Back to Jobs | View More Classes / Instruction Listings
About Paper Mill Playhouse:
Founded in 1934, Paper Mill Playhouse has been a cherished New Jersey arts institution for more than 80 years. Paper Mill brings new American Musical Theater to life, with a national reputation that continues to grow. Collaboration with other regional theaters and leading independent producers brings over 200,000 New Jersey audience members annually the best in musical theater, from celebrated revivals to groundbreaking new works. In 2016, Paper Mill received the Regional Theatre Tony award in recognition of its contribution to the national field, the industry’s highest honor.
Paper Mill Playhouse facilities include a 1,150 seat theatre with attendant backstage dressing rooms, offices, and production support areas; front-of-house lobbies with bars, concessions and restroom facilities; an 80 seat restaurant; a small house with two apartments; 2,500 square feet of education studios; three parking lots and grounds for milling.
• Direct the operation and maintenance of the Paper Mill facilities as a top quality venue and adhere to the organization’s procedures, policies, safety codes and mission.
• Oversee all building systems at 22 Brookside Drive, including the theatre building, Carriage House Restaurant, and outbuildings; the Education Studios at 20 Main Street; and the house at 13 Brookside Drive including fire/ safety, plumbing, HVAC, electrical issues and maintenance.
• Ensure compliance with applicable codes and government agencies as it relates to building operations.
• Schedule and manage all major repairs and annual inspections.
• Hire and supervise maintenance personnel including training, and scheduling.
• Order and maintain inventory of building maintenance supplies.
• Respond to all emergency situations quickly (fire, evacuation, equipment failure, storms).
• Conduct regular inspections of building systems and equipment. Recommend and implement improvements on an ongoing basis.
• Maintain security system and serve as primary contact for alarm company.
• Maintain the grounds and parking lots including landscaping, snow removal, public safety measures.
• Maintain company vehicles and required maintenance.
• Maintain ongoing communication with staff, management, and vendors.
• Coordinate and supervise all waste removal, including recyclables.
• Manage distribution of keys to appropriate staff.
• Work with Director of Finance to create an annual facilities budget.
• Assist staff with event and meeting set up requests.
• Coordinate all facility operations with Production and other programming departments.
• Attend Board Facilities Committee and other organization and task force meetings as necessary, including those for the current Post-Pandemic Reopening Task Force.
• Ensure that Paper Mill is safe, clean, and welcoming for patrons and staff.
• Related work experience in a commercial property or professional theatre venue setting, or any similar combination of education or experience in the operation and maintenance of building systems and grounds of a public venue.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Proactive, positive attitude, strong work ethic, and a sense of humor.
• Working knowledge of all aspects of building systems and operations, contractual maintenance, and local laws pertaining to building operations and safety.
• Knowledge of Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
• Flexible schedule and ability to be on call during all performances and events.
• A commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion with an ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
Paper Mill Playhouse is committed to hiring high caliber individuals of diverse backgrounds. We strive to provide our staff with a nurturing and inclusive environment, equal for all employees and optimal for their success. Paper Mill celebrates diversity and believes it enriches our work environment and the work on our stage.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Facilities Manager. No phone calls, please.
Paper Mill Playhouse entertains, inspires, and enriches lives. As the nation’s premier musical theater, we foster a creative environment to advance the art form, educate students, develop future theater lovers, nurture inclusion, and provide access for all.
The Board and Staff are committed to advancing the mission of Paper Mill Playhouse, and are guided by these core values:
-Continually aspire to achieve artistic excellence
-Create an inclusive environment of trust and transparency
-Provide outstanding service
-Be fiscally responsible
-Act with integrity and respect