Profile for BJR

BJR Profile Photo
Member Name: BJR
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best Scene Changes  Jun 3 2020, 10:38:07 AM

I had never seen that FORUM Opening. Delightful.

The Metropolitan Opera Cancels All Fall Performances  Jun 2 2020, 09:36:26 PM

Shame. Such an exciting season, too.

Why Are Sondheim’s Books So Expensive?  May 27 2020, 08:40:21 AM

Why would Finishing the Hat be out of print? That seem shocking to me, considering it's only 10 years old and by such a prominent person. Expensive to print, perhaps?

NYT Poll Shows One Hurdle to Reopening Broadway: Fear of Jerks  May 27 2020, 08:38:06 AM

It's worth noting the vaccine is still maybe a year away. (A human trial has started in Australia, but who knows.) Theatres making plans for winter 2021, or even spring 2021 would be operating before a vaccine.

Those are just goals or dates set for budget planning, of course. But if any do think of coming back before a vaccine, there may have to be some attempts at these measures.

And I agree, I already feel an increasing degree of fatigue and growing irresponsibility among

Sam Mendes Gypsy (2003)  May 24 2020, 10:04:35 AM

qolbinau said: "''It holds up the way 'Citizen Kane' holds up,'' says Mr. Sondheim of the show now. ''Every scene is juicy. The characters are vivid. The songs are sharp and entertaining. You can't get bored in 'Citizen Kane' and you can't get bored in 'Gypsy.' I can hear someone saying it's a vulgar show or an obvious show but not that it's a boring show.'' There is a bit of Kane as well in the driving,

2020 Tony Awards  May 15 2020, 09:59:37 AM

I was in the camp of saying there would definitely be a Tonys in 2020. But with the way this virus and gov't's response is going, there isn't any way theatre is starting in 2020 obviously.

*If* next spring is possible, as is the current hope and tentative plan, then maybe we could have almost the close of this season in April & May 2021? That would almost feel like a giant pause.

Of course, no one knows anything and all I'm saying now will sound stupid soon.<

Hamilton Broadway Coming to Disney Plus July 3  May 12 2020, 09:21:27 AM

I, for one, did not see that coming!

I thought for sure after that huge bidding war Disney would want a theatrical release and all that box office. But I suppose it's now a huge driver for Disney+ subscriptions.

I wonder who pushed for this. Was it Lin since In the Heights was pushed next year, or Disney+ wanting to throw more coal in the furnace on Disney+?

I'm slightly bummed about not being able to watch this in a movie theater, I admit. It'll be the first

Any Updates on THE BOYS IN THE BAND?  May 10 2020, 10:11:39 AM

I had forgotten Mantello was directing. Interesting he is since I recall reading after making the Love Valour Compassion film, he felt movie-making wasn't for him. Wonder if it's just for this labor of love, or if he's taking on new challenges.

A STRANGE LOOP receives 2020 Pulitzer for Drama  May 5 2020, 10:17:12 AM

What a shock and a thrill. So deserved.

Without question, one of the most talked-about shows at any industry function this year. So, in retrospect, perhaps inevitable? But really, what a thrill. HEROES... was, as well, and I long assumed it would win. No comment on SP.

I hope this helps it re-navigate its way to Bway after all of this. I have a feeling it will. Thrilling.

Patti LuPone didn't like 90th Birthday 'Ladies who lunch'  May 3 2020, 12:57:13 PM

bryan2 said: "I used to love Patti but how high of an opinion of herself does she need...she is a star on Broadway and pretty much the rest of the country doesn't have a clue who she is ...."

The point you're making by listing their greater accomplishments is likely what upset her.

What y'all don't know about actors could clearly fill this board several times over even without shows running.

She doesn't think she's better. Like m

Patti LuPone didn't like 90th Birthday 'Ladies who lunch'  May 3 2020, 12:50:19 PM

The second she said it I knew all the pearl-clutchers here would go off.

Agree it seemed unnecessary, as she could've easily dismissed it as "fun." But it's clear at this age, and she hasn't always been in this way, she isn't interested in giving the answer the publicist wants. Was happy she knew not to actually vocalize it, though.

Do I wish she took things less personally? Sure, but for her own sake. But it's her life, not ours.

And ALSO, t

Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020  May 1 2020, 10:35:59 AM

I feel like I don't see how anyone wins besides Adrienne Warren. Agree it might've been different had the season concluded, but now I don't see another obvious choice.

KPOP to Broadway  Apr 28 2020, 05:22:56 PM

Nah, it only seems large because they list the associates.

Buyer and Cellar Livestream  Apr 21 2020, 10:02:41 AM

This was so delightful. And I think the most successful attempt I've seen at streaming something live so far. It was remarkable how much you were able to fall right into the story.

1776 Broadway revival cast for 2021  Apr 16 2020, 04:47:31 PM

Valentina3 said: "I think a non-male perspective to this show could be fascinating. I agree with you all that it needs to havea point of view. It cannot be all female just for the sake of it. But I trust Paulus won't make us go through something shallow."

Agreed. Casting isn’t concept. But Paulus knows that. 

Victory Gardens' FUN HOME will stream online for two weeks  Apr 15 2020, 11:47:59 AM

Was this production similar to Gold's, or a new interpretation?

Glenn Close wants to start 'Sunset' movie by the end of this year  Apr 15 2020, 11:46:37 AM

castlestreet said: "My main concern continues to be who is directing, and not feeling the need to change the show in its move to the big screen. The musical is extremely faithful to the movie and only made slight changes here and there."

I agree. And both presents the challenge of having to essentially recreate a very classic film with all the comparisons that follow, while also turning that into a musical, which needs to have its own cinematic vocabulary.

It&

Patti in her basement  Apr 2 2020, 10:19:39 AM

Can we also take a moment to appreciate Patti in full Norma drag? Even 10 years ago that would have seemed unimaginable. Love it.

National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' will stream online for free!  Mar 27 2020, 09:32:07 AM

I imagine for the same reason other theatres have been able to. These are very special circumstances. Perhaps some people are waving royalties, especially in the instances of streaming things for free. Or unions have quickly negotiated contracts that just apply to the shutdowns. UK unions are famously less strict than the US, but the contracts the unions cut for the filmed shows are expensive, which is why this isn't done more often.

The Tonys are officially postponed!  Mar 26 2020, 05:16:43 PM

I think that all makes sense. And it truly depends on how we navigate the virus' spread and possible aftershocks, you're right.

I will note this season, even with cancellations, is still larger than many seasons in the 90s. So, in terms of quantity, there isn't a reason to combine this season and next.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.