Ringwald Now Accepting Submissions for 5th Annual Gay Play Series
The Ringwald Theatre is sounding a call for new, original one-act plays to be performed at their 5th annual GPS (Gay Play Series). The Detroit-area's only GLBT short play festival is striving to provide early-career writers the opportunity to see their work produced, giving them what is oft-needed exposure.
The plays submitted should have a performance time of 30 minutes or less and deal directly with issues or characters that are identified as gay/lesbian/transgender, or contain a gay sensibility. From the initial submission pool, a final line up will be chosen by a panel of judges to be performed at The Ringwald Theatre in June, 2014, at the 5th Annual GPS.
From those performed, an audience poll will be conducted to select one winning script, actor, actress, and director.
The 2013 Festival netted wins for Mark Harvey Levine's The Loose Ends as Best Script and Best Actress, Cassandra McCarthy. Justin and Kyle Shop at IKEA by Kent Forsberg garnered a Best Director award for Dyan Bailey and a Best Actor award for Jeff Mansk, who tied with Pete Podalski for his portrayal of Batperson in Daniel Curzon's Batperson and Robbie: Cute Meat.
All submissions must be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The submitted script must be the script proposed for presentation, with no major alterations necessary.
- Please provide an approximate running time and a one sentence synopsis in the body of the email.
- Only one entry per playwright will be accepted.
- Neither fax nor paper submissions will be accepted.
- Submission materials will not be returned.
- Previously submitted scripts will not be eligible.
- The deadline for submissions is April 12, 2014.
- The final line-up will be announced in May, 2014.
The Ringwald opened their doors seven years ago on May 11, 2007 with Fatal Attraction: A Greek Tragedy. Quickly, The Ringwald became a mainstay of Detroit's theatre community. Past Productions include: August: Osage County, When the Rain Stops Falling,, The Bad Seed, Making Porn, The Book of Liz, Rent, and Love! Valour! Compassion!. The Ringwald was named 2009, 2012 and 2013 Best Theatrical Troupe by Real Detroit and Best Place to See Local Theatre in 2010, 2011 and 2012 by the readers of Metro Times.