WAKE UP with BWW 6/20/14 - JERSEY BOYS on the Big Screen, Powerhouse Kicks Off, BROADWAY BARES & More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? This weekend's big news: JERSEY BOYS serenade us on the big screen -- the movie opens wide today; the cast of ALADDIN appears at Barnes & Noble; tickets to King & Mellencamp's 'GHOST BROTHERS' tour go on sale; and BROADWAY BARES: ROCK HARD! hits the stage this Sunday!
Next up in our series of Broadway celebs introducting BWW's lovely morning feature is Max von Essen (portrait by Walter McBride), star of SUBMISSIONS ONLY, EVITA, LES MIS, DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES and more. WAKE UP with von Essen's charming smirk and get to reading this weekend's news!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS movie officially hits the big screen today! Read the reviews here.
- ALADDIN stars Adam Jacobs, Courtney Reed, Jonathan Freeman and James Monroe Iglehart will be signing CDs at Barnes & Noble today!
- A Q&A with THE BULLPEN creative team follows today's off-Broadway performance...
- Josh Radnor, TR Knight, Leslie Bibb and more star in Powerhouse's 2014 season, which kicks off today!
- Tickets go on sale today for Stephen King, John Mellencamp and T-Bone Burnett's GHOST BROTHERS OF DARKLAND COUNTY tour.
- Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Justin Guarini, Patti Murin and more lead Stageworks Media's GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN reading.
- HOLLER IF YA HEAR ME opened on Broadway last night (read the reviews), so be sure to check back for BWW's curtain call photos and interviews with the cast!
- BROADWAY BARES: ROCK HARD! strips onstage this Sunday with the help of CABARET's Alan Cumming, ROCKY's Andy Karl, MATILDA's Lesli Margherita and more!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Megan Fairchild, Alysha Umphress and Elizabeth Stanley have joined the cast of the Broadway-Bound ON THE TOWN revival!
- Tamsin Greig will lead WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN in the West End this winter, with Broadway director Bartlett Sher returning in the director's chair.
- Broadway's original PIPPIN John Rubinstein joined the cast a day early yesterday as 'Charles'!
- James Franco's directorial debut THE LONG SHRIFT confirmed its cast and dates at Rattlestick this summer...
- We got a first look at Kristin Chenoweth as Maleficent in Disney Channel's DESCENDANTS.
- And speaking of Chenoweth, the Broadway divas is among the 2015 Walk of Fame honorees, alongside Daniel Radcliffe and more!
- Gerry Goffin, Carole King's songwriting partner and ex-husband, passed away at the age of 75. His songs are featured in BEAUTIFUL on Broadway.
- Tony winners Deanna Dunagan and Rondi Reed will reunite with the original Broadway cast of AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY in L.A. Theatre Works' recording of the show next month!
- Nina Arianda and Sam Rockwell have replaced Lauren Ambrose and Chris Pine in Williamstown Theatre Festival's FOOL FOR LOVE...
- The theatre world did well at the 2014 CRITICS' CHOICE AWARDS, with wins for Ryan Murphy and Larry Kramer's THE NORMAL HEART, as well as its star Matt Bomer. Check out the full list here!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Mostly sunny with a high of 80 degrees for the weekend! Maybe our snark at yesterday's weather scared the rain away...
Quote of the Day: In honor of the new JERSEY BOYS film opening today, here's a quote from the musical that started it all...
They ask ya 'what was the high point?' The Hall of Fame, sellin' all those records, pullin' Sherry outta the hat? It was all great. But the first time the four of us made that sound, our sound... when everything dropped away and all there was was the music... that was the best.
-- Frankie Valli, Jersey Boys (via Wikiquote)
Video of the Day: Watch a clip of the JERSEY BOYS singing "Who Loves You" in Clint Eastwood's new movie adaptation, hitting theaters across the country today!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out Olympia Dukakis, who turns 83 today!
Dukakis last appeared on Broadway in 2000's Rose. She also graced the Great White Way in Social Security, Who's Who in Hell, Abraham Cochrane and The Aspern Papers. Among her many off-Broadway credits are The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore, The Singing Forest, A Mother, A Daughter, and A Gun, The Hope Zone, The Marriage of Bette and Boo, Curse of the Starving Class, Nourish the Beast, Baba Goya, Peer Gynt, The Memorandum, Father Uxbridge Wants To Marry, Electra, Crime and Crime and A Man's a Man.
The actress has quite a few films in the queue, including Outliving Emily, The Secret of the Gods, 7 Chinese Brothers and To the Flame. In 1987, Dukakis won an Academy Award, a Golden Globe and a BAFTA nomination for her performance in Moonstruck.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!