WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Thursday, April 10, 2014 - BULLETS OVER BROADWAY Opens, CABARET on THE TONIGHT SHOW and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- BULLETS OVER BROADWAY opens on the Great White Way tonight! Check back later for our live Review Roundup, and see first photos of the cast here!
- Set your DVR! Alan Cumming and the cast of CABARET are set to 'Willkommen' Broadway to THE TONIGHT SHOW STARRING JIMMY FALLON tonight!
- The company of New York Theatre Workshop's RED-EYE TO HAVRE DE GRACE meets the press today, so be sure to come back later for photos!
- Another opening tonight - Pan Asian Rep presents the World Premiere of Edward Sakamoto's FISHING FOR WIVES off-Broadway!
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- This year's Special Tony Award recipients were announced! Congrats to Charlotte Wilcox, Joe Benincasa and Joan Marcus.
- We got a first look at Neil Patrick Harris as HEDWIG and the company of BULLETS OVER BROADWAY glitzing it up onstage!
- Plus, Baz Luhrmann's STRICTLY BALLROOM unveiled its first commercial, featuring highlights from the show!
- JERSEY BOYS became the 13th longest-running show on Broadway.
- Add another cast album to your birthday list! Masterworks Broadway will release the BULLETS OVER BROADWAY recording this June.
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST will launch its first-ever international tour in celebration of its 20th anniversary this fall!
- More big news on BroadwayWorld's Jule Styne tribute at Joe's Pub! Alice Ripley just signed on for the concert, and we couldn't be happier!
- Broadway vet Donna Murphy is set to join the cast of USA Network's ROYAL PAINS in a recurring role, beginning this summer.
- On the not-so-happy news front, A NIGHT WITH JANIS JOPLIN has postponed its off-Broadway gig indefinitely, and the West End's National Theatre let its WAR HORSE orchestra go, opting to use a pre-recorded soundtrack in lieu of live musicians...
Broadway Weather Forecast: Sunny with a high of 61 degrees. We love it when we get to use that bright little icon!
Quote of the Day: A busy actor is a happy actor...
"As a working actor, all I want to do is work. That's it. It's terrifying when you don't work. It's very hard when you don't work. There have been times when I've been out of work for like six months. I feel theatre to me is like manna."
-- Sandra Oh (via BrainyQuote)
What we're looking forward to reading: ALL THE WAY star Bryan Cranston's upcoming BREAKING BAD memoir. We have no doubts that his behind-the-scenes look at the long-running, cult AMC drama will have us tearing through the pages or listening raptly to the audio version on our commute! Image source.
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Laura Bell Bundy, turning 33 today! Bundy has starred on Broadway in Hairspray, Wicked and Legally Blonde, the last of which earned her the 2007 Tony Award nomination for Best Actress in a Musical. Since Legally Blonde, Bundy has turned to the small screen, with roles in the upcoming To Appomattox, as well as Anger Management, How I Met Your Mother and Hart of Dixie. She is also a country singer.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!