Podcast Exclusive: The Theatre Podcast With Alan Seales: Bernie Telsey
Bernie Telsey is one of the biggest names in the business. You may not see him on stage but he has introduced the world to some of the biggest names on Broadway.
Bernie and his team at Telsey + Company have cast literally hundreds of Broadway, off-Broadway, and regional productions, in addition to your favorite TV shows and movies, and more. He is also one of the co-creators of MCC Theatre, which he started right after graduating NYU. Bernie got his big break after casting one the most beloved musicals, Rent, and started a casting trend that almost single handedly changed the face of the industry, and helped to bring the large volume of filming tv, film, and commercials to New York City that we see today.
This episode covers:
- The behind the scenes of casting a show and how it is different for each genre
- Starting MCC Theatre with friends from college
- Getting his big break casting Rent, after trying to not do it
- How the internet has helped (and hurt) how shows are cast these days
- What it takes to run bi-coastal, massive casting agency
- How he helped usher in a new wave of Broadway and changed the industry
- Advice on how to get seen in this business, and the proper way to submit yourself to casting agents
What is The Theatre Podcast?
A weekly release of intimate, personal conversations with theatre's biggest talents showcasing what makes them human. Featuring stars of the stage and the producers, stage managers, directors, press and marketing agents, theatre owners and other creatives of this industry. Hosted by Alan Seales. Music by Jukebox the Ghost.
Visit TheTheatrePodcast.com to listen to more episodes or subscribe easily via:
The Theatre Podcast is a proud member of the Broadway Podcast Network.