Caroline O'Connor to star in UK revival of GYPSY

Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Caroline O'Connor, famous for....well nothing really... is to headline a new UK (Leicester) production of 'Gypsy'

I'd love hear what Mr. Laurents (RIP) would have had to say about this. Lol

Updated On: 5/17/11 at 08:03 AM
HistoryBoy2 Profile PhotoHistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Except that it's not in the West End, is it?

Good try though.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not London! (although hopefully it will transfer)
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Caroline O'Connor is quite well-known and well-liked in England, and she's a brilliant performer. Most importantly, Sondheim loves her--he called her recent performance as Mrs. Lovett the best interpretation of the role he's ever seen. I'd kill to see her as Mama Rose.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
MissAnneThrop Profile PhotoMissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chicago, Mack & Mable, West Side Story, among others. The film Moulin Rouge and several recordings. She is not some random person.
And I Am Always So Vitriolic
newintown Profile Photonewintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You know that there's a West End board to discuss people and shows that aren't of interest to most Yanks, right?
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yes I'm aware of the West End board; I just thought since there was speculation in 2008/2009 that LuPone may take Gypsy in London and the whole death of Laurents that it might be of interest to some people (pun not intended lol)
broadwaydanwi Profile Photobroadwaydanwi Profile Photo
broadwaydanwi
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Caroline will make a great Rose in GYPSY. I saw her do BOMBSHELLS in Milwaukee this past winter, and she was brilliant. She's got the talent and the energy to tackle the part. Thanks for all the comments -- I will be watching for more after her first performance.
CarlosAlberto Profile PhotoCarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that LuPone may take Gypsy in London

Huh? Come again?!!
broadwaydanwi Profile Photobroadwaydanwi Profile Photo
broadwaydanwi
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
During BOMBSHELLS at the Milwaukee Rep, Caroline sang the theme song from "Laverne & Shirley" in the style of "Rose's Turn." She even added a few extra phrases of "for me" to make it sound like the finale of GYPSY. It was very funny! Check out the clip from BOMBSHELLS in this message. Clips of all six characters are on YouTube.com.
Milwaukee Rep BOMBSHELLS
Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Caroline O' Connor has more talent in her pinky than LuPone has in her entire body. This is brilliant casting. Caroline is a wonder on stage. I'd kill to see this production. She will kill it.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 5/17/11 at 10:39 AM
spike3
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
good for caroline! Not only is she talented, but a sweet, funny person as well. We used to smoke together in the alley outside the Shubert when Chicago was playing there, just shooting the breeze and laughing.
Almira Profile PhotoAlmira Profile Photo
Almira
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Caroline O' Connor is a true talent.

I had never heard of her before I caught a matinee of MACK AND MABEL. She owned that stage.

I've been a regular Caroline O' Connor customer since.

Here is a sample of her MACK AND MABEL work. Of course it doesn't compare to seeing her live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlw1wVQo2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYZaoxQw1E&feature=related

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 5/17/11 at 11:30 AM
EvelynOakleigh
Understudy
Understudy
After hearing her Mrs. Lovett, I can't wait to hear her Mama Rose!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looking forward to seeing this, i was praying Lupone would not come over, could not be happier
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Caroline O'Connor, famous for....well nothing really." musicaldudpeter.

"You know that there's a West End board to discuss people and shows that aren't of interest to most Yanks, right?" newintown.

Imagine sitting down to lunch with these two! :-P

YankeeMate Profile PhotoYankeeMate Profile Photo
YankeeMate
Understudy
Understudy
If you don't know anything about Caroline O'Connor or dismiss her because she's not famous in your small world, you're missing a lot.
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sounds exciting!!
"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Updated On: 5/17/11 at 05:58 PM
BenjaminNicholas2 Profile PhotoBenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
'Famous for nothing.' Are you an idiot or do you just not happen to read film credits or check on how long someone's had a career before you post?

O'Connor is superb. She's gotten accolades from some of the greats out there. I missed her in Paris in Sweeney, but would love seeing her as Rose. The UK is lucky to have her heading into the production.
chewy5000 Profile Photochewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I found her Velma Kelly, well, interesting
IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
jimmycurry01 Profile Photojimmycurry01 Profile Photo
jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Caroline O'Connor and I am quite excited about this news, and find it quite interesting, even if i don't live in England. When I read that this morning, i tried rushing right here to read everyone's opinion here, on the main board.
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
juggles
Stand-by
Stand-by
Caroline's brilliant, I saw her in Mac and Mable. It was a shame that it closed early. I loved it.
theeatah Profile Phototheeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
No offence to the poster, but was that Rose's Turn recorded in the orchestra pit? Not a pleasant vocal/instrumental balance... I hope it's not representative of the sound design of the production.

Here's a podcast (20mins) with O'Connor singing Everything's Coming Up Roses in-studio in the last 3 mins or so.

http://www.whatsonstage.com/radio/theatre/london/E8831331828858/WOS+Radio%3A+Leicester+Curve's+Gypsy+in+the+spotlight.html
ChenoKahn Profile PhotoChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Newintown, you seem to be the only "Yank" not interested.