WAKE UP with BWW 8/1/14 - HAIR at the Hollywood Bowl, Edinburgh Fringe and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? This weekend's big news: HAIR gets wild with an all-star cast at The Hollywood Bowl this weekend, and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival launches in Scotland today!
Next up in our series of Broadway stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Tony nominee Celia Keenan-Bolger, who has starred on Broadway in The Glass Menagerie, Peter and the Starcatcher, Les Miserables and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Take her adorable morning smirk with you as you start your weekend, and head on down to today's lineup!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- HAIR, starring FROZEN's Kristen Bell, GLEE's Amber Riley and Jenna Ushkowitz, MODERN FAMILY's Sarah Hyland, WEEDS' Hunter Parrish and more, opens tonight at the Hollywood Bowl!
- WRITE OUT FRONT begins at the Drama Book Shop today. This month, look for hundreds of playwrights crafting new plays in the storefront window...
- The 2014 Edinburgh Fringe Festival officially kicks off today in Scotland!
- And it's KIDS WEEK across the pond -- get free tickets to 36 different shows throughout London.
- Plus, rehearsals begin today for Playwrights Horizons' BOOTYCANDY, and the company meets the press. Stay tuned for our behind-the-scenes coverage!
In the meantime, whip that hair back and forth in honor of HAIR in L.A.!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- INTO THE WOODS movie launched its official website and unveiled a phenomenal new teaser trailer and poster! This film can't come fast enough. Christmas, hurry up!
- Anjelica Huston, Mia Farrow, Carol Burnett, Alan Alda and more are set for Broadway's all-star revival of A.R. Gurney's LOVE LETTERS!
- Jackie Hoffman has joined the cast of ON THE TOWN.
- Christopher Fitzgerald is returning to Broadway's CHICAGO in a new role starting next week!
- The GYPSY film adaptation is moving ahead at Universal with a new screenwriter and possibly Barbra Streisand as star and director!
- Cyndi Lauper, Richard Gere and the NY Yankees have teamed up on the animated feature HENRY & ME.
- Christine Ebersole, Hunter Ryan Herdlicka and more will honor Elaine Stritch in a one-night-only concert at 54 Below this fall...
- And finally, ABC released more stills of FROZEN's Elsa (Georgina Haig - right) and more in ONCE UPON A TIME!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Tut, tut. Mostly cloudy all weekend with thunderstorms on Saturday. High of 82 degrees.
Quote of the Day: HAIR star Kristen Bell shares some of her free spirit...
Video of the Day: Check out the 2009 Broadway revival of HAIR performing "Hair" at the Tony Awards!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Sam Mendes, who hits the big 5-0 today!
Mendes is currently directing Roundabout's revival of Cabaret on Broadway and helmed last year's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the West End. He has also led The Vertical Hour, Gypsy and The Blue Room on the Great White Way. Among his other West End directing credits are The Fix, Company, Oliver!, Cabaret and Assassins. As producer, he won the 2010 Tony Award for Best Play for Red, and the same in 2003 for Take Me Out, as well as 2000's The Real Thing. Also an acclaimed film director, Mendes is best known for American Beauty, which won him an Academy Award in 1999.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!