Page: 1

AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway

BritCrit
Stand-by
Stand-by
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#1
Posted: 5/17/19 at 10:41am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-David-Byrnes-AMERICAN-UTOPIA-Will-Come-to-Broadway-This-Fall-20190517

Thoughts?

Personally, I am really looking forward to this. As a Talking Heads fan, I am very interested in the prospect of seeing a David Byrne musical on Broadway...

Fordham2015
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#2
Posted: 5/17/19 at 10:50am

They're billing it as a special event or Broadway residency, not a musical- so like Springsteen or the series at the Lunt Fontanne

DrowsyKaye
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#3
Posted: 5/17/19 at 10:56am

I saw this tour last year and it's truly a thrilling performance. Curious how much, if at all, they're going to deviate from the concert-feel of it all. I'm definitely gonna try and check it out.

LightsOut90
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#4
Posted: 5/17/19 at 12:06pm

has anyone been able to figure out how to buy a ticket with the meet and greet?

Alice147
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#5
Posted: 5/17/19 at 12:10pm

DrowsyKaye said: "I saw this tour last year and it's truly a thrilling performance. Curious how much, if at all, they're going to deviate from the concert-feel of it all. I'm definitely gonna try and check it out."

Does it have a narrative arc? I'm intrigued by the description on Playbill: "theatrical concert experience"!

StageJunkie2
Swing
Swing
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#6
Posted: 5/17/19 at 12:19pm

Personally, I’ll pass.  Enough with the concerts eating up valuable theatrical stage space. But that’s just me...

pathman2
Understudy
Understudy
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#7
Posted: 5/17/19 at 12:42pm

LightsOut90 said: "has anyone been able to figure out how to buy a ticket with the meet and greet?"

There are actually only maybe 6-8 meet and greet tickets available that day. If you click on the yellow/orange seats front and center, the info box that pops up should confirm that they are meet and great. They're $550 I believe.

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#8
Posted: 5/17/19 at 12:46pm

Remember when they used to do plays on Broadway? That was fun.

DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Stand-by
Stand-by
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#9
Posted: 5/17/19 at 1:17pm

BritCrit said: "Personally, I am really looking forward to this. As a Talking Heads fan, I am very interested in the prospect of seeing a David Byrne musical on Broadway..."

Honestly same, tho I think the movie "True Stories" by him would make a great adaptation to the stage and if this works out, then that could be a thing? 

JSquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#10
Posted: 5/17/19 at 1:29pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Remember when they used to do plays on Broadway? That was fun."

Yes.  Too bad there were NO plays on Broadway last season!

BritCrit
Stand-by
Stand-by
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#11
Posted: 5/17/19 at 1:31pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Remember when they used to do plays on Broadway? That was fun."

I think that it’s fonw to have one or two projects like this for a limited period of time, but the plays come first. If American Utopia starts extending its run like Springsteen On Broadway (another concert show with some acting elements) it could really frustrate those who want to see what the Hudson will provide for the 2020 Tony Awards...

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#12
Posted: 5/17/19 at 1:35pm

Yep, I've attended 12 of them within the past 7 months. It was fun. 

DrowsyKaye
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#13
Posted: 5/17/19 at 2:09pm

Alice147 said: "DrowsyKaye said: "I saw this tour last year and it's truly a thrilling performance. Curious how much, if at all, they're going to deviate from the concert-feel of it all. I'm definitely gonna try and check it out."

Does it have a narrative arc? I'm intrigued by the description on Playbill: "theatrical concert experience"!
"

Definitely doesn't have a coherent narrative arc to it, but maybe they'll tweak it a bit from what I saw. If nothing else, it has a fantastically unified sense of design and production. Really gorgeously put together. Excited to see how they expand upon Byrne's vision.

Also lolololol at Alex Kulak2, as if events like these haven't existed on Broadway for decades.

RippedMan Profile PhotoRippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#14
Posted: 5/17/19 at 2:35pm
Maybe I just donít know the fan base, but it seems like a long run, no?
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#15
Posted: 5/17/19 at 2:51pm
It IS theatrical...not just a concert. Tegardless, obviously it wasnt taking up valuable space. Or it would have been spoken for.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
haterobics Profile Photohaterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#16
Posted: 5/17/19 at 5:53pm

I saw it on tour and am not sure how to describe it... I found that the theatricality didn't make me feel engaged like I was at a concert. But it was also not just performance art with a setlist?! Neither of which isn't to say it wasn't a thrilling, unique night out... just that you should know what you're signing up for, since a lot of people around me kept waiting for it to turn into a proper concert, which never happened.

LightsOut90
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#17
Posted: 5/17/19 at 9:24pm

with Alex Timbers onboard this will definately become more theaterical. This is probably the closest to a Talking Heads musical as we will get due to rights issues and I am ready to see it OVER AND OVER

RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#18
Posted: 5/17/19 at 9:34pm
Is Timbers a new addition? That peaked my interest! I love his direction.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#19
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#20
Broadway Joe Profile PhotoBroadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#21
Posted: 5/17/19 at 11:32pm
This is an easy pass for me unless I get free tickets and even then meh.
Alice147
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
AMERICAN UTOPIA comes to Broadway#22
Posted: 5/18/19 at 11:57am

DrowsyKaye said: "Alice147 said: "DrowsyKaye said: "I saw this tour last year and it's truly a thrilling performance. Curious how much, if at all, they're going to deviate from the concert-feel of it all. I'm definitely gonna try and check it out."

"

Definitely doesn't have a coherent narrative arc to it, but maybe they'll tweak it a bit from what I saw. If nothing else, it has a fantastically unified sense of design and production. Really gorgeously put together. Excited to see how they expand upon Byrne's vision.

Also lolololol at Alex Kulak2, as if events like these haven't existed on Broadway for decades.
"

Ah, I see. I'd be interested to see if anything is altered for Broadway, he seemed to hint at that in his quotes!