Page: 1


Advice on buying tickets

Dave13 Profile PhotoDave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
Broadway Star
joined:6/4/11
Broadway Star
joined:
6/4/11
Advice on buying tickets#1
Posted: 9/13/19 at 4:39pm

I am getting sick of the outrageous prices of Broadway tickets lately. Its getting to the point, where you have to spend $200 or more just for a good seat. Even Hadestown is about $400 for a good seat. 

For years, I have been coming to New York to see a marathon of Broadway shows. I typically come in the summer and winter. I usually buy my tickets in advance through the show's website. I know I am paying top dollar. At least I have the comfort of knowing that I have all of my tickets in hand and I am guaranteed a good seat. 

I have been watching Ticketmaster and Stubhub. I noticed that you can usually find very good seats a day or two before the show at almost half of the price or less. 

I am tempted to come this winter without tickets and test whether I can get good seats for much less than I have been paying. 

My marathons are typically all of the new shows, so tickets are usually in high demand and not on TKTS. Based upon everyone's experience, will I be able to see all the shows I want and pay a fraction of the cost if I show up in NYC without tickets in hand?

 

Not to be confused with Dave19.
ccbway
Stand-by
joined:5/4/17
Stand-by
joined:
5/4/17
Advice on buying tickets#2
Posted: 9/13/19 at 4:45pm
Unfortunately, I think it depends and is really on a show-by-show basis. It fluctuates wildly depending on what you want to see. Most shows I would imagine you wouldn't have too many issues, but it can change just based on the week you arrive.
BalconyClub Profile PhotoBalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
Broadway Star
joined:10/10/17
Broadway Star
joined:
10/10/17
Advice on buying tickets#3
Posted: 9/13/19 at 5:00pm
I'm like you - I generally arrive in NY from Chicago twice each year with all tickets bought ahead of time. I can relax.

But in hometown Chicago, I'll totally do StubHub, lotteries, and HotTix. If I fail to score tickets one night, there's always tomorrow.
Dkinny23
Stand-by
joined:7/27/17
Stand-by
joined:
7/27/17
Advice on buying tickets#4
Posted: 9/13/19 at 5:02pm
Agreed with the above poster. What shows are you specifically trying to see?

From my experience, I can tell you I have essentially never bought a ticket in advance and always do rush/lottery/standing room. The only thing is that they typically aren’t great seats - often times partial view or if not than extreme sides which may as well be partial view. Every now and then stub hub has some good prices too, especially close to show time. TKTS sounds like a great option for you depending on what shows you’re trying to see, but you’re right in that a lot of the big popular shows often times are not on there. While there is a $12.50 per ticket fee, the app TodayTix actually has some decent prices depending on what you’re seeing and when. May be worth checking that out.

Another option is you can go to the box office and just buy tickets in person - you avoid the online fees that way and sometimes if it’s a same day ticket (normal ticket, not rush) it could be an amazing seat. Would assume prices would be on the higher side if you do that though, not totally sure though. Would assume it’s either very high (premium seat) or on the cheaper side since the theater is trying to sell their remaining tickets. Someone who buys same day at the box office tickets can probably comment on that tactic better than me
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
joined:8/5/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/5/14
Advice on buying tickets#5
Posted: 9/13/19 at 5:12pm
I say give it a try. I live here in nyc and always do rush/sro/lottery/mistake sale or deep discounted tickets when seeing a bway show for the first time. If I love the show, then I’ll pony up and pay full price to sit in the seat I wish to sit in.

One thing I’ve noticed with new shows that don’t have a good advance is that they’ll start to have discount codes during previews. If you see a discount code pop up, then buy that ticket in advance to save yourself some time while in nyc and give yourself a little peace of mind.

Good luck!
Dave13 Profile PhotoDave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
Broadway Star
joined:6/4/11
Broadway Star
joined:
6/4/11
Advice on buying tickets#6
Posted: 9/13/19 at 5:16pm

Dkinny23 said: "Agreed with the above poster. What shows are you specifically trying to see?

From my experience, I can tell you I have essentially never bought a ticket in advance and always do rush/lottery/standing room. The only thing is that they typically aren’t great seats - often times partial view or if not than extreme sides which may as well be partial view. Every now and then stub hub has some good prices too, especially close to show time. TKTS sounds like a great option for you depending on what shows you’re trying to see, but you’re right in that a lot of the big popular shows often times are not on there. While there is a $12.50 per ticket fee, the app TodayTix actually has some decent prices depending on what you’re seeing and when. May be worth checking that out.

Another option is you can go to the box office and just buy tickets in person - you avoid the online fees that way and sometimes if it’s a same day ticket (normal ticket, not rush) it could be an amazing seat. Would assume prices would be on the higher side if you do that though, not totally sure though. Would assume it’s either very high (premium seat) or on the cheaper side since the theater is trying to sell their remaining tickets. Someone who buys same day at the box office tickets can probably comment on that tactic better than me
"

For my upcoming trip, I want to see Hadestown, Jagged Little Pill and Moulin Rouge. So certainly the big tickets at the moment. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Rainah
Broadway Star
joined:11/24/16
Broadway Star
joined:
11/24/16
Advice on buying tickets#7
Posted: 9/13/19 at 5:24pm

Depends on the shows. I would say overall you will likely see SOME of the shows on your list but you're unlikely to see all, just because of how the odds stack. It all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. Wait in line for 6+ hours for a rush ticket? (Or 3-4 hours, depending on the show) Stand for the entire show and get standby? Pay more and ensure a good seat? Or roll the dice on maybe you get a cheap ticket maybe you get no ticket (Stubhub method). We're rolling the dice a bit for our second show next week (no tix bought yet, looking at two shows) and shelled out $250 each for Hadestown. Depends what matters.

