Musicals that were announced but never materialised.- Page 2

blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mambo Kings at the Broadway. The marquee was even up. Didn't even make it to previews.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Hum a tune Profile PhotoHum a tune Profile Photo
Hum a tune
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Minskys - Had a pre Broadway try out in Los Angeles

Half Time - Had a pre Broadway try out at the Papermill

Whistle Down the Wind - Had a pre Broadway try out in Washington. Had heard it at its Broadway marquee up, not sure where though?

KevinKlawitter
Swing
Swing
Shelley Marcus was announced as writing the book for a musical based on the documentary "When We Were Kings", about the Muhammad Ali / George Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle" match in Zaire. David Sonenberg was the producer, and the show was supposed to workshop in spring 2019 ahead of a full stage premiere in 2020. Since it was announced in 2018, I have heard not a word about it.
Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sondheim's musical based on two Bunuel movies.  I hoped that he would have one more in him, but I guess it was just not to be.

jagman1062
Stand-by
Stand-by

Phantom of London said: "Minskys - Had a pre Broadway try out in Los Angeles

Whistle Down the Wind - Had a pre Broadway try out in Washington. Hadheard it at its Broadway marquee up, not sure where though?
"

Whistle Down the Wind was to have played the Martin Beck, which is now the Hirschfeld.

Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hum a tune said: "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"

B&B was recently mentioned as still in development in the NYT's article about Frozen's closing.

mikey2573
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I seem to remember a Tony broadcast where some music from an anticipated musical version of TREASURE ISLAND was played by--I think it was --Cy Coleman??  Probably back in the 80s.  That never happened. 

markypoo Profile Photomarkypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

mikey2573 said: "I seem to remember a Tony broadcast where some music from an anticipated musical version of TREASURE ISLAND was played by--I think it was --Cy Coleman?? Probably back in the 80s. That never happened."

The little that I recall is that it did happen in a Canadian production in 1985.

George Hearn was in it.

Malinda5000
Understudy
Understudy
Unchain My Heart : The Ray Charles Musical
Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

mikey2573 said: "I seem to remember a Tony broadcast where some music from an anticipated musical version of TREASURE ISLAND was played by--I think it was --Cy Coleman?? Probably back in the 80s. That never happened."

Even better, Jules Styne

GlindatheGood22  Profile PhotoGlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In summer 2014 we were promised a Best Little Whorehouse in Texas revival. Nothing. Still mad.

I know you. I know you. I know you.
kaykordeath
Stand-by
Stand-by

darquegk said: "Unless he finished a LOT of work in advance, the Archie musical probably died with the late Adam Schlesinger. (Either that or Archie Comics industry decided its stylistic focus on the campy old ones didn’t fit with the modern, sexier direction of the franchise and the rebooted comics.)"

Don't be so sure.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is currently the Chief Creative Officer of Archie comics.

Broadway/theater is always in the cards.

kaykordeath
Stand-by
Stand-by

Animal House-with an original score from Barenaked Ladies; who were replaced, at one point, by David Yazbek.

Updated On: 5/24/20 at 01:32 PM
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Moonstruck: the musical
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Moonstruck: the musical
Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just recalled a production of Robin and the Seven Hoods which was going to have a score comprised of oldies from one composer.  Can't remember who, but guessing that it might have been Sammy Kahn.

Also, there was a promised musicalization of the movie, Diner.  I think Sheryl Crow was writing the score.  Guess she lost interest.

I can think of a lot that should NOT have materialized, all covered in the worst musicals  you've seen subject.

Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^Diner has had two productions.

Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ziegfeld-The Musical.... I seem to remember this announced in the late 80s with Len Cariou. It played in London bad well with Topol. Costumes were by Theoni Aldredge
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Phantom of London said: "Minskys - Had a pre Broadway try out in Los Angeles

Whistle Down the Wind - Had a pre Broadway try out in Washington. Hadheard it at its Broadway marquee up, not sure where though?
"

I had heard it was set for the Martin Beck theatre, did they actually put the marquee up, or was that an urban  myth? However interestingly in Gerald Schonefeld excellent biography, said it was set for the Shubert Theatre, however the landlord had difficulties persuading the tenant at the (Big) to post closing notices, don’t know why the Shuberts or ALW pulled the plug and the reason why?

castlestreet Profile Photocastlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mary Chapin Carpenter announced once upon a time that she was writing the score to a musical version of the classic Shane!
ChgoTheatreGuy Profile PhotoChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Patti Labelle was supposed to have starred in a revival of "House of Flowers" that never materialized...

SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
There’s been a “Treasure Island” musical rolling around the regional theaters for awhile. Not sure if it’s the same one.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's going to be a SCANDAL on Broadway, starring Swoosie Kurtz and stage by Michael Bennett.

Oh no there isn't.

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "Patti Labelle was supposed to have starred in a revival of "House of Flowers" that never materialized..."

I saw La Belle in HOUSE OF FLOWERS at the Westbury Music Fair. I enjoyed the show but it wasn't Broadway material.