Advertisement

Page: 1

Looking for Theatre Podcasts that are NOT about musicals

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hey all, I just started getting into podcasts recently, but I've been hesitant to start any theatre-related podcasts because it seems like all the ones that come up are related to musicals and/or are very Broadway-centric. And that's just not what I'm looking for in a theatre podcast.

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts that focus more on plays and/or Off-Broadway and/or theatre history? It can either be interviews with artists or other kinds of discussion-based podcasts. I also enjoy following the London theatre scene, so that's a potential area of interest as well.  

Thanks! 

raddersons Profile Photoraddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

JBroadway said: "Hey all, I just started getting into podcasts recently, but I've been hesitant to start any theatre-related podcasts because it seems like all the ones that come up are related to musicals and/or are very Broadway-centric. And that's just not what I'm looking for in a theatre podcast.

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts that focus more on plays and/or Off-Broadway and/or theatre history? It can either be interviews with artists or other kinds of discussion-based podcasts. I also enjoy following the London theatre scene, so that's a potential area of interest as well.

Thanks!
"

3 On The Aisle -- sometimes their conversations are very broadway-centric, but they typically tie it into larger themes in theater throughout the country. It's less "These are the broadway shows I love!" and more "How is the theater-scape changing through the country"

jbird5
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Maxamoo is a diverse bunch of theater connected millennials who tend to focus more on the off Broadway scene. Broadway Radio also has some short features on weekends that often are focused on plays.
Harriet Craig Profile PhotoHarriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
Understudy
Understudy

Public Square (the Public Theater)

Live at the Lortel (interviews, conducted live at the Lortel, with people involved in the theater in various capacities; the one I listened to most recently was with John Benjamin Hickey, but they have also done interviews with, among others, Rebecca Taichman, Richard Nelson, and John Doyle)

Shakespeare Unlimited (podcast of the Folger Shakespeare Library; obviously Shakespeare-centric, often interviews with people who have written books about Shakespeare)

whatdoesntkillme
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

The Context is a great podcast about dramaturgy

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love it! Thanks folks! Keep ‘em coming if you have them!
The Distinctive Baritone Profile PhotoThe Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I’ve listened to a lot of The Compass, in which the host interviews other struggling actors (not famous Broadway people). It can be kind of depressing, but is much more “real” than the more publicity-oriented ones.

Downstage Center is an oldie but a goodie with lots of theater legends of all kinds.