Cody Simpson to make Broadway debut in Anastasia as Dmitry

InTheBathroom1
Understudy
joined:10/6/18
Understudy
joined:
10/6/18
I went into it open minded and wanting him to be good. Little connection to Christy, though she was trying her damn best. Often times, he wasnít even looking at her. However, I thought the rest of the cast was in great shape.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/05
disneybroadwayfan22, what article are you referring to?
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." ó†Mister Matt
Catsbroadwayfan
Stand-by
joined:10/9/18
Stand-by
joined:
10/9/18
Zero chemistry. Itís clear this is the cody show, during In a crowd of thousands, he barley glanced at her and was more focused on him singing and attempted to oversing her.
Frances Walton
Swing
joined:11/30/18
Swing
joined:
11/30/18

Br0adway said: "VotePeron said: "Why stunt cast? Why him? This makes no sense. Even Cody, whose music I’m actually a fan of won’t get me to sit through this bore of a show for a third time.

Not to start rumors, but do we thinkZach Madkins is collateral damage in all this? Kind of like Brittain Ashford in Great Comet? Such a shame. I hope he left on his own accord and finds work soon, he’s so talented.
"



I started following Broadway right around the Great Comet thing (I still don't know what happened there anyway) but I too hope he left on his own terms. I hope they did go to him and say "you're not brining in the money we wanted so good bye" (but honestly, was Derek Klena brining in a lot of money?).

Zach did post a few tweets about saying bye to a bad relationship. Maybe he was talking about leaving Anastasia and something negative happened while he was there? I mean it happens in every work place so I wouldn't be surprised. (Unless that's the Great Comet thing? Lol)


He definitely was pushed out. He was only 8 months into his contract and no one signs an 8 month contract. The theatre also just "redecorated" the outside to include pictures of him. He was pushed out. 

 

bwayrose7 Profile Photobwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
Broadway Star
joined:3/18/11
Broadway Star
joined:
3/18/11

Frances Walton said: "Br0adway said: "VotePeron said: "Why stunt cast? Why him? This makes no sense. Even Cody, whose music I’m actually a fan of won’t get me to sit through this bore of a show for a third time.

Not to start rumors, but do we thinkZach Madkins is collateral damage in all this? Kind of like Brittain Ashford in Great Comet? Such a shame. I hope he left on his own accord and finds work soon, he’s so talented.
"



I started following Broadway right around the Great Comet thing (I still don't know what happened there anyway) but I too hope he left on his own terms. I hope they did go to him and say "you're not brining in the money we wanted so good bye" (but honestly, was Derek Klena brining in a lot of money?).

Zach did post a few tweets about saying bye to a bad relationship. Maybe he was talking about leaving Anastasia and something negative happened while he was there? I mean it happens in every work place so I wouldn't be surprised. (Unless that's the Great Comet thing? Lol)


He definitely was pushed out. He was only 8 months into his contract and no one signs an 8 month contract. The theatre also just "redecorated" the outside to include pictures of him. He was pushed out.


"

The Brittain situation is a great comparison, from what I know of the situation: setting aside a longtime but non-famous cast member in an attempt to goose the numbers. (The bad relationship thing was not about Anastasia, though, I don't think).

Bwayfan292 Profile PhotoBwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
Broadway Legend
joined:6/19/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/19/17
Social media responses have been pretty negative, except for the Cody stans.
"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13

LizzieCurry said: "disneybroadwayfan22, what article are you referring to?"

The bows article. Man, those pics were so awkward.

Catsbroadwayfan said: "Zero chemistry. It’s clear this is the cody show, during In a crowd of thousands, he barley glanced at her and was more focused on him singing and attempted to oversing her."

This makes me pretty mad. Christy deserves so much better.

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile PhotoBroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
Understudy
joined:7/5/17
Understudy
joined:
7/5/17

It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

(Granted, I usually don't catch her lives until she's done, and I tap through it, but I don't see him anywhere).

BroadwayRox3588 Profile PhotoBroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
Broadway Legend
joined:10/5/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/5/16

Can we please not talk about the whole Zach thing here? It's bad enough that stan Twitter hasn't shut up about it for almost an entire week. We get it, some of you don't like that Zach's contract ended early. I don't either, for that matter. But that's showbiz.

5.25.16 My life was changed by Bright Star 4.12.17 My life was saved by Anastasia
lgoody117
Swing
joined:7/16/18
Swing
joined:
7/16/18

I don't think anyone is surprised by these reviews. Hopefully he improves over time. 

BroadwayPrincess3 said: "It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

(Granted, I usually don't catch her lives until she's done, and I tap through it, but I don't see him anywhere).
"

I watched Christy's Instagram live last night. Max joined her for the entire video. She asked him towards the end of the live where Cody was and Max implied he was in his dressing room and they both acknowledged that they should probably let him be for his first show - which I get. He was probably nervous and wanted to stay focused. Christy of course only sang his praises during the entire live. 

 

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile PhotoBroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
Understudy
joined:7/5/17
Understudy
joined:
7/5/17

lgoody117 said: "I don't think anyone is surprised by these reviews. Hopefully he improves over time.

