Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 2

Do you think the Phantom film should have been made earlier? - Page 2

bawoman
Swing
Swing

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "bawoman said: "Not a bad list maybe 10 years ago or 15, when the film was made, but now? Most of those people are way too old now for their parts/"

Good thing I said "if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004" then. Try reading a little more closely next time.
"

I apologize then, you are right.Should have read that better.

jesse benet
Swing
Swing

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I don't know if it should have been made earlier, but if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004, it would've looked something like this:

Director - Baz Luhrmann(just imagine that "Masquerade"...)
Choreographer - Rob Marshall

Phantom - Hugh Jackman
Christine - Anne Hathaway
Raoul - Ewan McGregor
Carlotta - Kristin Chenoweth
M. Firmin - Nathan Lane
M. André - Matthew Broderick
Mme. Giry - Glenn Close
Meg Giry - Katie Holmes
Ubaldo Piangi - Frederic Heringes
M. Reyer - Jonathan Pryce
Joseph Buquet - Jim Broadbent
Don Attilio / Passarino - Shuler Hensley
"

Luhrmann as director is an inspired choice, and the Lane + Broderick pairing would have been killer. It's not an opinion I expect anyone else to share, but I think either Ang Lee (based on Sense and Sensibility, the lushness of Life of Pi, and the thrill and beauty of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) OR Tim Burton would have done a terrific job. Phantom is so difficult because there's no little movement: it all takes place either in the opera house or the caverns beneath it. I think those directors would emphasize the extravagance and quieter moments while bringing some oomph to the few thrills the show offers. Burton at least would've made the Phantom's lair appropriately haunting and otherworldly (and just think about the crazed design he'd imagine for the Phantom himself). 

bawoman
Swing
Swing

jesse benet said: "g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I don't know if it should have been made earlier, but if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004, it would've looked something like this:

Director - Baz Luhrmann(just imagine that "Masquerade"...)
Choreographer - Rob Marshall

Phantom - Hugh Jackman
Christine - Anne Hathaway
Raoul - Ewan McGregor
Carlotta - Kristin Chenoweth
M. Firmin - Nathan Lane
M. André - Matthew Broderick
Mme. Giry - Glenn Close
Meg Giry - Katie Holmes
Ubaldo Piangi - Frederic Heringes
M. Reyer - Jonathan Pryce
Joseph Buquet - Jim Broadbent
Don Attilio / Passarino - Shuler Hensley
"

Luhrmann as director is an inspired choice, and the Lane + Broderick pairing would have been killer. It's not an opinion I expect anyone else to share, but I think either Ang Lee(based on Sense and Sensibility, the lushness of Life of Pi, and the thrill and beauty of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) OR Tim Burton wouldhave done a terrific job. Phantomis so difficult because there's no little movement: it all takes place either in the opera house or the caverns beneath it. I think those directors would emphasizethe extravagance and quieter moments while bringing some oomphto the few thrills the show offers.Burton at least would've made the Phantom's lair appropriatelyhaunting and otherworldly (and just think about the crazed design he'd imagine for the Phantom himself).
"

Ang Lee is a good choice. He can do big spectacle but keep the focus on the actual story and characters.

MichelleCraig Profile PhotoMichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Princeton2 wrote: I really disagree with the comment that Evita is awful, to me it's the best ALW movie adaptation and one of the best movie musicals of the last 30+ years. I'm no Madonna fan but I thought she nailed the role.

I totally agree...and I've never been a Madonna fan. I remember going to The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles for the premiere. The Blu-ray is pretty great to watch and crank up the volume, too.

Plannietink08 Profile PhotoPlannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

The more time goes on the more I realise that the Phantom film isn’t all that awful. There’s worse adaptions out there. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"
rattleNwoolypenguin
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I think there's no time period Phantom could be made where it wouldn't come off hokey.

It's SUCH a melodrama that can be forgiven onstage if you've got great performances, but on film it all comes off campy cause it takes itself so damn seriously.

My opinion of the movie they made was-yep, that's the show. Schlocky melodrama. I didn't feel like any spirit of the show was missing or anything. 

Elfuhbuh Profile PhotoElfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel like the movie’s biggest flaw was that they got the Phantom’s character all wrong, from his appearance, to his age, to the very way they presented the divide between his “Opera Ghost” persona and the deeper, more human moments around Christine. They just didn’t make it work at all, and I think that could’ve been a problem no matter when the movie was made. Hopefully they’ll try a remake someday.
"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

Elfuhbuh said: "I feel like the movie’s biggest flaw was that they got the Phantom’s character all wrong, from his appearance, to his age, to the very way they presented the divide between his “Opera Ghost” persona and the deeper, more human moments around Christine. They just didn’t make it work at all, and I think that could’ve been a problem no matter when the movie was made. Hopefully they’ll try a remake someday."

ALW's admitted having had requests from others suggesting a remake but says he's resisting. I think he doesn't want to finance it through Really Useful Films because of the 2004 mess. 

Schumacher was originally attached to the project, so I'm actually glad he didn't make it when he planned to - otherwise he'd have no doubt made Crawford and Brightman's performances terrible. 

Even casting aside, the look and feel of his film is all too wrong. Warm and garish colours, a weird timeline, a fictional opera house...no.

sparksatmidnight
Stand-by
Stand-by

To be fair, I'm always more interested in seeing a different adaptation than a literal translation from stage to screen. Even if the final product isn't always all that good, it's still more interesting for me to see a fresh take than a rehash afraid of offending the fans.