WAKE UP with BWW 6/6/14 - Tony Awards Weekend!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: It's Tonys weekend, of course!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- Today, CUNY TV's 'Asian American Life' series goes inside "Broadway Asia", John Lithgow headlines Long Wharf Theatre's gala in Connecticut, and Carey Mulligan and Bill Nighy star in SKYLIGHT, beginning tonight in the West End!
- On Saturday, ROCKY celebrates its 100th performance on Broadway, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyne Daly and more help us prep for the Tonys in CBS's preview special "At the Tonys with Dana Tyler".
- On Sunday, CUNY TV is hosting a 7 and a half-hour marathon of nominee interviews leading up to the Tonys...
- And last but not least, THE TONY AWARDS, OF COURSE! Celebrate Broadway's biggest night at one of the many viewing parties around New York City, or sit down with a glass of wine at home with family and friends to watch the spectacle unfold. BWW will be bringing you nonstop coverage this Sunday evening, so stay tuned!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Jonathan Groff, Orlando Bloom, Rosie O'Donnell and more joined the Tony Awards presenters lineup!
- ALL THE WAY, starring Bryan Cranston, has recouped its investment on Broadway.
- ACT ONE will be filmed for "Live at Lincoln Center"!
- Brandon Victor Dixon will return in THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS when it opens at the West End's Garrick Theatre this fall.
- We got a look at Idina Menzel in the recording studio, singing "Learn to Live Without" from IF/THEN!
- Tracie Thoms and John Hawkes are set to lead David Auburn's LOST LAKE at Manhattan Theatre Club this autumn.
- Leslie Uggams will play 'Mama Rose' in Connecticut Rep's GYPSY in July!
- Chicago's Goodman Theatre is putting on a brand-new version of BRIGADOON this summer, featuring new orchestrations, new libretto and more...
- The JERSEY BOYS movie (the premiere is so close!) unveiled a new behind-the-scenes featurette.
- And BWW will premiere the season 3 finale of SUBMISSIONS ONLY right after the Tony Awards on Sunday!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Great weather for awards weekend -- highs in the low 80s and mostly sunny all three days!
Quote of the Day: Read what Tony Awards host Hugh Jackman loves about New York...
I love New York... I think it's the best city in the world. As far as cities go, everything's there. I think it's so vibrant. I love the people, I think they're honest, in your face. If they don't like you, they'll say, 'Get out of my way,' if they like you they'll slap you on the back and support you. It's a very intoxicating environment to be in.
-- Hugh Jackman (via BrainyQuote)
What we're watching (when we're not watching the Tonys, obviously): ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK Season 2. All 13 episodes hit Netflix today, and we are ready to binge-watch to our heart's content! Plus, Taylor Schilling (Piper Chapman), Laura Prepon (Alex Vause), Michael Harney (Sam Healy), Natasha Lyonne (Nicky Nichols), Pablo Schreiber (George Mendez) and Lia DeLaria (Carrie Black) all have theatre backgrounds.
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Harvey Fierstein, who turns 61 today!
Fierstein currently has three productions running on Broadway, including his play Casa Valentina and the musicals Kinky Boots and Newsies. As an actor, he has appeared in La Cage aux Folles, for which he also penned the book and won a 1984 Tony Award, A Catered Affair, Fiddler on the Roof, Hairspray, which earned him another Tony in 2003, Safe Sex, and the Torch Song Trilogy, which he wrote and starred in, receiving 1983 Tony Awards for Best Actor in a Play and Best Play.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!