Profile for Phantom of London

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Member Name: Phantom of London
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 26 2020, 05:34:40 PM

LucyEth said: "I worked on "Whistle Down the Wind." The official reason that the show was "postponed" was -- ironically enough -- that Really Useful was nervous about losing the Tony Awardto "Steel Pier" that season! That and to give the creativesmore time to work out the kinks. Something that might have been done in Washington had not eachone of themdisappeared after opening night."

Thanks for that and very interesting. Didn’t kno

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 26 2020, 05:18:32 PM

nealb1 said: "No, "Funny Girl" with Lea Michelle was never official. It was to have been revived in 2012 with Lauren Ambrose, but the show was cancelled in late 2011 when several investors pulled their funding. The show was going to open in Los Angeles first at The Ahmanson Theatre, and then go to New York."

Wasn’t the Imperial Theatre lines up to receive Funny Girl if my memory serves me correct?

Broadway Open in January??  May 25 2020, 08:12:18 PM

It wouldn’t be financially viable for a show to reopen in January, producers still have to pay bills, they might need to increase their advertising costs, also production costs could go up with heat checks/mask checks, handing out free masks. Not everyone from the Tri-state will feel comfortable attending, knowing there is a risk they might get sick.

You can bet your bottom dollar the Broadway League has run through every scenario and crunched the necessary data for a route back

Broadway Open in January??  May 25 2020, 03:57:09 PM

What we can agree on is that Broadway won’t open in January in the dead of winter, if anything it would be the November before or March/April after, but not January.

We can also agree on that when Broadway does open it will be very gradual, only maybe a handful of shows open to test the market and watch the grosses to see if it is worth opening a few more shows. You won’t have 25 shows open at once.

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 24 2020, 07:55:50 PM

Phantom of London said: "Minskys - Had a pre Broadway try out in Los Angeles

Half Time - Had a pre Broadway try out at the Papermill

Whistle Down the Wind - Had a pre Broadway try out in Washington. Hadheard it at its Broadway marquee up, not sure where though?
"

I had heard it was set for the Martin Beck theatre, did they actually put the marquee up, or was that an urban  myth? However interestingly in Gerald Schonefeld excellent biography,

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 23 2020, 09:19:59 PM

Minskys - Had a pre Broadway try out in Los Angeles

Half Time - Had a pre Broadway try out at the Papermill

Whistle Down the Wind - Had a pre Broadway try out in Washington. Had heard it at its Broadway marquee up, not sure where though?

MJ reschedules for March 2021  May 16 2020, 10:31:48 AM

Not including shows that can restart.

But what theatres are now dark? Including please theatres with a shows to be loaded in like the Neil Simon and Winter Garden.

Frozen on Broadway - Where did they go wrong?  May 16 2020, 10:29:26 AM

Complacency 

Which leads to shoddiness.

By which I mean Disney made the same mistake they did with Tarzan and The Little Mermaid and assumed the Disney brand in itself would be a home run and sell shows, they took their eye off the ball and forgot you still need to make a show very special, have that wow moment only that Disney can deliver as they did with their other shows.

Frozen was permission to print money, sure wasn’t this meant to be

Chris Jones' Pessimistic Outlook for Chicago and NYC Entertainment  May 8 2020, 04:57:14 PM

Theatre can re-open when Cuomo says it can, he won’t do let until he is fairly satisfied with patrons and employees safety.

Even if theatre did re-open, patrons and emplyees have to be confident attending and not catching this horrid virus, so Chris is right you will need a vaccine or the this virus or elimination of new cases by herd immunity, both these are going to take time.

This has to be done in tandem with high unemployment, no tourists and employees

What Character in a Musical Most Resembles Trump?  Apr 24 2020, 08:09:04 PM

Elder Arnold Cunningham an insecure and compulsive liar.

Though I just wish he would be sent to Uganada.

Show Boat revival?  Apr 11 2020, 06:35:32 PM

Oil’ man river is still a goosebump moment and that is 85 years later.

Love Never Dies to broadway 2021?  Apr 11 2020, 06:32:50 PM

chernjam said: "Phantom of London said: "Mark Harris’ article for the vulture was illuminating and very concerning.

Broadway has to start from scratch, with high unemployment and lack of tourism due to Covid 19, Broadway has to chase every buck, not that it didn’t anyway, they’ve to go harder now.

I would think that Producerswould be now reluctant to spend money, they would want to test the market - I would be shocked if the Britney Sp

Broadway Stars With COVID-19/Coronavirus  Apr 10 2020, 07:46:50 PM

This thread could be a force for good, we read about all the deaths and see the figures coming in from countries/states and it is enough to scare the horses. So nice to have something positive and uplifting and prove it is possible to beat this beast.

in China a person beat this horrid corid, but the person is not a performer, so doesn’t really qualify for this thread, but sharing this because the lady is 103.

Love Never Dies to broadway 2021?  Apr 10 2020, 03:05:35 PM

Mark Harris’ article for the vulture was illuminating and very concerning.

Broadway has to start from scratch, with high unemployment and lack of tourism due to Covid 19, Broadway has to chase every buck, not that it didn’t anyway, they’ve to go harder now.

I would think that Producers would be now reluctant to spend money, they would want to test the market - I would be shocked if the Britney Spears and Michael Jackson musical does happen anytime soon, ot

There is a decent show in there somewhere?  Apr 8 2020, 07:14:55 PM

I am thinking of flop shows, that could be a hit if the creativity was re thought out.

A good example is Tarzan, obviously the show is what it was on Broadway, but Haag been transformed in Europe. Same for Legally Blonde which was downsized for the West End and became a big hit.

Any other shows guys?

one Annie vs. four Matildas?  Apr 7 2020, 08:13:13 PM

Regardless if you are a Billy, Matilda or Annie the role is too big for one actor and should be shared, for no other reason in that a child needs more rest, free time to play with their friends and get a reasonable eduction.

I cannot see the problem having a child role being played by several actors?

At the time of Matilda I recall the republican Michael Riedel complaining the role being shared.

It is wrong to have a child perform 8 times a week.

Which shows will Covid-19 end?  Mar 17 2020, 08:16:10 PM

Once More Time try out in Chicago is likely to be scrapped now. With social distancing being all important, to stop spread of this horrible virus. It also makes rehearsal impossible.

No way will this open in June.

Which shows will Covid-19 end?  Mar 17 2020, 03:56:28 PM

This virus could be fatal for Broadway and other theatre, when theatre does start again, it won’t take off from where it left off, houses will be dark, producers’ won’t back a new show quickly. It will take a while for tourists to come back, as people have drastically tightened their belts

The Britney Spears musical going into the Marquis  and MJ will likely be delayed as artists will not be able to rehearse in the next couple of months, will the p

Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?  Feb 28 2020, 06:26:56 PM

I would be surprised the producers would want to do business with the Shubert Organization considering they pushed them under a bus in the first place.

However the other 2 big theatre operators don’t seem to have theatre coming available any time soon and the Shuberts viirtually own all the small theatres.

What’s Next For The Barrymore?  Feb 21 2020, 05:39:56 PM

I know it has been on Broadway recently and won a Tony for Kevin Kline..

But could a quick transfer, as Betrayal did with Tom Hiddlestone of the Old Vic’s Present Laughter with Andrew Scott?

Tom Stoppard new play Leopoldstadt got critics pick from Ben Brantley when he reviewed this in London recently.

Tennesssee William’s Night of the Iguana, starring Clive Owen and Lia Williams also was loved by Ben when it played last year.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.