Profile for BritCrit

Member Name: BritCrit
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?  Mar 9 2020, 04:31:02 PM

It may sound odd, but I would like to see a stage show for the Tangled series. It would be incredibly difficult to condense the three-season storyline into a 2 1/4 hour production, but I think it can be done. There are several compelling new characters (Casandra's tragic arc could be turned into something truly incredible!) and some of the songs are genuinely Broadway quality. It would be brilliant to see songs like "Let Me Make You Proud", "Crossing the Line"

Oscars 2021 - The Year of Movie Musicals?  Jan 23 2020, 01:23:52 PM

hork said: "None of these will be nominated for anything."

I feel like I have one issue with this thread - there is something a little mean spirited in dismissing the Award prospects of these films so early. It's no easy task to get award nominations, as there are hundreds of films every year, and only a small handful will be up for the major awards in the first few months of 2021. West Side Story is the only likely Best Picture contender in this line up (We'

Oscars 2021 - The Year of Movie Musicals?  Jan 22 2020, 07:12:02 PM

IdinaBellFoster said: "VotePeron said: "Unless they rewrite The Prom, it is getting zero nominations. The material is Not Good and will not land well with non-theatre audiences. Netflix would also have to pay for its Oscar campaign, which they only do for one or two select, high-profile films a year. As this is one of Ryan Murphy’s 5-movie deal, it doesn’t seem like something they’d invest in for awards. "

The movie has Meryl Streep &am

Once Upon a One More Time to Marquis  Jan 15 2020, 04:01:26 PM

BwayinVan said: "I feel the marquis curse will continue. The article has a brief synopsis of this show and I have to say it doesn’t look like my cup of tea. I’m sure it will get the summer Britney tourists. Hopefully it has a healthy run."

Maybe, maybe not. The power of the millennial demographic should not be lightly dismissed, and a key factor in the "Marquis Curse" is the fact that their recent musicals have been based on brands with little a

MY BEST FRIENDS WEDDING Is Now A Jukebox Musical  Dec 11 2019, 03:18:44 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "I think 3 songs were “featured” in the film but this is a full musical using old music. Why couldn’t those few songs be featured in a show with an original score is what I’m saying.
It’s just getting very old.
"

In all fairness, this is a touring production, and those come with lower expectations. It’s also not the first time a famous “chick flick” has been adapted in this fashion - a touring

Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN  Dec 11 2019, 03:01:49 PM

JustinLovesSideShow said: "Any thoughts on who her Anna will be?"

I’m hoping it’s a relative unknown. Elsa is the icon of the Frozen series, so the “stunt casting” of Samantha Barks was a good idea. But it is Anna who is the protagonist of Frozen. She gets the most screen time, the most songs, she is the one who grows the most and she is the character who drives the story. Casting a newcomer would provide such an incredible opportunity, a

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/8/19  Dec 9 2019, 03:20:07 PM
Percy Jackson is still bombing, but there are just four weeks of its run left, so the sheer bloody mindedness of the producers will keep it on to the end...

2019 thanksgiving parade broadway performances  Oct 28 2019, 05:17:20 PM

RWPrincess said: "Disney's Christmas Parade doesn't usually feature full performances from the Broadway musicals. It's primarily theme park parades and celebrity live performances. I'd guess Idina would be there this year performing Frozen 2 stuff. The last couple years they've also done a pre-show on Thanksgiving weekend as well so the timing works for the movie release.Maybe they didn't perform at Macys last year because NBC and CBS are competitors. I don

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/27/19  Oct 28 2019, 04:21:30 PM

Wick3 said: "Kudos to BEAUTIFUL for ending its run on a high note! Gross potential of over 120% and over 100% capacity for the week!

Poor Harry Potter --- 3rd lowest average price this week (after Lightning Thief and Derren Brown) at $77.20. On the bright note it still has 100% capacity so either they're giving away tickets toseat fillers or they're selling a lot of $40 tickets.
"

It’s odd that, despite the far superior reviews, Tony Awar

Frozen 2 - first listen of "Into the Unknown"  Oct 1 2019, 04:10:26 PM

IdinaBellFoster said: "There's another clip circulating that has one of the verses, which I liked a lot. It's hard to replicate "Let It Go", but I like what I'm hearing. Idina sounds fabulous!"

