Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 2

Disney+ developing Once on this Island film adaptation - Page 2

Hot Pants Profile PhotoHot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I actually heard this was in the whispers last year and I was wondering if this was still happening.

Alex Newell reprising Azula. Good night.
"

I’d rather any other member of that cast reprise their role before Newell.

blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I get the hype for Newell's voice.

In OOTI he looked bored as hell, and pranced around the stage as if wondering why he was there and not headlining his solo concert at Madison Square Garden. He comes across as so high on himself that it's such a turn off.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
John Adams Profile PhotoJohn Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

JBroadway said: "Exciting news! I do kind of wish it could be animated though. I think that could be really cool, if the style is done right."

Me, too! Since they've decided not to go the 'Hamilton' route, an animated version would be SOOOO perfect in creating a version that's significantly different from the staged production. ...and the story itself fits into the category of fairy tale/folklore so an animated version makes complete sense to me.

RE: an animation style, I like to watch the Oscar-nominated entries for animated shorts every year. The creativity is always so impressive. I'm not nearly as inventive, or creative as the Oscar nominees, but my first thought is that a watercolor style would seem very appropriate... ?

jpbran Profile Photojpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My guess is it’ll be live action with the exception of the gods who’ll be motion-capture CG performances with somewhat well-known actors/singers providing their voices. 

Updated On: 7/31/20 at 10:18 AM
BJR Profile PhotoBJR Profile Photo
BJR
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Such fantastic news. And what a fantastic team working on it. Jocelyn Bioh is perfect for this. And while I'm unfamiliar with the director, it's no small think that is should be an African woman. I didn't see her film, Rafiki, but I want to go back and do so.

I hope Disney+ adds to the content-hungry machine that Netflix, Amazon and Hulu have created and it results in more stage to streaming projects!

Hot Pants Profile PhotoHot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

blaxx said: "I get the hype for Newell's voice.

In OOTI he looked bored as hell, and pranced around the stage as if wondering why he was there and not headlining his solo concert at Madison Square Garden. He comes across as so high on himself that it's such a turn off.
"

Agreed. I particularly didn’t care for a report that he was breaking character before the show to argue with an ensemble member, who thankfully tried their best to limit the fight and maintain character.

HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hot Pants said: "I particularly didn’t care for a report that he was breaking character before the show to argue with an ensemble member, who thankfully tried their best to limit the fight and maintain character."

How can one break character before a show?

darquegk Profile Photodarquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
An Airbender musical would probably not be GOOD, but it would be a fantastic “always playing somewhere” replacement for “The King and I” on the resume of any number of indigenous and people of color’s resumes.
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

HogansHero said: "Hot Pants said: "I particularly didn’t care for a report that he was breaking character before the show to argue with an ensemble member, who thankfully tried their best to limit the fight and maintain character."

How can one break character before a show?
"

The cast was onstage as part of the pre-show.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ugh, dammit! I swear I already made this mistake here. But, yeah. Azula is a awesome character on Avatar. wink

Updated On: 7/31/20 at 12:27 PM
HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

blaxx said: "The cast was onstage as part of the pre-show."

ok. to me that was a part of the show. 

Joey Ledenio Profile PhotoJoey Ledenio Profile Photo
Joey Ledenio
Swing
Swing

Alex would be a wonderful return, as many others have said! I guess acting appropriately like an earth goddess and one made-up report is too "high on himself" for some people.

would also love to see some returns from the original production! cameos from Kecia and LaChanze would be so cute

darquegk Profile Photodarquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

If I could suggest one obscure cameo for this film, it wouldn't be any Broadway stars; I'd love to see Ron and Natalie Daise as islanders or as Tonton and Euralie. Their television show "Gullah Gullah Island" introduced Afro-Caribbean culture to (mainly suburban white middle class) children in the 1990s, and I have to think that the revival of "Once on This Island" resonated so much with people my age who didn't know the show before in part because the music and warm, storytelling vibe was so familiar to us from "Gullah Gullah Island" three decades ago.

bwayobsessed
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
So which part will Jennifer Hudson play?
BroadwayNYC2 Profile PhotoBroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wouldn’t be shocked if Lizzo’s name was thrown into the mix either
Scarlet Leigh Profile PhotoScarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Soooo Disney had Audra in Beauty and the Beast. What do we think the chances MIGHT be of an Audra as Erzulie casting?

jbroadway4 Profile Photojbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
Featured Actor
Featured Actor