Skip to main content Skip to footer site map


× New: Upvote messages you find helpful. Messages with multiple votes will be highlighted. Also posts reported by several users will now be hidden by default (but can be toggled on) while awaiting moderation.

2022/2024 Election for Dems

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/13/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#1
Posted: 11/4/21 at 7:37am
I know I have had disagreements with others on here regarding our current President prior to and during their Presidency for many reasons. I am genuinely curious what peoples thoughts are after Tuesday. Im scared, terribly upset, and anxiety ridden from Politics again for first time since the Inauguration.

All I really have to ask though is, after Virginia, is this not THE clearest sign that Biden/Harris must absolutely be dropped for 2024? I mean I feel we are asking to lose with an 82 year old Joe Biden, who is losing popularity, is going to beat a potential Trump run, Desantis run, Haley run, etc..

I dont know who the answer is, but its clear its not Joe. Too much to turn around in terms of positive view point on the administration at this point, and he never bodes confidence in me with his speeches.

Looking for genuine discussion on this!
Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
Broadway Legend
joined:10/9/04
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/04

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#2
Posted: 11/4/21 at 8:10am

I guess I’m officially old enough to say I’m to a point where I see the cycle happen over and over again. 
 

I for one refuse to let anything about an election a year from now worry me, because so much can happen in a year. What it ultimately comes do to is are the Dems willing to look at the moment and actually do what we elected them to do in the first place? If they don’t then they loose, but to reduce this to “Joe Biden is a failed president!” is just the 24 news cycle hysteria.

 

Unplug for a bit, turn off the news till next week. Don’t even announce that you’re doing it, take walks, catch up with friends, go see some live music, go be in the world.

Live your life, spread joy and not headlines. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/13/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#3
Posted: 11/4/21 at 8:19am

Lavieboheme3090 said: "I guess I’m officially old enough to say I’m to a point where I see the cycle happen over and over again.


I for one refuse to let anything about an election a year from now worry me, because so much can happen in a year. What it ultimately comes do to is are the Dems willing to look at the moment and actually do what we elected them to do in the first place? If they don’t then they loose, but to reduce this to “Joe Biden is a failed president!” is just the 24 news cycle hysteria.



Unplug for a bit, turn off the news till next week. Don’t even announce that you’re doing it, take walks, catch up with friends, go see some live music, go be in the world.

Live your life, spread joy and not headlines.
"

That is my point though, will they do anything we elected them for? That’s why this is a 2022/2024 thread, not just Biden. I fear the exact same cycle happening, already.
 

However he’s the President, so he’s on the ballot for 2024 and people tend to put all blame on Presidents, good or bad, regardless of party. So it’s not that simple. 
 

I also don’t really read the news, this is just the reality that we’re in Politically. As a 24 yo, losing to a GOP candidate in 2024 is worst case scenario for life, so I hear you, my anxiety does not work this way and we’re in a monumentally important time in human history. 

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
Broadway Legend
joined:10/9/04
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/04

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#4
Posted: 11/4/21 at 8:32am

I think a lot about this Gandalf quote from The Lord of the Rings.

“So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

I’m not saying that feels of anxiety and worry aren’t valid, but if you spend your life being dictated by the fear of a political party what are you going have to look back on?
 

 

JennH
Broadway Legend
joined:11/14/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/14/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#5
Posted: 11/4/21 at 8:57am

^^A time in history books that will be viewed as avoidable perhaps? Dems are just your every, day do-nothing, politicians but the current GOP has lost their dang minds and there is every reason in the world to fear that party. Or at least most in that party.

These past 5-10 years have taught me the real meaning of the famed phrase about history repeating itself. That's where we're at. We're currently repeating it and that alone is terrifying. I have no idea how VA could go THAT blue in 2020 but turn right back round and go red all over again. I know this tends to happen there after every presidential cycle, and same with NJ (Bless NJ for beating those odds this time...but DAMN I can't sit on pins and needs like this constantly anymore) but this is why VA was the race to pay attention to. Can a lot happen in a year? Yes. Do I expect that? No. Because Dems are not learning from their mistakes, so what should make me expect they will in time for next year? "Going high when they go low" is.not.working. It's beyond time for them to play hardball, because the GOP absolutely will, and heaven knows I'm sick of the excuses and exhausted from my constant anxiety of knowing what's coming if nothing is done...which is all but guaranteed at this point. I'd love to be wrong of course, but that requires those who align left to SHOW UP. Just came across a pretty apt description of this phenomenon..."When the right votes, they fall in line. When the left votes, they fall apart." For some reason, the left tends to not show up to vote the next round if their nom gets in office. That has to stop for starters, but I don't have many answers beyond that, if any.