I feel like NOTHING can be 'Let It Go'. I have stated often that the biggest pitfall facing Frozen media is trying to replicate the spontaneous and unexpected success of the original, which was the right film at the right time. My primary requirem

Frozen replacements  Sep 24 2019, 05:59:27 PM

Bell0708 said: "BritCrit said: "RWPrincess said: "They've both been with the show for almost 3 years so not unexpected. Disney likes to move people around or use them elsewhere so I'm sure we will see both ladies again soon. I wonder if we might be getting some type of stunt cast for one of them. I'd love to see Christy Altomare as Anna if there isn't a stunt cast."

I think Stunt Casting could be possible (if it keeps Frozen open

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/19  Sep 24 2019, 05:54:40 PM

RippedMan said: "I just hope we one day get to see Timber's ideas or sketches or something. I'd love to have seen what he'd have done with the snow monster and whatnot."

Frozen definitely needed to keep more of the action sequences from the film, but I don’t think a fully functioning Ice Palace or Marshmallow puppet would have been on stage long enough to justify the expense. However, the reduction in action sequences has the unfortunate side effect

Frozen replacements  Sep 24 2019, 05:38:53 PM

ClumsyDude15 said: "According to his Instagram, Joe Carroll is also leaving on the same day as Caissie and Patti.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2zs0Q7pWT3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
"

Which means that he can get to grow his beard back...

Frozen replacements  Sep 24 2019, 05:12:36 PM

SouthernCakes said: "Any idea If they’d go to London "

They probably won’t, as Disney Theatrical have been holding auditions for the West End Frozen since June. They also specified they wanted 18-30 year olds, which would rule out both Levy and Murin.

At the risk of inflaming controversy, I feel like it was not a great idea to cast two actresses in their late thirties as a 21 year old an an 18 year old. I’m aware that Kristen Bell and Id

Frozen replacements  Sep 24 2019, 04:52:20 PM

RWPrincess said: "They've both been with the show for almost 3 years so not unexpected. Disney likes to move people around or use them elsewhere so I'm sure we will see both ladies again soon. I wonder if we might be getting some type of stunt cast for one of them. I'd love to see Christy Altomare as Anna if there isn't a stunt cast."

I think Stunt Casting could be possible (if it keeps Frozen open a few months more) but the characters should be the m

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/19  Sep 24 2019, 03:17:52 PM

bdn223 said: "SouthernCakes said: "They def chose the wrong director. The shows a mess. You’d think Olaf would have a show stopper but he’s kind of disregarded most of the time. "

I would bet money Schumacher is kicking himself for letting Timbers go, especially after seeing what he did with Beetlejuice and Moulin Rouge. I could see Schumacher being hesitant of letting a relatively green/unestablisheddirector, without a hit to his name, have

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/19  Sep 24 2019, 03:14:33 PM

SouthernCakes said: "They def chose the wrong director. The shows a mess. You’d think Olaf would have a show stopper but he’s kind of disregarded most of the time. "

Apparently the Lopezes claimed on a YouTube commentary that they wanted to expand “In Summer” but felt it ultimately worked best in short form. Olaf is a difficult character to get right, especially with the focus on being darker and more serious, but that means they should p

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/19  Sep 24 2019, 01:29:25 PM

VintageSnarker said: 

RE: Frozen

It doesn't have the dramatic difficulties of The Little Mermaid (wheelies) or Tarzan but do you think Frozen would still be doing well at the box office if they'd put more effort into the sets and creating a sense of magic/wonder/magnitude on stage? The successful Disney stage adaptations seem to preserve the sense of spectacle.
"

I personally think that Frozen Broadway has a few key problems. First

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/19  Sep 23 2019, 07:40:58 PM

ggersten said: "Jarethan said: "Mike Barrett said: "I really wonder what Frozen looks like a year from now, nearly a year after the 2nd film has released. Will it bring the show back into the mainstream or will people feel it’s now dated because of the sequel? Likely depends on how Frozen 2 does. I say we have 2 years max left though at the St James. Plenty of time to work Hercules or a Beauty And The Beast revival into that space :)

Unless Fr

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/19  Sep 23 2019, 04:03:10 PM

ACL2006 said: "Goodness, those grosses for LIGHTNING THIEF already! Doubt things improve for them as their advance looks pathetic."

If nothing else, it was a smart idea to limit the run. The Be More Chill syndrome, (where a show aimed at millenials fails to translate its online fanbase to the Great  White Way) seems to be in full evidence here...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.