37 PM

jv92 said: "All I know is that Grimes was considered for Desiree, and then when Johns became ill durring previews, was considered as a replacement. Johns recovered and Grimes never went on. I don't think she ever played the role, though I'm not entirely sure. "

Apologies if I resuscitate a ten year old thread, but it's such a fascinating read and we were talking about A Little Night Music in the replacements thread. 

Grimes was indeed contacte

Actors being fired / replaced  May 20 2020, 02:53:58 PM

It has probably been posted already, but Garn Stephens was fired during the Boston try-out of A Little Night Music and replaced by D'Jamin Bartlett in the role of Petra before the show opened on Broadway. I think Len Cariou said that he much preferred Stephens' Petra and that he thought her Miller's Son was sexier. 

Sam Mendes Gypsy (2003)  May 19 2020, 04:35:37 PM

This thread is also a great reminder of what a magnificent performer Maureen Moore is. She went on pretty regularly for Bernadette, especially during previews when she was struggling with a respiratory infection. Partly because of that, Maureen was vocally stronger than Peters (who was, by the way, an excellent Rose) and her acting was terrific as well. On a meta level, it was thrilling to see someone like Maureen Moore, who has spent most of her career in the wings as a standby, ta

Best Broadway song ever?  May 17 2020, 01:05:59 AM

OlBlueEyes said: "Ol’ Man River will soon be a hundred years old. Show Boat hasn’t been revived in over thirty five years, even though that Hal Prince revival ran for 1000 performances at the Gershwin. Expensive and difficult?

Over twenty five, not thirty five. The Hal Prince's revival ran from 1994 to 1997

CATS  May 16 2020, 05:20:23 PM

John Partridge's ass in that black lycra was such a ring of keys moment for 12 year old me

Best Broadway song ever?  May 16 2020, 05:18:06 PM

Jarethan said: "Sutton Ross said: "Soliloquy

Without You

Let It Sing

Go Back Home

Dotty and Caroline
"

Could you identify the shows. Most of the somgs are not ringing a bell.
"

Soliloquy - Carousel

Without You - Rent

Let It Sing - Violet

Go Back Home - The Scottsboro Boys 

Dotty and Caroline" - Caroline

Little night music dream cast  May 14 2020, 02:21:56 PM
Also, the 2009 Studio 54 concert cast was pretty dreamy: Natasha Richardson (Desirée), Vanessa Redgrave (Madame Armfeldt), Victor Garber (Henrick), Christine Baranski (Charlotte), Jill Paice (Anne), Steven Pasquale (Henrick) and Benjamin Walker (Frid)

Little night music dream cast  May 14 2020, 02:11:45 PM

nasty_khakis said: "I really really long to see Mary Beth Peil play Madame Armfeldt. I know she did a concert of it in Greece or somewhere somewhat recently, but she would make a perfect Madame on broadway."

Morocco, and yes, I agree, she's such an underrated actress. Also it's always nice when people go full circle and play both Desiré and Madame Armfeldt. I think the only people to have done that are Glynis Johns, Peil, Penny Fuller and Daphne Anders

Broadway Roles that win Tonys  May 12 2020, 11:17:45 PM

Mrs Lovett too. Although Lansbury is the only one who won a Tony for it, both Beth Fowler and Patti LuPone were nominated. In London, all the three ladies who played Lovett in major productions of Sweeney Todd were nominated to the Olivier Award, with Julia McKenzie and Imelda Staunton actually winning it for their performance. 

Broadway Roles that win Tonys  May 12 2020, 10:31:15 PM

InTheBathroom1 said: "For Musicals:

Dolly from Hello, Dolly! has 2

"

Pearl Bailey also won a special Tony Award for her Dolly in 1968

re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'  May 12 2020, 09:45:42 PM

This should be Julia McGirt when she replaced Jennifer, for reference

You must log in to view off-topic posts.