Host a Tony-Viewing Party Like a Pro with Broadway Drink Recipes from Sweet Hospitality Group
The 2014 Tony Awards are this Sunday, June 8th at 8pm! Host a Tony-Viewing party like a pro with recipes from the Sweet Hospitality Group and Michael DeMono, drink dramaturg and mixologist. Recipes from drinks served at Tony-nominated shows "Beautiful," "Aladdin," "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder," "Bullets Over Broadway," and "Casa Valentina" are listed below!
The premiere concessionaire and caterers for on- and off-Broadway and private clients nationwide, Sweet Hospitality Group has been adding its dramatic, delicious touch to theaters, parties and events for nearly 30 years. With current projects including "Cabaret, "Aladdin", "Kinky Boots", "Jersey Boys" and "The Book of Mormon," Sweet Hospitality Group, has been revolutionizing the theatre-going experience since its inception. When concessions were anything but sophisticated (think solely of Milk Duds and Twizzlers), it was the Sweet Hospitality Group unprecedented vision to create more elegant and creative selections that thrilled the patron and reflected each show, designed to extend the theatrical experience to the food and beverages show-goers could enjoy throughout the performance.
It was Sweet Hospitality Group that introduced the specialty drink to Broadway, as well as the now-ubiquitous souvenir show cup. And, it was Sweet Hospitality Group who first innovated how the bar itself is used, pioneering production-specific food, beverage and presentations that begin the show experience long before the curtain rises. In the last three years, Sweet Hospitality Group, New York's premiere concessionaire, has tripled in size and serves over 3 million show-goers each year both on-and-off Broadway, working in more than one third of Broadway theaters and important non-profit theaters. Its superlative catering is perhaps the city's most delicious open secret, featured at notable events of every size and scale. A majority of the staff is comprised of actors and theatre aficionados who choose to work at Sweet Hospitality Group in order to personally contribute to the theater community every day.
"The Artist" Served at BULLETS OVER BROADWAY
½ oz St. Germain
½ oz Lemon Juice
½ oz Hibiscus-Mint Syrup* (or commercial hibiscus syrup)
· Fill a shaker with ice
· Add St. Germain, lemon juice, hibiscus syrup and bitters and shake well
· Strain into a champagne flute or coupe
· Add Prosecco to fill
· Garnish with hibiscus flower or mint sprig
*Hibiscus-Mint Syrup (makes about 1 ½ cups)
1 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
2 Hibiscus Tea Bags
1 Peppermint Tea Bag
· Add sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
· Stir until sugar is dissolved
· Add tea bags and steep for 15 minutes
· Remove tea bags and allow to cool
"One Fine Cocktail" Served at BEAUTIFUL
3 oz Bourbon
1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1 oz Fresh Orange Juice
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
2 sage Leaves
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
· Combine bourbon, juices, syrup and sage leaves in a shaker filled with ice.
· Shake well and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
· Top with a splash of ginger ale and seltzer and garnish with a sage leaf.
"The Heir Apparent" Served at A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER
1½ oz Gin
¾ oz Ruby Port
1 oz Lemon Juice
½ oz Rosemary Simple Syrup*
2 dashes Orange Bitters
· Fill a 10oz cup with ice
· Add gin, port, lemon and syrup
· Add tonic to fill
· Top with bitters
· Flip to mix
"Prince Ali's Fabulous Tea" (non-alcoholic) Served at ALADDIN
(makes one 2 quart pitcher)
3 ½ cups Boiling Water
5 Black Tea Bags
1 Small Bunch Fresh Mint
1-2 inch Piece of Ginger (thinly sliced)
¾ cup Honey (add more or less to taste)
4 cups Cold Water
· Steep tea bags, mint and ginger slices in boiling water in a heat proof container for 20-30 minutes.
· Strain to remove solids
· Add honey and stir until dissolved
· Add cold water and mix well
"Bungalow Bee" Served at CASA VALENTINA
2 oz Gin
1 slice of fresh Ginger (about ½ inch)
1 oz Honey Syrup (1 part Honey and 1 part hot water)
1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
3 dashes Bar Keep Spiced Lavender Bitters
· In a mixing glass, muddle ginger and honey syrup
· Add ice, gin, bitters and a small splash of seltzer
· Shake gently just to combine
· Strain into a 10 oz glass filled with ice
· Garnish with a lemon twist or lavender sprig