UncleCharlie
Broadway Legend
joined:6/26/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/26/16
Advice on buying tickets#8
Posted: 9/13/19 at 6:01pm

You've been watching StubHub and TM so essentially, you have the same info the rest of us have. If last minute tickets are becoming available often enough to lead you to believe there's a good chance it will happen at least once per show during your winter trip assuming you're not coming during the holidays, go for it. If it's only once in a while and you absolutely have to see these shows on this trip, then don't risk it. I'm visiting NY now and will end up seeing 8-9 bway shows and 3 off. The only tickets I bought in advance were a $25 ticket to Betrayal, $10 first preview tickets to Rose Tattoo and Scotland, PA and a $99 side Orchestra ticket to Moulin Rouge. Everything else are rushes and lotteries. I'm flexible on partial views to save a bunch of $ and can live if a few lines of dialogue are delivered out of my sightline.

Updated On: 9/13/19 at 06:01 PM
Dkinny23
Stand-by
joined:7/27/17
Stand-by
joined:
7/27/17
Advice on buying tickets#9
Posted: 9/13/19 at 8:56pm

UncleCharlie said: "The only tickets I bought in advance were a $25 ticket to Betrayal, $10 first preview tickets to Rose Tattoo and Scotland, PA and a $99 side Orchestra ticket to Moulin Rouge. "

Hey how did you get a $10 ticket to Scotland, PA?

 

#1Elphie Profile Photo#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
Broadway Legend
joined:6/24/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/24/04
Advice on buying tickets#10
Posted: 9/13/19 at 9:29pm

Dkinny23 said: 
"Hey how did you get a $10 ticket to Scotland, PA?"

I assume through Access10; Roundabout sells $10 tickets to the first four previews of each of their shows. (They sell very quickly.)

ccbway
Stand-by
joined:5/4/17
Stand-by
joined:
5/4/17
Advice on buying tickets#11
Posted: 9/13/19 at 10:21pm
Dave13 said: "For my upcoming trip, I want to see Hadestown, Jagged Little Pill and Moulin Rouge. So certainly the big tickets at the moment."



Well JLP hasn't started yet, so it's hard to know, but those other two don't really offer you a lot of options and the ticket prices have been very high. I've seen scalpers consistently outside of Moulin Rouge, so you might be able to get something, but their seats are mostly pretty terrible. If you're limited by the time of your trip, I don't think you really have much choice. I think cancellation tickets are generally available - neither of these shows have reached Hamilton at its peak levels, but that still involves waiting in line, uncertainty about seats or even availability

UncleCharlie
Broadway Legend
joined:6/26/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
6/26/16
Advice on buying tickets#12
Posted: 9/14/19 at 12:59am

#1Elphie said: "Dkinny23 said:
"Hey how did you get a $10 ticket to Scotland, PA?"

I assume through Access10; Roundabout sells $10 tickets to the first four previews of each of their shows. (They sell very quickly.)
"

Correct.

Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
joined:8/5/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/5/14
Advice on buying tickets#13
Posted: 9/14/19 at 8:27am

When in the winter do you plan on coming to NYC? If you're coming during low season, then I'd wait to buy tix when you get here. 

Dave13 Profile PhotoDave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
Broadway Star
joined:6/4/11
Broadway Star
joined:
6/4/11
Advice on buying tickets#14
Posted: 9/14/19 at 1:04pm

Wick3 said: "When in the winter do you plan on coming to NYC? If you're coming during low season, then I'd wait to buy tix when you get here."

I plan on coming in 12/20-12/25.  The week before Xmas seems to die down until 12/26 when things get out of control again until 1/1.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.
EllieRose2 Profile PhotoEllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
Broadway Star
joined:11/22/17
Broadway Star
joined:
11/22/17
Advice on buying tickets#15
Posted: 9/14/19 at 2:13pm

The week leading up to Christmas is the busiest, most expensive time of year in NYC. January is when everything dies down and almost every show is discounted. You will be paying so much more money in December vs. January. 

Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
joined:8/5/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/5/14
Advice on buying tickets#16
Posted: 9/14/19 at 2:47pm

Ooooh I consider the period between Thanksgiving until Jan 6th or so to be high season on Broadway.

Here's a link to Dec 2018 broadway grosses:

http://www.playbill.com/grosses?week=2018-12-30

Over 15 shows had over 95% ticket sold during the week of Dec 30th, 2018. 

I think it's still possible to arrive in NYC without buying a ticket (though I you may still pay $$$ prices.)  You can do SRO but obviously there's no guarantees and it may require a few hours wait in cold weather. Also check out the last minute SH or TMresale methods too. Or try the cancellation line.