CSC Assassins update

amaklo
Stand-by
joined:5/2/15
Stand-by
joined:
5/2/15
CSC Assassins update#1
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:59am

Got an email from CSC about Assassins.  For those willing (or happy) to see another Doyle-directed Sondheim production:

CSC member on-sale:  December 17 at noon

Public on-sale: January 14 at noon

Performances run from April 2-May 17

gibsons2
Stand-by
joined:8/26/19
Stand-by
joined:
8/26/19
CSC Assassins update#2
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:07am

amaklo said: "Got an email from CSC about Assassins. For those willing (or happy) to see another Doyle-directed Sondheim production:

CSC member on-sale: December 17 at noon

Public on-sale: January 14 at noon

Performances run from April 2-May 17
"

 

Thank you so much for the info!!

 

KJisgroovy Profile PhotoKJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
Broadway Legend
joined:1/30/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/30/04
CSC Assassins update#3
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:34am

Thank you for the info! 

This is disappointing. I've planned a trip around this production based on the announced April-June run. I was slightly worried there might be some sort of scheduling nonsense but I never imagined it would only run 5 weeks. Oof. Should have known better I suppose. But. Still. Oof. 

Jesus saves. I spend.
DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Broadway Star
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Star
joined:
3/18/19
CSC Assassins update#4
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:41am

KJisgroovy said: "This is disappointing. I've planned a trip around this production based on the announced April-June run. I was slightly worried there might be some sort of scheduling nonsense but I never imagined it would only run 5 weeks. Oof. Should have known better I suppose. But. Still. Oof."

It is CSC's last show of their season, so it could easily extend. They probably will as it was announced with a run into June, at least a few more weeks.

SeanMartin2
Understudy
joined:3/21/19
Understudy
joined:
3/21/19
CSC Assassins update#5
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:51am

What instrument will Booth play?

And will all this be about getting Oswald to finally sit down at the piano?

Scarywarhol Profile PhotoScarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
joined:10/1/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/1/04
CSC Assassins update#6
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:11pm
I enjoyed Doyle's earlier Sondheim productions, but thought Pacific Overtures was utterly tacky and undergrad. May give this a chance since Assassins doesn't really require a very imaginative execution to play.
schubox
Broadway Legend
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/16/16
CSC Assassins update#7
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:21pm

KJisgroovy said: "Thank you for the info!

This is disappointing. I've planned a trip around this production based on the announced April-June run. I was slightly worried there might be some sort of scheduling nonsense but I never imagined it would only run 5 weeks. Oof. Should have known better I suppose. But. Still. Oof.
"

Similar for me. I am going to be in NYC for a day in June and was planning on seeing this, hopefully it extends 

keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
joined:12/1/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/1/06
CSC Assassins update#8
Posted: 12/12/19 at 6:27pm

Did not care for his approach to PACIFIC OVERTURES. Based on the awful Scottish Play and the unexciting plans for FRANKENSTEiN and DRACULA, I'll go to something else.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photobwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
joined:7/4/10
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/4/10
CSC Assassins update#9
Posted: 12/12/19 at 7:57pm

If I never see another John Doyle show in my life, it will still be too soon. I plan on keeping the recent production at City Center in my mind (which I loved).

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
ModernMillie3 Profile PhotoModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
Broadway Star
joined:9/23/13
Broadway Star
joined:
9/23/13
CSC Assassins update#10
Posted: 12/13/19 at 3:00pm
Thanks for this guys, I am looking forward to this, I've never seen it but the casting is too good to pass up.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/in-the-light-a-faustian-tale-concept-recording#/
chrishuyen
Featured Actor
joined:11/12/14
Featured Actor
joined:
11/12/14
CSC Assassins update#11
Posted: 12/17/19 at 1:58pm
More casting just announced! https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Adam-Chanler-Berat-Tavi-Gevinson-and-Andy-Grotelueschen-Have-Joined-Off-Broadway-ASSASSINS-Revival-20191217
perfectlymarvelous Profile Photoperfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
Broadway Legend
joined:5/21/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/21/07
CSC Assassins update#12
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:02pm

HOW on earth does Tavi Gevinson continue to get high profile acting jobs? She's been legitimately awful in the things I've seen her in, I don't understand. 

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
joined:4/6/12
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/6/12
CSC Assassins update#13
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:19pm

perfectlymarvelous said: "HOW on earth does Tavi Gevinson continue to get high profile acting jobs? She's been legitimately awful in the things I've seen her in, I don't understand."


Just curious: what have you seen her in?

Her performance in This is Our Youth was infamously terrible, but since then I think she’s really turned everything around. IMO she gave a strong (but not amazing) performance as Mary Warren in the Crucible. And then I thought she was genuinely excellent in both Days of Rage and Moscow etc. I sometimes joking refer to Gevinson as the “Most Improved Player” of NYC theatre. 
 