BroadwayPrincess3 said: "It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

(Granted, I usually don't catch her lives until she's done, and I tap through it, but I don't see him anywhere).
"

I watched Christy's Instagram live last night. Max joined her for the entire video. She asked him towards the end of the live where Cody was and Max implied he was in his dressing room and they both acknowledged that they should probably let him be for his first show - which I get. He was probably nervous and wanted to stay focused. Christy of course only sang his praises during the entire live.


"

I totally get that first performance jitters thing. It makes a lot of sense to me. Though he has actually been in the building before and just commented on the live instead of actually going into the dressing room. I'm sure the energy in Christy's room isn't for everyone. I probably wouldn't be able to handle all the exuberance every day (which isn't a knock on her or anyone - I love watching the lives). But I would get the appeal of stopping by, talking for a few minutes, getting some candy, and returning to the peace and quiet of my own room, haha. 

Hopefully he'll pop by soon. 

BLs68
Swing
joined:7/29/18
Swing
joined:
7/29/18

lgoody117 said: "I don't think anyone is surprised by these reviews. Hopefully he improves over time.

BroadwayPrincess3 said: "It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

(Granted, I usually don't catch her lives until she's done, and I tap through it, but I don't see him anywhere).
"

I watched Christy's Instagram live last night. Max joined her for the entire video. She asked him towards the end of the live where Cody was and Max implied he was in his dressing room and they both acknowledged that they should probably let him be for his first show - which I get. He was probably nervous and wanted to stay focused. Christy of course only sang his praises during the entire live.


"

She also kept asking if she and Cody had chemistry and Amy said “weelllll” and didn’t answer the question. Even Christy picked up on no chemistry. I feel bad for her. 

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
joined:1/9/15
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/9/15
??Jack-o-lanterns are just pumpkins who majored in musical theatre??
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13
Bwayfan292 Profile PhotoBwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
Broadway Legend
joined:6/19/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/19/17
Thatís so upsetting, she does such a great job at making people feel good at the stage door with her kindness. This is going to be a mess
"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13

I won't post it out of respect, but I ran across a photo of her last night at the stage door and she looked pretty upset. Poor thing Cody Simpson to make Broadway debut in Anastasia as Dmitry Does that Anastasia management know that Cody's management is taking over? Why didn't Cody do anything about it? <<edited by BWW staff>>

Updated On: 11/30/18 at 04:40 PM
MannPhan24601
Leading Actor
joined:11/4/15
Leading Actor
joined:
11/4/15

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I'm so furious. Apparently, Cody's manager is pushing Christy around at the stage door

http://damianhubbards.tumblr.com/post/180658757027

https://twitter.com/bwayIizzy/status/1068614502101524480

https://twitter.com/muellerbenoist/status/1068583368227463168
"

 

 

When I was active with Cody's fandom back in the day, he was with Bieber's management and they charged a crap ton of money for M&G tickets . M&G for his first tour was only about $20 then it went up to about $100 not even a year later playing at the same venues when he started with Bieber's management. I always heard stories of Cody's parents sneaking fans in . Cody's dad took my mom & I backstage pre Bieber management when the concert got moved and we had to change our 4th of July plans(This was at an amusement park). I saw good things  about the management he swtiched to recently but this seems even worse....Good thing I don't really follow him anymore and probably won't get back to NYC until the spring. I plan on seeing Anastasia in Philly in April. I would have liked to have seen Christy though...

Updated On: 11/30/18 at 04:59 PM
Bwayfan292 Profile PhotoBwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
Broadway Legend
joined:6/19/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/19/17
If you look at Codyís insta story, theres one where he comes out of the stage door and the look on Christyís face is so depressing.
"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/10/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/10/13

Bwayfan292 said: "If you look at Cody’s insta story, theres one where he comes out of the stage door and the look on Christy’s face is so depressing."

Yup, that was the picture I found online

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile PhotoBroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
Understudy
joined:7/5/17
Understudy
joined:
7/5/17
Updated On: 12/3/18 at 05:22 PM
WldKingdomHM Profile PhotoWldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
Stand-by
joined:9/11/14
Stand-by
joined:
9/11/14

I would of thought that he would of drawn a  bigger crowd at the stage door. She looks miserable. We love you girl. Next.

Updated On: 11/30/18 at 05:44 PM
InTheBathroom1
Understudy
joined:10/6/18
Understudy
joined:
10/6/18
I love Christy and that is the saddest I have ever seen her and it breaks my heart.
bwayrose7 Profile Photobwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
Broadway Star
joined:3/18/11
Broadway Star
joined:
3/18/11

I love this show a lot. I wanted to like Cody and hoped he would help drum up some numbers to keep this open. But honestly? I think this stunt has backfired and everyone is losing - the cast, the production, even Cody himself. 

It's not like the producers read these boards - and i know there's a lot more to stuntcasting than just "this guy would be good and bring money" - but: Chris Wood (from the TV Supergirl) as Dmitry? He's an actual musical theatre performer; I remember seeing him in that tour of Spring Awakening years ago and he's got a huge fanbase now. 

GreeneStreet Profile PhotoGreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
Stand-by
joined:10/10/18
Stand-by
joined:
10/10/18
Thatís very upsetting to hear. Theres also a picture of her at curtain call that looks VERY uncomfortable.
BroadwayPrincess3 Profile PhotoBroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
Understudy
joined:7/5/17
Understudy
joined:
7/5/17
Updated On: 12/1/18 at 07:47 PM

4
Page: 4