WAKE UP with BWW 7/11/14 - HBO With Nichols and O'Brien, Wopat and Jackson Croon at the Club, ATOMIC and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? This weekend's big news: HBO is filming Mike Nichols and Jack O'Brien in conversation tonight, Tom Wopat and Cheyenne Jackson are bringing their solo acts to separate clubs, and ATOMIC opens off-Broadway this Sunday!
SUBMISSIONS ONLY's Max von Essen returns to introduce this weekend's headlines with another fabulous portrait by BWW photographer Walter McBride. We've got more celebs in store for you in the coming weeks, so stay tuned and, of course, scroll on down to the news!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- EGOT winner and legendary director Mike Nichols speaks with fellow helmer Jack O'Brien about his life and work tonight; the conversation is being taped for HBO!
- Tom Wopat will sing tunes from his album "I've Got Your Number" at the Iridium this weekend, and Cheyenne Jackson brings his own MAD MEN-themed show to The Cabaret in Indianapolis....
- And ATOMIC, a new musical about the infamous Manhattan Project, opens off-Broadway this Sunday!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Claybourne Elder and Brynn O'Malley will star in Signature Theatre's SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE!
- In two weeks, Tony winner Priscilla Lopez will join PIPPIN as 'Berthe'; in other casting news, Elizabeth Ashley and Byron Jennings have joined the upcoming revival of YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU...
- The Kennedy Center's SIDE SHOW is eyeing a Broadway run as early as this fall!
- HEATHERS announced it will close early off-Broadway on August 4.
- HOLLER IF YA HEAR ME is struggling week-to-week, but its lead producer is raising $5 million to keep the show open...
- Lots of news from across the pond: THE AUDIENCE, starring Helen Mirren, is headed to Broadway, along with a potential run for the Bill Nighy-Carey Mulligan-led SKYLIGHT; and BEAUTIFUL is looking for a British 'Carole King' for the show's West End run!
- Speaking of Mike Nichols (in conversation for HBO tonight), the director will helm MASTER CLASS, starring Meryl Streep, for HBO in 2015.
- This year's Emmy Award nominees include Bryan Cranston, Jim Parsons, THE NORMAL HEART and the 2014 Tony Awards, with a record seven nominations!
- Kelli O'Hara will perform a benefit concert next month at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. And speaking of benefit shows, A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE's Bryce Pinkham will host one at Joe's Pub to support Zara Aina, with the help of Laura Osnes and more.
- Plus, Norm Lewis, Jessie Mueller and more will take part in BROADWAY BARKS this year!
Broadway Weather Forecast: The Weather Channel is predicting "abundant sunshine" for today with a high of 85, more of the same for Saturday, with thunderstorms on Sunday. So go work on your tan today and tomorrow (before you hit the theater, obviously)!
Quote of the Day: In honor of Mike Nichols' conversation this evening, hear what he says about finidng your passion...
Video of the Day: To prep for Cheyenne Jackson's cabaret show this weekend, watch him perform with the cast of XANADU at the 2008 Tony Awards ceremony!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Bruce McGill, who turns 65 today!
McGill has starred on Broadway in My One and Only, The Cherry Orchard and Hamlet. He appears in the TV series Rizzoli & Isles, and among his recent big screen prjects are Ride Along, Mr. Sophistication, Me Again, Lincoln, Elizabethtown, Cinderella Man and more.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!