WAKE UP with BWW 7/3/14 - FROM HERE TO ETERNITY on the Big Screen, 54 BELOW SINGS 1776 and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: FROM HERE TO ETERNITY goes from stage to screen in the UK, and 54 Below hosts some 'BITCHING & BELTING' and revives 1776 tonight!
Next up in our series of Broadway stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Ben Fankhauser (portrait by Walter McBride), who last starred in NEWSIES. Amp yourself up for Independence Day -- the weekend is so close! -- with a cuppa and the news!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Pearl Harbor onstage and on the big screen! FROM HERE TO ETERNITY hits cinemas in the UK today...
- Robin De Jesus and more take the stage alongside Michael Gioia in 'BITCHING & BELTING' at 54 Below this evening; plus, the club celebrates the holiday with 54 BELOW SINGS 1776 tonight!
- And THE QUALMS World Premiere, directed by Tony winner Pam MacKinnon, begins performances tonight at Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre.
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Vanessa Williams and Julian Ovenden will lead the New York Philharmonic's SHOW BOAT in November! See the full casting notice here.
- Edward Norton and Kate Roche Hope have joined the Signature Theatre board as Chairman and President!
- Adam Gwon and Sarah Hammond's STRING and more are among NAMT's 2014 Festival of New Musicals lineup.
- This fall, artist Rudolf Bauer will be highlighted in a new play off-Broadway, as well as a TV documentary on THIRTEEN and a NYC exhibition...
- TITANIC might not be steaming back onto Broadway yet, but Chicago's Griffin Theatre is launching its 2014-15 season with a new, intimate version!
- Sad news in Philly -- Prince Music Theater will officially close at the end of November unless more funding is found...
- Center Stage's digital theater project MY AMERICA will begin streaming as a feature-length film on Fandor tomorrow!
- Seth Rudetsky is set to "deconstruct Broadway" across the pond for one night only this August!
- Richard Bean's GREAT BRITAIN will transfer to the West End this fall...
- RSC's HENRY IV, PART 2 hits big screens throughout the U.S. this weekend.
- And finally, rumors are floating around that Idina Menzel and/or Bernadette Peters could be the new hosts of ABC's THE VIEW...
Broadway Weather Forecast: AM thunderstorms with clouds in the afternoon (and some more storms). High of 87. Definitely going to rain. Crossing our fingers the sun comes out for the holiday tomorrow!
Quote of the Day: One man's trash is another man's treasure. We could listen to theatre talk all day...
In the theatre, people talk. Talk, talk until the cows come home about journeys of discovery and about what Hazlitt thought of a line of Shakespeare. I can't stand it.
-- Anthony Hopkins (via BrainyQuote)
What we're looking forward to watching: PRIDE, which opens in the UK in September. The film is directed by Matthew Warchus and features a slew of West End talent, including Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, and Dominic West. Watch the trailer below!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Tonys record-holder Audra McDonald, who turns 44 today!
Six-time Tony winner McDonald is currently starring in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill on Broadway. She last appeared in The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess, 110 in the Shade, A Raisin in the Sun, Henry IV, Marie Christine, Ragtime, Master Class, Something Wonderful, Carousel and The Secret Garden. She also recently appeared on television in NBC's The Sound of Music Live!
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!