Updated On: 11/4/21 at 08:57 AM
JennH
Broadway Legend
joined:11/14/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/14/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#6
Posted: 11/4/21 at 9:17am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_EideffKCM

Also this. He's not wrong. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
joined:2/11/06
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/11/06

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#7
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:01am
Murphy had a terrible campaign for NJ. Essentially telling voters if you don't like taxes to get out. If his opponent didn't flip-flop on his support for #45, he might have actually won.
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
joined:7/20/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#8
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:11am

This happens every 2 years. First the Dems win then the GOP wins. It's been like this forever. Nothing to be concerned or "anxiety ridden" about. 

I love Joey Robinette but he ran to get Creamsicle Fu*kface out. That was it. He was more popular than Bernie by 1 million miles. He won. No need for him to run again and at his age, I want him to enjoy his retirement and his last years with family and leisure. Younger people is what we need, not 80 year olds (on both sides) refusing to give up that control. 

Younger people look at the world differently, thankfully, and we need that kind of energy in Washington. We have a long way to go but let's look forward to more positive times instead of approaching it with automatic dread. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Legend
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/10/18

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#9
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:41am

This one lost election does not mean calamity for the Democratic Party (we also WON in New Jersey).   Jeez.  Joseph Biden is exactly the President we need now AND again in 2024.

PARIS OLYMPICS 2024
Updated On: 11/4/21 at 11:41 AM
Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/13/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#10
Posted: 11/4/21 at 12:12pm

Highland Guy said: "This one lost election does not mean calamity for the Democratic Party (we also WON in New Jersey). Jeez. Joseph Biden is exactly the President we need now AND again in 2024."

An 82 year old moderate will lose all your young voters, so if this is the plan you will lose, 100%. I say this as a 24 year old. Get younger, more able bodied people in the White House and young people will engage more. Joe Biden is doing absolutely not a thing for me right now and if politics weren’t so dire, I’d have a hard time voting for him or the Democratic Party as a whole, at the moment, as our country falls apart and no one in the entire party is doing a dammed thing. 
 

We need inspiration, energy, and a motivation to fight back. No more bi-partisan Mr Nice guy tactic, it’s clearly not working with the senate. We will need a change in order to win. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
joined:7/20/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#11
Posted: 11/4/21 at 1:16pm

No, an 82 year old man won't lose any young voters since they came out in 2020 to make sure he won. You underestimate your own generation who leans liberal and Democrat. Dems don't want to take rights away for disenfranchised folks, the GOP does.

Look, you were wrong about Bernie thinking he actually had a chance and you're wrong here.

I do hope you're doing well though, Mike. Having anxiety about things you can't control is a giant waste of time. Take care.

Updated On: 11/4/21 at 01:16 PM
Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Legend
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/10/18

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#12
Posted: 11/4/21 at 1:18pm

Mike Barrett said: "Highland Guy said: "This one lost election does not mean calamity for the Democratic Party (we also WON in New Jersey). Jeez. Joseph Biden is exactly the President we need now AND again in 2024."

An 82 year old moderate will lose all your young voters, so if this is the plan you will lose, 100%. I say this as a 24 year old. Get younger, more able bodied people in the White House and young people will engage more. Joe Biden is doing absolutely not a thing for me right now and if politics weren’t so dire, I’d have a hard time voting for him or the Democratic Party as a whole, at the moment, as our country falls apart and no one in the entire party is doing a dammed thing.


We need inspiration, energy, and a motivation to fight back. No more bi-partisan Mr Nice guy tactic, it’s clearly not working with the senate. We will need a change in order to win.
"

 

I hate ageism, in all its disgusting forms.

PARIS OLYMPICS 2024
Updated On: 11/4/21 at 01:18 PM
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
joined:1/9/15
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/9/15

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#13
Posted: 11/4/21 at 2:01pm
You think old, white, wealthy politicians are facing discrimination? Get out of here with that ageism argument. If anything, it’s the lack of young people(45 or under) in congress or leadership thats ageist. I honestly don’t get why we don’t have an age limit for politicians.

