Profile for mikey2573

Member Name: mikey2573
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 24 2020, 09:44:11 AM

I seem to remember a Tony broadcast where some music from an anticipated musical version of TREASURE ISLAND was played by--I think it was --Cy Coleman??  Probably back in the 80s.  That never happened. 

Show Boat revival?  May 24 2020, 09:24:25 AM

I have the SHOW BOAT set from the Criterion Collection which is a fantastic presentation with lots of extras (most of which were included in a Laserdisc release some 20 or 30 years ago).  While I appreciate all the information from the Miles Kruger commentary on the second audio track, it is obvious that he is reading from a prewritten script so it loses some spontaneity.  

ALLEGIANCE To Stream On Broadway On Demand  May 17 2020, 03:40:52 PM

I wonder if the price to stream ALLEGIANCE will be on par with the price of its DVD release, around $170.  

People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show?  May 9 2020, 10:15:02 AM

Not sure it this is infamous but I did see THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER with my son, who was 9 at the time.  We both loved it. The chase through the caves in the second act was simply brilliant, and Heidi Ettinger's sets (including what has since been referred to as the "tennis racket tree" were breathtaking.  I still remember how some of the younger cast members would slide down the set fo

Kelli O'Hara in THE KING AND I streams for free on May 8th  May 9 2020, 12:23:14 AM

I wonder why, with such a large and wonderful sounding orchestra, they did an edited down version of the overture.  I think THE KING AND I has one of the best overtures ever.  If you doubt it, just listen to the Yul Brynner Constance Towers revival recording from (I think) 1977, it is I believe the only full recording of the overture.  It is amazing.  But they didn't do the full original overture.  Why?  Other than that (and the odd acting choices of the acto

Bootlegs during Quarantine  May 3 2020, 02:38:09 AM

Instead of arguing about whether bootlegs are right or wrong, let's change where this thread has been going (which is the same place every other bootleg thread ends up going) and talk about our FAVORITE bootleg. 

Audio: The  bootleg of the original cast of CAMELOT; R. Burton, J, Andrews, R. Goulet, R. McDowell.  I am just grateful that someone back in the early 60s brought what was probably a big clunky tape recorder into the theater to make this recording. 

I DO! I DO! (1982 TV Movie - Lee Remick & Hal Linden)  Apr 24 2020, 01:07:54 AM

I remember seeing it and I even recorded it off the tv on an old Betamax machine.  I remember liking it quite a lot and found the ending in particular to be very moving. 

What Broadway cast should be reunited for STARS IN THE HOUSE?  Apr 22 2020, 09:09:00 AM

I would love to see the original cast of THE SECRET GARDEN, BILLY ELLIOT, and A CHRISTMAS STORY reunited on the show. 

Disney on Broadway Concert Canceled  Apr 12 2020, 04:00:04 AM

And Ray Hair will be removed from the AFM (not just for this stupid decision, but for the insensitivity of comparing musicians to slaves)  in............... 

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw  Apr 7 2020, 10:51:40 PM

I still consider RENT to be the worst thing I have ever seen on a professional stage.  I felt trapped.  I had images of myself stepping on people's heads in an effort to get out.  But I stuck it out and watched the whole miserable thing.  Simply awful. 

one Annie vs. four Matildas?  Apr 6 2020, 09:13:09 PM

It always bugged me that the four Matildas got a special Tony Award the same year that Johnny Rabbe kicked butt as Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" .  He belted the songs out of the park, created and played a very endearing, lovable character, and had absolutely impeccable comic timing.  And he did it 6 times a week, as opposed to the Matildas who only did two.  Rabbe had an alternate who played the role at matinees, but I always felt that if the Tony committee was goin

Len Cariou Walks - Show Closes Early  Mar 4 2020, 04:55:07 PM

Something tells me this was probably the best thing to happen to this play publicity-wise.  

Jerome Robbins TOFT Recordings  Mar 2 2020, 08:10:23 PM

I have never had any problem at TOFT.  I walk in and say, "I am involved in a production of (name of show here)" and they set it up for me. The staff are very polite and helpful. 

I was wondering how strict they are regarding the multiple viewings rule?  I read somewhere that you can only watch something once.  But what if I had a new and different reason for viewing something?  Let's say the first time I was directing a production of such

Dear Evan Hansen Touring - Chicago thoughts  Mar 1 2020, 04:51:56 PM

I saw Stephen Christopher Anthony in Boston and I though he was fantastic.  I thought the whole cast of the touring show was amazing.  

Jordan Fisher—DEH  Feb 24 2020, 11:33:42 PM

It was a very busy week on Broadway last week; I was there from Tuesday thru Friday and there was very little on the TKTS board.  Perhaps due to school vacations?  Makes me wonder if the DEH boom was Jordan related or just because of it being a busy time for NY theater. 

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works  Feb 20 2020, 12:34:44 AM

Stephen Daldry would be perfect to direct this.  Or is he still attached to WICKED?

Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees  Feb 18 2020, 09:07:13 AM

I go to NYC quite a bit.  I always book through hotels.com and I have never paid a resort fee.  Right now here are some of the bookings available this week:

Radisson Times Square $143 a night.

Paramount Times Sq.  $92

The Belvedere $132

Hilton Garden Inn $137

Embassy Suites by Hilton $159 

The Knickerbocker Hotel $219

No mention of resort fees at all for any of these properties. 

Jordan Fisher—DEH  Feb 18 2020, 08:55:31 AM

"Jordan was out this afternoon at 2 but actually worked out great. Zach is amazing"

I don't think Jordan performs at the matinees.

Jordan Fisher—DEH  Feb 9 2020, 01:19:00 PM

I think I've already vouched for Piser, but I will do it again.  I've only seen the show 4 times (twice with Ben) but I found Piser's Evan to be, for me, the most moving of them all.  Not sure why, but his performance really got to me. 

Jordan Fisher—DEH  Feb 8 2020, 10:43:17 AM

No one seems to be coming to the conclusion that he simply could not handle the vocal and acting demands of the show, and they are struggling to come up with a reason for him to gracefully leave. 

Something similar happened recently with a production of ANNIE that I saw with an Emmy Award winning actress and musical comedy stage veteran in the role of Hannigan.  It was very clear when I saw it that this actress was not able to sing the part.  I had seen her play Han

You must log in to view off-topic posts.