Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for toottoot

Member Name: toottoot
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Diana going to Netflix  Aug 7 2020, 06:11:46 PM

That trickster Eauity at it again! 

I do love this concept though. Broadway having an open sign that they can just flip on for Netflix, so business resumes as per usual except theaters stay closed apparently. Diana, whoever she is, is filmed. They close up shop. Grrr at least open the theaters so people can get exposed to this thing!!!!!!! Eauity!!!!!!!!!!

Roles synonymous with an actor BUT didn’t win the Tony  Aug 5 2020, 10:03:53 PM

Jarethan said: "I think you pointed out some truly appropriate names at the end; however,your earlier names were sort of N/A. Ellen Greene and John Cameron Mitchell never played Broadway, so they were not eligible. Not sure if that was the intention of the subject -- I assumed they would at least need to be eligible for a Tony to be mentioned. I may be wrong here, but I do not recall that Tim Curry ever played on Broadway in Rocky Horror."

Sure - I ackn

Roles synonymous with an actor BUT didn’t win the Tony  Aug 5 2020, 07:34:01 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "^JCM was rewarded with a honorary Tony in 2015, so that's great

!!!  how did I somehow totally miss this...? thank you for sharing! 

Roles synonymous with an actor BUT didn’t win the Tony  Aug 5 2020, 05:04:01 PM

Tim Curry in The Rocky Horror Show

Ellen Greene in Little Shop of Horrors and John Cameron Mitchell in Hedwig and the Angry Inch - though, in both cases, they originated their respective roles off-broadway, and JCM would serve as a replacement in the Hedwig revival. Nevertheless, they both have a pretty remarkable stamp on their characters and sadly were never awarded for it. 

I suppose Gwen Verdon in Sweet Charit

Phantom to change to  Jul 21 2020, 12:36:58 PM

Lot666 said: "toottoot said: "I opted to ask around, and someone involved with the Broadway production said they understand that it's only planned for the London production. Of course, caution that it is all a bunch of hearsay. But that's what I learned, fwiw."

I've heard the opposite from NY cast members.
"

Iiiiiiiiinteresting. I'm going to personally withhold which area of production my sources are from, but I'll sim

Heroes of the Fourth Turning  Jul 20 2020, 09:27:48 PM

InTheBathroom1 said: "Was it just me or was that like really bad?

Performances are great but written so poorly. People don’t talk like that, especially conservatives. The fact that it was a Pulitzer finalist is baffling.
"

That's not just you. It's a disaster of a play. 

Phantom to change to  Jul 20 2020, 09:03:50 PM

I opted to ask around, and someone involved with the Broadway production said they understand that it's only planned for the London production. Of course, caution that it is all a bunch of hearsay. But that's what I learned, fwiw.

Heroes of the Fourth Turning  Jul 18 2020, 08:38:51 PM

lachri5 said: "Is it just me or it hasn't started? I'm seeing a black screen with repeated recording of birds chirping"

That's it. That's the whole play.

Actors who revived their starring roles on Broadway?  Jul 18 2020, 08:37:05 PM

nmartin said: "toottoot: "Not really a starring role, nor did she originate it, but Lonette McKee would appear as Julie LaVerne in both revivals ofShow Boatthat occurred in the late 20th century. It seems to follow a pattern as a great many actors from the original production subsequently appeared in a revival several years later, including Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan."

Paul Robeson was not in the original Broadway production of Show Boat

Broadway Musicals with a Solo Piano Orchestration  Jul 18 2020, 08:29:26 PM

Sticking with off-broadway, Gutenberg! The Musical! employed a lone piano player for the orchestra. 

If the cast recordings are any indication, Forbidden Broadway only ever uses a solo pianist. But I'd be curious to hear if they ever fleshed it out more for the live show.

Actors who revived their starring roles on Broadway?  Jul 17 2020, 03:07:03 PM

Richard Kiley returned to Man of La Mancha several times after the original Broadway production.

Not really a starring role, nor did she originate it, but Lonette McKee would appear as Julie LaVerne in both revivals of Show Boat that occurred in the late 20th century. It seems to follow a pattern as a great many actors from the original production subsequently appeared in a revival several years later, including Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan.

What are Female Heavy Plays with a Male Lead?  Jul 15 2020, 09:47:52 PM

Boeing-Boeing 

What Are Great Musical Roles That Don’t Sing Much  Jul 15 2020, 09:37:42 PM

Everyone in Contact for sure! (h'yuk yuk) Most/all of these are supporting roles though. 

First that comes to mind is the Narrator / Mysterious Man track in Into the Woods. A great role, and is essential to 4 songs in particular, only actively singing in 2 of them ("No More" being the one with the biggest emotional impact). It's a role that has often gone "Rex Harrison" in casting. I know the Mysterious Man

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 10 2020, 05:50:50 AM

LarryD2 said: "Of course the provocative tone is intentional. But the call for equity in theater isn't performance art. Treating it as such only undermines the cause. The We See You folks are inviting people not to take them seriously."

Aye, in fact, I feel silly for phrasing it in a way that would make any indication that the call for equity is in any way being messaged using theatrical tactics. I'll give that some more thought as I'm now curious how I r

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 10 2020, 05:42:09 AM

poisonivy2 said: "This one is a real head-scratcher:

Production job descriptions must use language that is free of unconscious bias, such as “years of experience” requirements for production staff. !

Production job descriptions must not have education requirements, which, by implying that coming from a certain degree or institution you are somehow more qualified than someone else, create a barrier to the hiring of BIPOC production staff.

H

Ben Platt Wants to Return to Broadway  Jul 10 2020, 03:15:23 AM

Sutton Ross said: "You can put your energy into anything you want, and I'll do the same. See how that works? Many people here have stated they dislike or don't care for certain performers on Broadway. It's the same thing here. Trying to control and dispute one person's opinion seems like a giant waste of your time."

That's rich coming from you, sugar. haha

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 9 2020, 09:44:37 PM

I found it rather glorious. The tone is intentional, and anyone who thinks folx are not 100% aware how it comes across and that it may make The Great White American Theater go on the defense are sadly mistaken. For years BIPOC workers in the theater industry have tried to make their case, and every. single. time. they are met with "let's meet in the middle" at best or flat out "you're putting me in a corner." And enough is, well, enough. People don't just jump

(Almost) All White  Jul 7 2020, 04:32:02 PM

With all due respect to Lin Manuel Miranda, it thoroughly violates ethical casting code and only feeds into the violent practice of white washing. White non-Latinx actors should not be playing Latinx characters. It's really simple. 

Broadway Dream Casting  Jul 5 2020, 07:03:24 PM

Katrina Lenk as Edith Piaf

OUR TOWN revival starring Dustin Hoffman; Bartlett Sher directs  Jun 30 2020, 11:26:23 PM

Wealthy white man with troublesome reputation produces the 1000th revival of dead white man's Play, directed by white man, starring problematic white man, set to open during [insert date when nobody knows we'll be able to do anything but continually suffer through a pandemic], tickets to go on sale soon to pad the pockets of said wealthy white man. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.