I think if democrats want any meaningful votes from
gen Z they better swing far left and fast.
Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/13/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#14
Posted: 11/4/21 at 2:55pm

Highland Guy said: "Mike Barrett said: "Highland Guy said: "This one lost election does not mean calamity for the Democratic Party (we also WON in New Jersey). Jeez. Joseph Biden is exactly the President we need now AND again in 2024."

An 82 year old moderate will lose all your young voters, so if this is the plan you will lose, 100%. I say this as a 24 year old. Get younger, more able bodied people in the White House and young people will engage more. Joe Biden is doing absolutely not a thing for me right now and if politics weren’t so dire, I’d have a hard time voting for him or the Democratic Party as a whole, at the moment, as our country falls apart and no one in the entire party is doing a dammed thing.


We need inspiration, energy, and a motivation to fight back. No more bi-partisan Mr Nice guy tactic, it’s clearly not working with the senate. We will need a change in order to win.
"



I hate ageism, in all its disgusting forms.
"

You ignore this question every time, thoughts on the age limits for someone young and old? We have an age limit right now to be of a certain age but not retire at a certain age. If pilots must retire at 65, why shouldn’t the President? I genuinely want to hear your answer. It’s an age limit I want. 
 

 

So again, thoughts on age limits? 
 

 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Legend
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/10/18

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#15
Posted: 11/4/21 at 4:10pm

Call_me_jorge said: "You think old, white, wealthy politicians are facing discrimination? Get out of here with that ageism argument. If anything, it’s the lack of young people(45 or under) in congress or leadership thats ageist. I honestly don’t get why we don’t have an age limit for politicians.

I think if democrats want any meaningful votes from
gen Z they better swing far left and fast.
"

Hey, I remember you from the most recent Presidential election!  How ya doing, BERNIE BRO.

 

 

PARIS OLYMPICS 2024
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
joined:7/20/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#16
Posted: 11/4/21 at 4:20pm
Mike, Imma pm you. 2022/2024 Election for Dems
Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Legend
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/10/18

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#17
Posted: 11/4/21 at 4:24pm

Mike Barrett said: "It’s an age limit I want.   So again, thoughts on age limits?"

 

NO  UPPER  AGE  LIMIT

 

PARIS OLYMPICS 2024
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
joined:2/11/06
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/11/06

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#18
Posted: 11/4/21 at 6:42pm
I do worry about Biden's age and health in general and wonder if he'll run again in 2024. Harris isn't all that well liked and I worry that if it's her vs. #45/Trump Jr./DeSantis/Cruz/Nikki Hailey/etc., she'll easily lose.
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Legend
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/10/18

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#19
Posted: 11/6/21 at 3:12pm

In a few minutes, President Biden will sign a major infrastructure Bill.  Doing great, Joe!  Our country is in able hands.

PARIS OLYMPICS 2024
Updated On: 11/6/21 at 03:12 PM
JGPR2
Stand-by
joined:2/18/17
Stand-by | Joined: 2/18/17

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#20
Posted: 11/6/21 at 7:12pm

"In a few minutes, President Biden will sign a major infrastructure Bill.  Doing great, Joe!  Our country is in able hands."

What planet are you on? Inflation is rising, Afghanistan withdrawal was a disaster, there are supply chain issues, southern border is being overrun with illegals (not tested for COVID) and Biden falls asleep at climate control summit.  In addition, it appears the leader of the free world can't do a press conference without being told what reporters to call on in the press conference. Meanwhile Biden is being mocked with "F*** Joe Biden" or "Let's Go Brandon" chants and it even happened in liberal Boston during Red Sox game. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Legend
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/10/18

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#21
Posted: 11/7/21 at 10:26am

JGPR2 said: ""In a few minutes, President Biden will sign a major infrastructure Bill. Doing great, Joe! Our country is in able hands."

What planet are you on? Inflation is rising, Afghanistan withdrawal was a disaster, there are supply chain issues, southern border is being overrun with illegals (not tested for COVID) and Biden falls asleep at climate control summit. In addition, it appears the leader of the free world can't do a press conference without being told what reporters to call on in the press conference. Meanwhile Biden is being mocked with "F*** Joe Biden" or "Let's Go Brandon" chants and it even happened in liberal Boston during Red Sox game.
"

What planet am I on?  I am on Planet Earth, where (to quote one headline) "Congress passes Biden infrastructure plan, the largest climate change investment in U.S. History".  Thank You, President Biden!

