WAKE UP with BWW 7/24/14 - Kristin Chenoweth, FOOL FOR LOVE, LIGHTNING THIEF and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: FOOL FOR LOVE opens at WTF, THE LIGHTNING THIEF strikes off-Broadway, and it's Kristin Chenoweth's birthday!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Nina Arianda and Sam Rockwell star in FOOL FOR LOVE, opening tonight in Williamstown!
- THE LIGHTNING THIEF (more here) and PUPPET TITUS ANDRONICUS open off-Broadway!
- Lesli Margherita, Bruce Vilanch and more participate in a reading of I HAD A BALL at the NYPL today.
- Margherita is doing double-duty today, along with Lena Hall, Barrett Foa and more in VILLAIN: DEBLANKS tonight at 54 Below...
- Set your DVR! Birthday girl Kristin Chenoweth appears on on Bravo's WATCH WHAT HAPPENS tonight.
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Constantine Maroulis is returning to his Tony-nominated role in ROCK OF AGES next month!
- Broadway's OF MICE AND MEN will be screened internationally via National Theatre Live!
- Daniel Sunjata and more joined Blythe Danner in the Broadway-Bound THE COUNTRY HOUSE...
- Signature's THE WAYSIDE MOTOR INN will now play through September!
- Lots of show shots yesterday! Check out Kyra Sedgwick in THE DANISH WIDOW at Powerhouse, Billy Magnussen and Anna Gunn in Second Stage's SEX WITH STRANGERS (right), and MALA HIERBA off-Broadway!
- Some drama in the opera world -- the Musicians Union released a statement on Met Opera General Manager Peter Gelb's threats to cancel the season...
- And over in the UK, THE BODYGUARD set its national tour dates, PHANTOM announced some fall cast changes, and Regent Park's production of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD will star Daniel Betts as Atticus Finch!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Cloudy with a high of 83 degrees, but no rain - go check out today's BULLETS-heavy BROADWAY IN BRYANT PARK!
Quote of the Day: Happy birthday, Kristin! Celebrate your 40s!
I'm trying to learn, as I'm in my 40s, to embrace what I've been able to achieve and be proud of it. And I know there's roles that I will want to play before I die, but I'm still just taking one day at a time.
-- Kristin Chenoweth (via BrainyQuote)
Video of the Day: Of course we know Kristin Chenoweth is a knock-out on Broadway, so let's take a different route with a clip of the star singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" in PUSHING DAISIES' musical episode! (Can she please play this part in the Broadway adaptation?!)
And last but not least, an official Happy Birthday shout-out to Kristin Chenoweth, who turns 47 today!
Chenoweth starred in the ABC series Pushing Daisies, where she received an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. The actress also appeared on Fox's GLEE, for which she was nominated for two Emmy Awards. She is known for her Tony-winning performance in You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown, and of course, as the original Glinda in Wicked on Broadway, which earned her a leading actress Tony Award nomination. In May, she returned to Carnegie Hall for a sold-out concert that showcased her opera chops. She is returning to the Great White Way this coming spring in On the Twentieth Century -- we can't wait to have you back, Kristin!
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!