Bloomingdale's Teams with THE GREATEST SHOWMAN for Holiday Window Display
To ring in the season of glitz, glamour and glee, Bloomingdale's has teamed up with the new movie that puts style and spectacle center stage, 20th Century FOX Film's THE GREATEST SHOWMAN. The highly anticipated film, in theaters December 20th, brings the story of big-top visionary P.T. Barnum to the big screen. The cinematic extravaganza guides every aspect of the retailers' holiday celebration this year from exclusive product to in-store experiences and the iconic Bloomingdale's 59th Street holiday windows.
Check out an exclusive first look at the windows at InStyle.com here
"Each year we look forward to unveiling our holiday windows. We are thrilled to welcome New Yorkers and visitors of all ages to experience this year's spectacular design and animation," says Tony Spring, Bloomingdale's Chairman and CEO. "The magic of P.T. Barnum is captured throughout our 59th Street flagship, inspired by our partnership with The Greatest Showman and brought to life with 7.6 million Swarovski crystals in our Lexington Avenue Windows. This project and partnership is one of things that makes Bloomingdale's like no other store in the world."
"We gravitated toward this partnership because of the strong message of inclusion and following one's dreams that is prevalent throughout The Greatest Showman. We wanted to bring this theme to Bloomingdale's this holiday season and all year long," said Frank Berman, Bloomingdale's Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. "It has been exciting to see a major motion picture come to life within the retail space through exclusive merchandise, in-store presence, marketing initiatives and of course Bloomingdale's holiday window displays."
THE GREATEST HOLIDAY WINDOWS
This year, Bloomingdale's teamed up with Swarovski to create the "Greatest Holiday Windows" on Lexington Avenue. The windows were unveiled on November 21st with jaw dropping circus acts and a special performance by Keala Settle who plays the Bearded Lady in The Greatest Showman. Actor and singer- Zendaya, who stars in the film as well as the Bloomingdale's holiday campaign, also joined in on the unveiling festivities.
This season's windows bring the soundtrack from The Greatest Showman and iconic P.T.Barnum quotes to life. The Lexington Avenue windows awaken the senses with magical visuals and musical moments while Swarovski crystal-encrusted circus ODDITIES play a starring role in each window scene. As onlookers get closer to the glass they will hear the song that each window is inspired by. The key ingredient in this year's festive windows are Swarovski crystals. Over 7,600,000 crystals were used to embellish and transform the costumes and props in each window.
"We are thrilled to collaborate with Bloomingdale's and FOX to celebrate this holiday season with whimsical windows illuminated by over 7.6 million Swarovski crystals," said Nadja Swarovski, Member of the Executive Board, Swarovski. "Swarovski's continued support of diversity and inclusion, which so brilliantly reflects in our company's values, shines brightly through the The Greatest Showman film as well as the crystallized costumes, props and Atelier Swarovski jewelry on display at the Bloomingdale's New York flagship."
- "IT'S SHOWTIME" - The first window opens the show by drawing inspiration from The Greatest Showman's song "From Now On". The world's tallest and smallest men, in Swarovski crystal-adorned hats, join forces to work the ticket booth for "The Greatest Windows on Lexington Avenue". Behind them, a video wall morphs from circus tent stripes to peppermint inspired optical illusions. Visitors are invited to step right up and become part of the show as they push a button and watch in amazement as their faces magically appear on screen inside the window.
- "THE GREATEST SHOW" - The opening song of the movie, "The Greatest Show" provides the inspiration for the next window which features visionary showman P.T. Barnum in the circus ring introducing the oddities.
- "A MILLION DREAMS" - Next, onlookers are taken inside P.T. Barnum's vivid imagination as a boy with the song "A Million Dreams". A forest of trees growing out of a run-down mansion is decorated in garlands made of Swarovski crystals. Two mannequins completely covered in Swarovski crystals represent floating shadows of circus performers. The video back wall represents Barnum's vivid imagination, displaying more shadows of circus performers.
- "COME ALIVE" - This window, inspired by the song, "Come Alive" represents the scene inside the American Museum. A larger than life carriage covered in Swarovski crystals is the focal point of this window. The snake charmer, strong man and tattooed lady also make an appearance in the scene while vintage circus posters are displayed in the background. Again, onlookers can join in on the fun by interacting with the Oracle to reveal their fortune.
- "THIS IS ME" - "This is Me" is a celebration of the ODDITIES coming together as a family despite their differences. The Bearded Lady is the star of the window surrounded by Swarovski crystal-encrusted oddities. A rotating spotlight focuses on each oddity giving them their moment to shine. Holiday trees covered in champagne glasses set the celebratory scene.
- "REWRITE THE STARS" - The magical window journey ends with a heartwarming scene inside the big top where Anne Wheeler and Phillip Carlyle, played by Zendaya and Zac Efron in the film, fall in love. Phillip watches in admiration as Anne perches on her trapeze bar with the night sky shimmering behind them illuminated by over 800 Swarovski Moravian Stars.
THE MAGIC CONTINUES IN-STORE
The magic continues inside the flagship with circus act themed visual displays greeting customers throughout the store. A pop-up shop on the 3rd floor displays the "greatest gifts" of the holiday season, inspired by the film. These feats of fashion, awe-inspiring accessories and gifts of wonder will make everyone gasp in delight.
Shoppers can also take home the magic of The Greatest Showman while supporting a good cause by purchasing the "greatest" Little Brown Bag. The film's Director, Michael Gracey and Costume Designer, Ellen Mirojnick have designed two limited edition Little Brown Bags inspired by the movie. The collectable bags are available at Bloomingdale's and bloomingdales.com with a portion of the proceeds benefitting Bloomingdale's long-standing holiday charity partner, Child Mind Institute (CMI). For the eighth consecutive year, Bloomingdale's will also to continue to support CMI with their annual collectible Little Brown Bear by Gund.
THE GREATEST COLLABORATION: ZENDAYA X AQUA
Actress and singer, Zendaya, plays a starring role in the Bloomingdale's holiday campaign, gracing the cover and pages of the retailer's holiday catalog. The high flying actress, who stars as trapeze artist Anne Wheeler in the film, is featured modeling ensembles from the Zendaya x Aqua collection, a collaboration between Bloomingdale's private label and the star. The collection is inspired by the dazzling look and disarming spirt of the movie. It features six show stopping pieces all retailing under $200.