PARIS OLYMPICS 2024
Updated On: 11/7/21 at 10:26 AM
South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
Broadway Legend
joined:5/2/08
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/2/08

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#22
Posted: 11/7/21 at 2:56pm

The system that has created majorities for Republicans has been the gerrymandering.  As long as 2/3 of state governments are fully controlled executive and legislatively by the GOP we'll never have fair elections,  not with the current court, it's embedded.

 

Stephanatic
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
joined:8/13/09
Broadway Legend | Joined: 8/13/09

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#23
Posted: 11/7/21 at 3:20pm

ACL2006 said: "I do worry about Biden's age and health in general and wonder if he'll run again in 2024. Harris isn't all that well liked and I worry that if it's her vs. #45/Trump Jr./DeSantis/Cruz/Nikki Hailey/etc., she'll easily lose."

It's not like the VP automatically gets the nomination if the sitting president decides not to run for reelection. She would still need to get through the primaries. 

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend | Joined: 8/10/17

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#24
Posted: 11/8/21 at 1:54am

I agree with a lot of what others have said here. Namely that regardless of what CNN would have us believe, Tuesday’s election doesn’t necessarily mean much more than that’s how things tend to go in Virginia and NJ (although luckily for the first time since the 70’s a Democrat NJ Governor won re-election even if by the skin of his teeth). There is a lot of time between now and next November. A lot (good & bad) can happen (plus a gazillion other variables) before then to sway elections
 

i do think last week’s Governor elections were instructive in one way  I think just trying to link Republicans to Trump are working less well now. Republicans were running on largely non-existent culture war stuff, but at least they were issues. Democrats need to run on the issues.  

Also, as has been commented, Biden’s huge historic infrastructure bill just passed.  That’s more than the previous President managed to pass in his whole term. Once people start seeing the resulting improvements that can’t help but be helpful. 

Of course, things are not perfect right now. This administration inherited several nightmare scenarios, many of which have existed for decades or more, but were accelerated by the previous administration. It’s going to take time….and if history is any teacher, we’ll be lucky if we see 10% improvement in most of these areas. Which is still better than the 100% worsening we’d see if the previous president had won re-election. 

How next year’s midterms go will mostly depend mostly on the House & Senate Democrats being willing to pass Biden’s bills. This week was instructive. Look at how the Progressive Caucasus tried to hold up the progressive Infrastructure bill because it wasn’t accompanied by the BBB vote (in the House). They can largely afford to do that because those members are from places where their re-election is all but guaranteed so screw the more vulnerable Democrats from red and purple states who needed this win. Luckily, we got the W. 

And then on the other side, we namely have two moderate Senate Democrats who I understand are from states where they can’t afford to be viewed as too liberal, but they’re probably also on ego trips. Can’t we all be team players? 

None of that is on Biden. Is he a perfect president? No, none of them are. But all those who predicted if Biden was the nominee, we’d lose the election last year, need to admit they were wrong. It was precisely because Biden was the candidate that Trump lost. 

How will things go in 2024? Who knows. Personally, I see both the pros and cons of Biden seeking another term. On the pro side, if Trump is the Republican nominee again, Biden already kicked his a$$ once. Why not twice? Plus a Democrat president hasn’t lost re-election since 1980. And I am fairly certain your ideal progressive candidate won’t win over middle America, never mind Georgia and Arizona  

On the other hand, optics like Biden falling asleep at the COP26 don’t help. Plus, Presidents get elected on the promise of their first term. On their second term, they have to run on their record. 

So let’s see how the next three years go. Plus, let’s take a clue from the problem in the House and Senate. Let’s be open to saying what we don’t like about this administration, but let’s also be more open to loudly saying what they’re doing well. Let’s be teamplayers.  Let’s not do the Republicans job for them. 

mikey2573
Broadway Legend
joined:12/28/10
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/28/10

2022/2024 Election for Dems

#25
Posted: 11/15/21 at 5:39pm

The Democrat nominee in 2024 will be Hillary Clinton.