I think this is a great role for her. My only concern is that I’ve never heard her sing. 

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photoperfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
Broadway Legend
joined:5/21/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/21/07
CSC Assassins update#14
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:21pm

I saw her in This Is Our Youth (which, you're right, she was awful in) and in The Crucible, which I found less offensive but was also a significantly smaller role than This Is Our Youth. I still found her speech patterns and mannerisms onstage to be quite grating. I've also never heard her sing or even heard anyone mention that she can, so that's a concern as well. 

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
joined:4/6/12
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/6/12
CSC Assassins update#15
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:24pm
But you didn’t see her in Days of Rage or Moscow Moscow Moscow? Those were the 2 productions that really changed my mind about her.
nasty_khakis
Broadway Legend
joined:3/15/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/15/07
CSC Assassins update#16
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:52pm

I'm on perfectlymarvelous' side. Her voice is always so flat and grating and she seems to never have any variation in emotion or tone. Just flat with a strange modern upward inflection.

I thought she was the exact same character in all the shows mentioned so far. 

little_sally Profile Photolittle_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
joined:1/15/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/15/04
CSC Assassins update#17
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:59pm

I thought she was awful in Days of Rage but nobody came off well in that.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
little_sally Profile Photolittle_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
joined:1/15/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/15/04
CSC Assassins update#18
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:59pm

I thought she was awful in Days of Rage but nobody came off well in that.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
joined:4/6/12
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/6/12
CSC Assassins update#19
Posted: 12/17/19 at 3:03pm

little_sally said: "I thought she was awful in Days of Rage but nobody came off well in that."

 

Wild. I thought that was one of the strongest ensembles of last season. I thought everyone in that cast (except maybe Odessa Young) gave really strong performances.

Anyway, different strokes I guess.  

 

Updated On: 12/17/19 at 03:03 PM
52889j
Stand-by
joined:12/8/15
Stand-by
joined:
12/8/15
CSC Assassins update#20
Posted: 12/17/19 at 3:12pm

JBroadway said: "perfectlymarvelous said: "HOW on earth does Tavi Gevinson continue to get high profile acting jobs? She's been legitimately awful in the things I've seen her in, I don't understand."


Just curious: what have you seen her in?

Her performance in This is Our Youth was infamously terrible, but since then I think she’s really turned everything around. IMO she gave a strong (but not amazing) performance as Mary Warren in the Crucible. And then I thought she was genuinely excellent in both Days of Rage and Moscowetc. I sometimes joking refer to Gevinson as the “Most Improved Player” of NYC theatre.


I think this is a great role for her. My only concern is that I’ve never heard her sing.
"

I'm with you here. This is Our Youth was a bad outing and...anyone remember (shudder) The Cherry Orchard ?

Shockingly, I thought she was MVP of Days of Rage and though Moscow wasn't for me, she seemed to be in lock step with the creative vision for it.

gibsons2
Stand-by
joined:8/26/19
Stand-by
joined:
8/26/19
CSC Assassins update#21
Posted: 12/17/19 at 3:23pm

Can someone post the tickets price range, please? Trying to budget while attempting to squeeze in over 10 shows to see in 5 months....

Calcifer2
Chorus Member
joined:7/29/19
Chorus Member
joined:
7/29/19
CSC Assassins update#22
Posted: 12/17/19 at 3:33pm

gibsons2 said: "Can someone post the tickets price range, please? Trying to budget while attemptingto squeeze in over 10shows to seein 5 months...."

I saw $85-$125 when I logged in earlier. They also do rush (and “access tickets” during the run when things aren’t selling well). 

gibsons2
Stand-by
joined:8/26/19
Stand-by
joined:
8/26/19
CSC Assassins update#23
Posted: 12/17/19 at 3:38pm

Calcifer2 said: "gibsons2 said: "Can someone post the tickets price range, please? Trying to budget while attemptingto squeeze in over 10shows to seein 5 months...."

I saw $85-$125 when I logged in earlier. They also do rush (and “access tickets” during the run when things aren’t selling well).
"

Thank you!

 

Pashacar
Featured Actor
joined:11/2/18
Featured Actor
joined:
11/2/18
CSC Assassins update#24
Posted: 12/18/19 at 9:47am

^ Looks like previews are $80, if you're trying to squeeze a couple bucks extra out.

The premium seats go up to $150, but to CSC's credit there really are very few held back. Some of their peers might follow suit....

ModernMillie3 Profile PhotoModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
Broadway Star
joined:9/23/13
Broadway Star
joined:
9/23/13
CSC Assassins update#25
Posted: 12/19/19 at 2:01pm

Great price to see this cast perform this show. Im sure they will extend into June. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/in-the-light-a-faustian-tale-concept-recording#/



Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement