Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1



Paramount will produce SPAMALOT movie musical directed by Nicholaw

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
joined:12/13/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/13/06
https://deadline.com/2021/01/spamalot-paramount-pictures-movie-musical-eric-idle-casey-nicholaw-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-1234665944/

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has acquired Spamalot, and the studio will be the one to mount a movie production based on the hit Broadway musical.

The project comes to Paramount from Fox, where both chairman/CEO Jim Gianopulos and Motion Pictures Group president Emma Watts were when it landed there. The film lost steam when Disney acquired Fox. The good news is the picture is fully developed, with a screenplay by Monty Python troupe member Eric Idle, with songs by Idle and John DuPrez. The director is Casey Nicholaw, who was the choreographer of the original Broadway production. He has worked on this project awhile, and in the interim has become the hottest director and choreographer on Broadway. His credits include Book of Mormon, Aladdin, Mean Girls, The Prom, The Drowsy Chaperone and Something Rotten!

The film will be produced by Dan Jinks (American Beauty and Big Fish) and Idle. Jon Gonda, Meg Lewis and Mike Ireland are the execs on the project for Paramount. The plan is to move right to casting and get underway this year.

The comedy is an adaptation of the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which despite grossing just $1.9 million is considered a seminal comic film. The Broadway transfer was a huge hit, winning the Tony for Best Musical and one for its director, the late Mike Nichols. Nicholaw choreographed the original musical, which went on to do strong business on stages around the world.

Like the movie, the musical tackles the legend of King Arthur, with full tongue in cheek from the movie, and features many indelible moments from the Python film directed by Python members Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones, including The Knights Of Ni; the sickly Not Dead Fred, who refuses a ride in the cart reserved for deceased plague victims; the Black Knight whose arms and legs are cut off by King Arthur (its just a flesh wound); the Killer Rabbit; and the Holy Hand Grenade unleashed to thwart the murderous bunny.
NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
Chorus Member
joined:12/27/20
Chorus Member
joined:
12/27/20
I love Spamalot, but I’m unsure of this. I certainly hope it’s great, but I feel like it won’t transfer all that well as a movie, and theatrical directors don’t always translate well into cinematic directors.
“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard
JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
joined:4/6/12
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/6/12

This sounds awful. They already have their work cut out for them trying to make this translate, and feel worth adapting back into its original medium - inviting inevitable comparisons to the iconic original. And on top of all that, I do not trust Nicholaw to take on this challenge. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
joined:1/15/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/15/04

I loved this show but this seems ill-advised.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
joined:5/20/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/20/07

If they can get the tone right, this could be cute! (Also, Gaga has the vocal and comedic chops to play Lady of the Lake...)

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
joined:6/16/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/16/13
Was thinking about this in the summer, I thought the idea had died. I don’t see this ending well. If we’re doing adaptations of that era, give me Drowsy Chaperone
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
joined:7/20/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/20/13
JBroadway said: "This sounds awful. They already have their work cut out for them trying to make this translate, and feel worth adapting back into its original medium - inviting inevitable comparisons to the iconic original. And on top of all that, I do not trust Nicholaw to take on this challenge."



100% agree.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
Broadway Star
joined:10/29/14
Broadway Star
joined:
10/29/14

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Was thinking about this in the summer, I thought the idea had died. I don’t see this ending well. If we’re doing adaptations of that era, give me Drowsy Chaperone"

Wasn’t there a Drowsy adaptation announced/rumored years ago? God, in the right hands that would really be something special.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
joined:6/16/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/16/13
I do remember that, I believe with Geoffrey Rush?
Owen22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/24/11
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/24/11
If they are going to film a great satirical musical, why not the biggest Broadway hit of the new century, Hamilton notwithstanding.

Or is Book of Mormon now too controversial to film with all the spurious indictments of racism?
NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
Broadway Star
joined:2/1/16
Broadway Star
joined:
2/1/16
I wonder what brought this on. I could understand this being announced 10 years ago, but I feel like this property has gone cold. More power to them, though!
briankershawjr
Chorus Member
joined:2/26/17
Chorus Member
joined:
2/26/17

Someone asked what brought this on all of the sudden to do this musical? I think the big reason is Broadway  is closed right now. Sources say May 2021, as of right now. Other say Broadway will not open up, or try to open til Fall 2021. I think that is why you see more musicals going into production as a film. This is the best way to get a musical out to the public.  I believe personally that you will be seeing a lot of movie musical coming together in the coming months. 

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
Chorus Member
joined:12/27/20
Chorus Member
joined:
12/27/20
The film will definitely go for big names, but thinking of Spamalot again, I know have a major desire to see Jefferson Mays and a Lancelot and his additional roles and Jessie Mueller as the Lady of the Lake.

I don’t have much faith in this project, but a potential pro is it could help get the show back on Broadway.
“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard
Owen22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/24/11
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/24/11

NameGreg said: "The film will definitely go for big names, but thinking of Spamalot again, I know have a major desire to see Jefferson Mays and a Lancelot and his additional roles and Jessie Mueller as the Lady of the Lake.

I don’t have much faith in this project, but a potential pro is it could help get the show back on Broadway.
"

... I'm pretty sure they will cast movie stars.

 

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
Chorus Member
joined:12/27/20
Chorus Member
joined:
12/27/20

Owen22 said: "NameGreg said: "The film will definitely go for big names, but thinking of Spamalot again, I know have a major desire to see Jefferson Mays and a Lancelot and his additional roles and Jessie Mueller as the Lady of the Lake.

I don’t have much faith in this project, but a potential pro is it could help get the show back on Broadway.
"

... I'm pretty sure they will cast movie stars.


"

I’m 100% sure they will. I’m just thinking of actors I’d like to see do it onstage.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard